Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree34Likes
  • 25 Post By giggabotch
  • 3 Post By F2
  • 3 Post By GV2012
  • 1 Post By howarmat
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2813366EB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Thumbs up How I used my PlayBook last weekend

Hi Everyone. I thought I would share my latest experience with my PlayBook this past weekend. Totally unplanned.

I am the chief engineer of a major market radio station in Canada, and this past weekend I agreed I would fill in for one of my techs at a live-to-air event at a local night club. Basically what happens is the music for the evening is played from the club, we pause three times an hour for commercials to be played from our studios downtown.

Well as it turns out the operator at the studio end didn't show up for his shift at the appointed time. The DJ who was finishing his show had another gig to go to and was adamant that he could not stick around. I told the DJ to go saying to him I would figure something out.

What I had in mind was to remotely connect to our studio music automation system using my PlayBook bridged and tethered to my 9860 and my logmein account. Up until this point I've only used logmein on the PlayBook to troubleshoot computers back at the studios. I also used my Blackberry phone as a mouse because it's more accurate than my fingers given the size of the desktop on the PlayBook screen.
    I figured if this didnít work that I would be driving back to the station to operate the show missing one commercial break in the process.

Surprisingly all went very well. I was able to play the commercials from the club, deleting the filler music out of the system, back-up music in case the live-to-air doesnít make it to air, and lining up the next set of commercials as well as dropping in station id's.
    I called in the missing studio operator who was across town. I was able to remotely run things for 1 1/2 hours until he arrived, at which point my phone battery was almost dead.

Needless to say I love this thing! The benefit to me has been that I don't have to carry my laptop as much. In situations where I wouldn't carry my laptop, I'm always have my PlayBook because it's so portable, I don't even think twice about not carrying it everywhere I go
    BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook 32gig
    Thanked by 8:
    axllebeer (01-03-2013),  Bumble2000 (01-03-2013),  bungaboy (01-03-2013),  pelletizer (01-03-2013),  Scotter75 (01-03-2013),  Shaif (01-05-2013),  Thunderbuck (01-04-2013) 
  2. tfp
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,767 Global Posts

Nice to hear Glad the PlayBook bailed you out in your moment of need
    Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Great story...
    Thanks,
    Sriman
    Meeting Minutes Pro - Become a Pro at attending, organizing, tracking, manging and distributing meetings
    Meeting Minutes - A 3 day trial version of Meeting Minutes Pro
    www.srimanapps.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    13,790 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me for my pin!

Default How I used my PlayBook last weekend

Great story! I love hearing how people use their playbook in different situations.

Tapatalking

Definitely needs to be highlighted by CB and maybe even RIM!
    DocDRM, axllebeer and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

RIM marketing dept, this guy just wrote your next commercial for you!
    just_luc, DocDRM and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry User

That's awesome! Good work!
    Chapple13

Z10 and loving it!
    Torch 9800 (retired, not forgotten)
    PB 32 gb
    PB 64 gb

We don't need no stinking Ipads!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,774 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of phones: BB!

Quote Originally Posted by GV2012 View Post
    RIM marketing dept, this guy just wrote your next commercial for you!
    This^^^^ (but wait, and pretend you did it with your new BB10 phone)
    It was recently pointed out to me that SugarSync was still in my signature, and no longer available for free. It was a nice (free) ride, SugarSync, but I'm seeing Box and Dropbox now, via BB10 integration.
    CrackBerry Addict

What a great story! I agree this is a BB commercial if I ever heard one. At the least they could use your story and set you up with a juicy new BB10 phone and keyboard for your PB.

