Thanks to the member (not named here) who reported a persistent troll instead of responding to add fuel to the flames.
    I guess the problem with reporting is that ...at what point does it become reportable?
    There is a fine line. Single offenses do not seem to be a strong enough violation, only worthy of a retort. It is the accumulation of multiple poor attitude harassments that become annoying and irritating.

My apologies for responding, but individual comments did not seem serious enough to be worth reporting, yet annoying enough not to let get away unacknowledged..

It's very difficult to ignore questions/comments directed right to you, or at someone else who doesn't deserve it, even if they are trollish.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-25-11 at 01:23 AM.
    09-25-11 01:04 AM
    Not that I'm discounting your cleverness, but I find the Blackberry Presenter works very well for giving presentations using just my phone... I love my Playbook, but the presenter is much smaller to carry around than a laptop and supports vga output along with svideo. Plus, I picked up my presenter for a measly 15 bucks on eBay So, you might look into it if you don't want to lug a laptop around...
    Well, that's a good point. With that solution, you'll have to carry around: a Laptop and the Playbook. But: You'll have a WYSIWYG-solution. The presenter doesn't support all fonts and only basic transitions. Sometimes it's quite hard to place a picture. What you see on your phone even differs from what the audience sees. So, for the first few times, you'll have to put a lot of work in the presentation.
    Maybe it's time for a next gen presenter that can be connected both through the BB phone and the Playbook, with full (or better) support of Powerpoint presentations.
    P.S.: Bought mine for 25 Euro - it's cool, but definitely not perfect.
    09-25-11 01:46 AM
    To the OP, thanks for your feedback on this great capability, however, I am at a loose end. I followed your advice re: downloaded IMT VNC to Playbook, TightVNC to Laptop and Connectify-Me to Laptop.

I'm not sure of the configuration process from here. My Laptop is currently acting as a hotspot through Connectify-Me and I can see and connect to it through the Playbook and see the connection on the Laptop ( I guess it's the PB) I see two numbers under "clients" tab:

70-d4-f2-31-00-57

I guess this is the PB?...... so... I start IMT VNC on the PB and hit connect and it tells me "connection lost". I open the "tools" tab and have put the 192.... ip number into the host field, port is 5900 and password and test VNC connection = "connection successful to VNC server". Still get connection lost when I hit the connect button.

Tried connecting through normal WIFI/router and get message "An IO error occurred ioError, Error #2031"

Please let me know what I am missing.. Is it configuring the tightVNC app on the laptop, wrong IP?

Thanks for any and all feedback
    Last edited by Scrapegoat; 09-25-11 at 08:29 AM.
    09-25-11 08:08 AM
    Wrong IP from the looks of it. On PlayBook put in the IP of your laptop in IMT VNC. i.e. get the 192. address of your laptop's wifi network adapter. Get it using ipconfig...mine gets set to 192.168.100.1 for example.
    Last edited by d3adcrab; 09-25-11 at 11:45 AM.
    09-25-11 11:42 AM
    Thanks so much for all the ideas.
    I'm struggling to find a presenting solution in a classroom with a very old projector (no HDMI input), a very old computer and I'd rather not have to load my presentations onto it (limited software support, bad angle from the side of the classroom), and I don't own a laptop.
    :sigh:
    I'd rather have all my course slides on the PB and somehow feed that directly to the projector - or, better, wirelessly! - so I could actually walk around. IT won't let me send wireless to the old desktop in the room. This will take more thought, but all your ideas are inspiring me to keep working on it.
    Anyone else with creative PB presentation solutions, please do share!
    Last edited by klc99; 09-25-11 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    Spamcube likes this.
    09-25-11 03:52 PM
    I am having similar problems to Scrapegoat... I downloaded the Tight VNC on my laptop and on my Playbook, while having Connectifyme running. I configured my ip address into tools on my Playbook, with port 5900 and I entered the password I setup during the installation of tight vnc. When connecting it gives me the message "An IO error occurred ioError, Error #2031", any ideas? thankss
    09-25-11 07:58 PM
    Wrong IP from the looks of it. On PlayBook put in the IP of your laptop in IMT VNC. i.e. get the 192. address of your laptop's wifi network adapter. Get it using ipconfig...mine gets set to 192.168.100.1 for example.
    Thanks for the great feedback, You got me up and running. I was confused as to what IP address to use where LOL. The Connectify-Me address differed in the last 2 (extra) numbers compared to the IPv4 address shown in the network adapter.