Of course, you do realize you just set yourself up for being the go-to guy for every single crisis that comes along at the station, right LOL? I hope they are paying for your data plan.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    317 Global Posts

Great story. I've had more than a few situations like that.
    [troll]
    Though it's quite a bit neater with Android and iOS.
    [/troll]
    CrackBerry Addict

nice read. i remember seeing a thread titled "what exactly is the playbook good for?" recently. stories like this help to offset the ignorance.
    Z10 - Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Nice job OP and great post. Good to hear this frowned upon device still kicks ****.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,012 Global Posts

Default Re: How I used my PlayBook last weekend

Is that a sideloaded Android app?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Gigabotch, you shiuld write your experience into the big hats at Rim. This should be a win win for both.
    And cc CB Kevin if he hasn't read this. I'm sure he has a direct line to someone important
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Re: How I used my PlayBook last weekend

wow that's a pretty cool story of how versatile the playbook can be
    Living the world of Blackberry and a fan of the comeback!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,726 Global Posts
    PIN
    With Needle

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    "Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew" (Tank Pilot)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by giggabotch View Post
    Hi Everyone. I thought I would share my latest experience with my PlayBook this past weekend. Totally unplanned.

I am the chief engineer of a major market radio station in Canada, and this past weekend I agreed I would fill in for one of my techs at a live-to-air event at a local night club. Basically what happens is the music for the evening is played from the club, we pause three times an hour for commercials to be played from our studios downtown.

Well as it turns out the operator at the studio end didn't show up for his shift at the appointed time. The DJ who was finishing his show had another gig to go to and was adamant that he could not stick around. I told the DJ to go saying to him I would figure something out.

What I had in mind was to remotely connect to our studio music automation system using my PlayBook bridged and tethered to my 9860 and my logmein account. Up until this point I've only used logmein on the PlayBook to troubleshoot computers back at the studios. I also used my Blackberry phone as a mouse because it's more accurate than my fingers given the size of the desktop on the PlayBook screen.
    I figured if this didn’t work that I would be driving back to the station to operate the show missing one commercial break in the process.

Surprisingly all went very well. I was able to play the commercials from the club, deleting the filler music out of the system, back-up music in case the live-to-air doesn’t make it to air, and lining up the next set of commercials as well as dropping in station id's.
    I called in the missing studio operator who was across town. I was able to remotely run things for 1 1/2 hours until he arrived, at which point my phone battery was almost dead.

Needless to say I love this thing! The benefit to me has been that I don't have to carry my laptop as much. In situations where I wouldn't carry my laptop, I'm always have my PlayBook because it's so portable, I don't even think twice about not carrying it everywhere I go
    Thanks for sharing this story. You ingenuity in using technology reminds me of the TV show MacGyver :-)
    BumbleBee Computing: Developer of native BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook apps
    Beyond Voice Recorder High fidelity recording; wave-form visualization; set and playback selection
    Think-4-U Music Player Adaptive & custom playlists; gesture navigation; sleep-timer (CrackBerry review)
    AutoPlay Media Player Continuous play of your HD videos; auto-bookmarking; gestures enabled; SRT subtitle support; shuffle mode; favorites playlist (CrackBerry review)
    Follow us on twitter
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,103 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Definitely needs to be highlighted by CB and maybe even RIM!
    Totally agree. This is an awesome PlayBook to the rescue story. CrackBerry mods, blog this up for those that might not read this thread! CBK, are you out there tonight?
    Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.

The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
    CrackBerry Addict

Powerful, portable, kicking *** PlayBook!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,103 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3

Quote Originally Posted by ralfyguy View Post
    Is that a sideloaded Android app?
    I am assuming he is using the browser. I use LogMeIn too and have always done it with the browser with BlackBerry remote as the OP described.

Here is my story:

LogMeIn is still pretty darn cool

i really hope logmein actually come up with an app. the browser version work but this is an app i have been hoping for since the PB release. I use it every other day probably on my android devices
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    axllebeer likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,103 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3

God lets hope so. I mean, yeah the browser works great, but of course this is something that an app would be best for. No need for a pointer, designed for touch would be a great plus.

CrackBerry User

PIN
    2813366EB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble2000 View Post
    Thanks for sharing this story. You ingenuity in using technology reminds me of the TV show MacGyver :-)
    LOL, That's what one of my techs told me when he heard about my story.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2813366EB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Thanks for the responses everybody. when I bought my PlayBook I didn't realize at the time that it would become an indispesable tool for my job. I also can connect directly to my transmitter site for remote control, as well as access our office terminal sever.