Now when I setup, I just go straight to the computer adapter and put whatever number is displayed there into the IMT VNC app on Playbook and away we go

This is a link to my other thread where the connection can be seen in real life.

Again, many thanks for this great thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...oolkit-654533/
    09-26-11 12:14 AM
    I am having similar problems to Scrapegoat... I downloaded the Tight VNC on my laptop and on my Playbook, while having Connectifyme running. I configured my ip address into tools on my Playbook, with port 5900 and I entered the password I setup during the installation of tight vnc. When connecting it gives me the message "An IO error occurred ioError, Error #2031", any ideas? thankss
    See the advice I gave Scrapegoat and give that a try, i.e

09-26-11 03:17 AM
    Hi Guys.

Thought I'd share my setup for wirelessly using the Playbook to remote control my PowerPoint presentations.
    Hi there. Thanks so much for your tips. I've followed your instructions and it works great! I'll be using this setup for my presentations, however I've 2 questions that I hope someone can clarify:

1. How does this setup differ from RDM+, considering that it's a paid app, and basically your setup is also a remote desktop controller?

2. I know this uses the hotspot created on the laptop, however is there a way to connect remotely through the internet by not going through Connectify?

Up until now, I've been looking for ways and means to use my PB to function as an external screen viewer and presentation controller. The external screen viewer allows me to view my timings, notes and subsequent slides, but I've not found anything that can be used with the PB. I've tried using Slideshow-to-go with a HDMI, but while the output is brilliant, all the slide transitions and animations go whack. This setup currently is a great in-between while I wait for an app that does this.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much agaim!
    09-26-11 03:23 AM
    Thanks so much for all the ideas.
    I'm struggling to find a presenting solution in a classroom with a very old projector (no HDMI input), a very old computer and I'd rather not have to load my presentations onto it (limited software support, bad angle from the side of the classroom), and I don't own a laptop.
    :sigh:
    I'd rather have all my course slides on the PB and somehow feed that directly to the projector - or, better, wirelessly! - so I could actually walk around. IT won't let me send wireless to the old desktop in the room. This will take more thought, but all your ideas are inspiring me to keep working on it.
    Anyone else with creative PB presentation solutions, please do share!
    The other option for PB straight to old projectors (with only VGA type inputs) is to use an HDMI to VGA adapter. This has been posted a while back. Need to be sure to buy a compatible adapter. Look through the online HP store and search for their HDMI VGA adapter, its pricey but aparently does work. That plus a cheap coupler to connect it to your standard PB HDMI cable will get you going, albeit not wirelessly.
    klc99 likes this.
    09-26-11 03:28 AM
    1. How does this setup differ from RDM+, considering that it's a paid app, and basically your setup is also a remote desktop controller?

2. I know this uses the hotspot created on the laptop, however is there a way to connect remotely through the internet by not going through Connectify?
    Not an expert but from what I understand (someone correct me if I am wrong as I don't use RDM+ personally):

1. You are correct, RDM+ is a paid app vs this which is free. They use different protocols but are both essentially using the same basic client-server architecture. i.e. RDM+ requires a software installation on the pc just as VNC requires a pc installation. Can't speak for performance as I use only VNC.

2. Many ways to use VNC without Connectify to get at content on a pc using VNC. If PB and PC are both on the same WIFI network already for example then this would work, or they can simply communicate with each other through your internet connection if it is fast enough. VNC has already been used by many people to connect to their remote servers over the Internet. How to do this has been posted before by others and involves port forwarding, setting up dynamic DNS if you don't use static IPs, etc. Haven't tried it in a presentation context, so don't know if it is feasible. Perhaps play around and let us know.
    09-26-11 03:41 AM
    Not an expert but from what I understand (someone correct me if I am wrong as I don't use RDM+ personally):

1. You are correct, RDM+ is a paid app vs this which is free. They use different protocols but are both essentially using the same basic client-server architecture. i.e. RDM+ requires a software installation on the pc just as VNC requires a pc installation. Can't speak for performance as I use only VNC.

2. Many ways to use VNC without Connectify to get at content on a pc using VNC. If PB and PC are both on the same WIFI network already for example then this would work, or they can simply communicate with each other through your internet connection if it is fast enough. VNC has already been used by many people to connect to their remote servers over the Internet. How to do this has been posted before by others and involves port forwarding, setting up dynamic DNS if you don't use static IPs, etc. Haven't tried it in a presentation context, so don't know if it is feasible. Perhaps play around and let us know.
    Hi d3adcrab. Thanks so much for your quick reply. I'll muck around and report back if there's anything interesting. Thanks again for a great tip.
    09-26-11 03:47 AM
    this is an awesome post! thanks for sharing
    09-26-11 09:03 AM
    Well said mate!

You obviously have no experience speaking in large venues. If you did, you would know that most venues still have legacy tech and are set up for laptop connectivity via cables. Having something that works for say 5% of venues is not a smart thing to do, now is it?

Besides, I wont waste my time responding to such an obviously cynical post from an Android troll as to why it would be just as much effort to do this using android apps.

You do realize this is a BlackBerry PlayBook forum dont you? In case its hard for you to understand what that means... this is where PlayBook owners come to share information and ideas with each other to get the most from their devices. You have to be some kind of pathetic to hang around here trolling each day...which from your posts you clearly do. Why dont you just hang out with your Android loving buddies...sense some BB envy.
    09-26-11 09:17 AM
    Hi Guys.

Thought I'd share my setup for wirelessly using the Playbook to remote control my PowerPoint presentations.

My situation is that I give alot of presentations to large numbers of people. While I have used the HDMI cable to great success in smaller meeting rooms where mobility wasn't an issue, I found in large venues that I needed something wireless and more portable. I personally like to walk about during any talk, changing audience perspectives and engaging with people while I present. So the idea of having an HDMI cable trailing me didn't really gel for these situations. Also, I hate looking back at the screen while talking so having the presentation in front of me so I can casually caste my eye over it is great. On top of that, I love to doodle over my presentations while I talk using the PowerPoint annotation tools (pen, highlight, etc).

In the absence of a suitable app, with some tinkering and some free PlayBook and PC software, I managed to turn my trusty tablet into an awesome walkabout wireless presentation tool. I know I may not the first to do this, however thought I'd share it for those with similar needs. Apologies and credit if this technique has been posted already.

My solution was to use plug my laptop into the conference projector, then create a personal wireless network through which I could use my PlayBook to remote control the presentation on the laptop. Found it to be excellent and with a bit of practice soon soon had full, smooth control over all the normal PowerPoint controls, slide transitions, annotation, etc. The best outcome was my credibility as an IT professional went through the roof walking about with my high-res PlayBook wireless remote terminal during the talk! Even had to remind a few people to stop straining and staring at my Playbook and start paying attention to what I was saying!!

What free software you will need:

1. Tight VNC - TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control / Remote Desktop Software
    2. IMT VNC - Playbook Appworld
    3. Connectify.ME - Connectify � Your Hotspot, Your Way

How to set up:

1. Install Tight VNC on the laptop you have your presentation on and which you will connect to your projector. (make sure to use a good secure password as the VNC service doesn't inform you of connections to your laptop and let it make the necessary adjustments to your windows firewall).

2. Install Connectify.me on your laptop. While you can create an Adhoc network on your windows box without this software, your PlayBook wont recognize it as it will be looking for an Access Point which is where Connectify.Me comes in as it gives you this option. Use the software to set up your mobile hotspot on your laptop using Access Point as the Security Mode. Be sure to use a good secure password again for your wifi network..you don't want a clever jack in your audience hacking your machine while you present! Again, make sure you set it up as an access point. I normally choose "No internet sharing" as I found the hotspot timed out while waiting for it.

3. Start your mobile hotspot and make note of the IP address on the adhoc network adapter of your laptop. You will need this to add into the Playbook. EDIT: You can get this by running a command prompt (cmd) on your laptop and typing ipconfig or by right clicking on your adhoc network wireless adapter and looking at the status.

4. Connect your Playbook to the wireless hotspot you just created.

5. Launch IMT VNC on your PlayBook and configure it with the IP address and password of the VNC service on your laptop.

Thats it, start your presentation on your laptop, enter presentation mode, connect with your Playbook and you are all good to go. Practice abit to get the hang of using the left, right and pointer buttons, screen transitions, onscreen drawing, etc and you will soon be impressing the heck out of your audience!!
    Thanks much for this idea! I plan on using it in presentations at my church. Since I have wi-fi at the church I found it is not necessary to use the Hot Spot utility.
    09-26-11 02:14 PM
    Thanks so much for this. Will be of great help for me. Installation went smooh. Little hiccup, but managed to solve it quickly.
    10-11-11 01:15 PM
    Can i get sound on the playbook this way as well? The reason i'm asking is i would like to set this up on my media pc at home and be able to leave the room (or even the house like to the backyard or garage) and not have to pause
    10-13-11 09:09 PM
    Can i get sound on the playbook this way as well? The reason i'm asking is i would like to set this up on my media pc at home and be able to leave the room (or even the house like to the backyard or garage) and not have to pause
    Probably not, but there may be a streaming app of some kind, which would also facilitate getting Netfilx and such streamed from your desktop.

Is this what subsonic, or the sonic air app does?
    Someone? I love when this thread pops up - one of my favs.

Waiting for the answer.
    10-13-11 10:35 PM
    Thanks for the info and can I set it up with my Mac ?
    11-27-11 06:51 AM
    I like the idea of using the Playbook with VNC to see into your laptop and control it while it is doing a presentation. It is like having a duplicate screen of your laptop that you are carrying around with you!! Awesome!

I have a SIMPLER question... if anyone has any ideas. I want to use my Playbook to do the actual presentation (NO LAPTOP), so I would connect it to the LCD projector using HDMI. Now I want to be able to walk around the room and advance slides without touching the playbook. I know that you can connect a bluetooth keyboard or mouse to it. Has anyone tried to present with one of these while standing? A regular mouse would need to run across a surface which is a bit awkward if you are walking around?

Has anyone tried to use a mouse as a remote to let you flip through slides? Perhaps
    something like a Gyration Air Mouse that lets you work without a surface, you just click on one of the buttons and it goes into "air mode" and uses it's spacial accelerometer to figure out which way you are trying to move it. Theoretically, you could gesture with this and control your playbook fully. I don't think scroll-wheel is supported yet so you probably couldn't use that to scroll through your slides. But maybe if you used an air mouse?

The other idea was this... With your Blackberry phone connected to the Playbook via Bluetooth (Bridge mode or whatever) if there was a way to have your presentation from the playbook show up also on your BB phone screen. Then when you just slide your finger across your Blackberry phone screen it would flip through slides that way. Basically, your BB phone acts as the controller for the Playbook. Does this exist? Even cooler, use your BB phone's accelerometer like a Wii-game console controller... You just wave it in the air one direction or another and it can advance the slides that way.

I would like to travel light. Therefore, if all I need is the LCD projector, Playbook and a mouse (or even better, my BB phone) it would be ideal. Most conference halls already have the projector, so I could just take my Playbook and phone/mouse and could do everything (no laptop required).

If I worked at an electronics store I could test a bunch of air-mouses out. Unfortunately, I don't have access to these things and don't want to buy only to find it won't work. Here are some examples I found as potential candidates:

Rechargeable Bluetooth Air Mouse - Omni Motion Techonology Corporation

What about this one: Mobile Mouse for the iPhone, iPod & iPad

I can't seem to find anything at BestBuy, Staples, FutureShop, etc... This cannot be that difficult a thing to implement. I'm sure air-mouse functionality is embedded in the actual mouse, and does not need special drivers. The use of the "air" instead of a surface by holding the trigger button on the mouse simply changes the mouse mode from using the laser surface tracking to determine motion, to the accelerometers. The mouse still sends the same bluetooth signals to whatever computer/tablet it's connected to in order to tell it how it moves. The computer/tablet doesn't know (or care) how the motion was "sensed" (optically or kinetically), so so I would assume?

Any thoughts APPRECIATED!

... Torch 9810 + Playbook user
    11-27-11 07:59 PM
    You would be doing your girlfriend and her daughter a favour by buying them a BlackBerry PlayBook at the recently reduced prices in time for the PBOS 2.0 release in October or November or maybe December.
    Seems that I was overly optimistic in my expectation of BBPSOS 2.0 release. February 2012 you say?
    01-10-12 05:20 PM
    I like the idea of using the Playbook with VNC to see into your laptop and control it while it is doing a presentation. It is like having a duplicate screen of your laptop that you are carrying around with you!! Awesome!

I have a SIMPLER question... if anyone has any ideas. I want to use my Playbook to do the actual presentation (NO LAPTOP), so I would connect it to the LCD projector using HDMI. Now I want to be able to walk around the room and advance slides without touching the playbook. I know that you can connect a bluetooth keyboard or mouse to it. Has anyone tried to present with one of these while standing? A regular mouse would need to run across a surface which is a bit awkward if you are walking around?

Has anyone tried to use a mouse as a remote to let you flip through slides? Perhaps
    something like a Gyration Air Mouse that lets you work without a surface, you just click on one of the buttons and it goes into "air mode" and uses it's spacial accelerometer to figure out which way you are trying to move it. Theoretically, you could gesture with this and control your playbook fully. I don't think scroll-wheel is supported yet so you probably couldn't use that to scroll through your slides. But maybe if you used an air mouse?

The other idea was this... With your Blackberry phone connected to the Playbook via Bluetooth (Bridge mode or whatever) if there was a way to have your presentation from the playbook show up also on your BB phone screen. Then when you just slide your finger across your Blackberry phone screen it would flip through slides that way. Basically, your BB phone acts as the controller for the Playbook. Does this exist? Even cooler, use your BB phone's accelerometer like a Wii-game console controller... You just wave it in the air one direction or another and it can advance the slides that way.

I would like to travel light. Therefore, if all I need is the LCD projector, Playbook and a mouse (or even better, my BB phone) it would be ideal. Most conference halls already have the projector, so I could just take my Playbook and phone/mouse and could do everything (no laptop required).

If I worked at an electronics store I could test a bunch of air-mouses out. Unfortunately, I don't have access to these things and don't want to buy only to find it won't work. Here are some examples I found as potential candidates:

Rechargeable Bluetooth Air Mouse - Omni Motion Techonology Corporation

What about this one: Mobile Mouse for the iPhone, iPod & iPad

I can't seem to find anything at BestBuy, Staples, FutureShop, etc... This cannot be that difficult a thing to implement. I'm sure air-mouse functionality is embedded in the actual mouse, and does not need special drivers. The use of the "air" instead of a surface by holding the trigger button on the mouse simply changes the mouse mode from using the laser surface tracking to determine motion, to the accelerometers. The mouse still sends the same bluetooth signals to whatever computer/tablet it's connected to in order to tell it how it moves. The computer/tablet doesn't know (or care) how the motion was "sensed" (optically or kinetically), so so I would assume?

Any thoughts APPRECIATED!

... Torch 9810 + Playbook user
    OS2.0 is what you're looking for. Hook your PB up to your projector and use your BB phone over bridge as a remote
    01-11-12 09:35 AM
    there is an app that allows you to connect to your PC and control it wirelessly, I forget what's it called. Also with OS 2 you will be able to use your blackberry smartphone to control your Playbook so there are many options out there. But as the OP said, a lot of the lecture halls, etc have older tech and can't use a PB directly into the projector
    Cancross likes this.
    01-11-12 10:35 AM
    Thank you very much for such wonderful post. However, wireless connections are not stable and hence are not suitable for conducting online presentations as there is a frequent drop in connectivity. You can use various online meeting tools such as WebEx, gomeetnow, gotomeeting, on premise RHUB Web Conferencing, Remote Support - RHUB Appliances appliances etc. However, you might not have a good experience regarding wireless connectivity. I would recommend using wired connection.
    03-26-13 04:57 AM
    Thanks Man. This is amazing!!
    04-09-13 12:40 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD