I'm trying to use the PB to monitor a baby monitor but the thing will only stay on for a max of 5 min. I have some apps (like an alarm clock) that keeps the screen on but the monitor app (tinyCam pro) doesn't do that. Does anyone know how to get the PB to stay on?

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 04:44 AM
    So after some research this is not possible through system settings (max timeout is 5 min)

There are however some apps that do support this like an alarm clock. As a "workaround" run an app that keeps the PB screen on, turn showcase on (which will keep apps active in the background) then run the app you wish to "keep on". You must then switch the PB into its app switcher mode and ensure the "always on" enabled app (like an alarm clock) is visible on the screen. Now your BP will always stay on with the app you want to see visible (in my case tinycam pro)

Crazy workaround and very short sighted of BlackBerry with this. It "works" but not that desirably.

Another way is enabling showcase and keeping something like the "always on" app as the displayed app with the other app also open just not visible. With showcase it will keep all open apps active and in my case with tinycam pro will continue to trigger alerts even though the app is not visible. It works for a baby monitor app since all a baby monitor is for is alerts.

If anyone has a better solution I would love to hear it

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 02-28-15 at 07:27 AM.
    02-28-15 07:11 AM
    Use Snow Stipple's trick-

Rad_Book likes this.
    02-28-15 08:46 AM
    Use Snow Stipple's trick-

That's another method and is a little more desirable as it shows more of the app you want to see.

To recap here are the methods:

Download a "always on" app like an alarm clock. Enable showcase feature which allows all apps running to be active. Start the "always on" app and the app in question you want to be active.

1. Swipe from the bottom to enable switch app feature. This will show all running apps and you swipe left and right to scroll through them. As long as a piece of the "always on" app is visible the screen will not turn off so keep the app the most visible while showing a piece of the "always on" app.

2. Same as above just swipe from the left/right to switch to the left/right app. This enables a scrolling mode of apps from right to left it just shows each app a little bigger than the method above. Do the same as above and make sure a piece of the "always on" app is showing and the screen will not turn off.

3. Run the "always on" app in full screen and the other app open just in the background. If showcase is enabled the app may not be showing but it will still trigger alerts and be active. This may not work with everything but if all you need is alerts then upon alert you can quickly switch over to check it out like a video monitoring app then this may work. Leave the PB in an app like a clock and have the other app run in the background.

That's why I can find out... These are still work arounds but they do get the job done if you need an app to alway run but not have the PB go to sleep.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 09:41 AM
    Not quite. In the video, the stock browser (which normally will time out) will not time out as shown- so long as you don't touch the screen- and the browser is running on 95% of the screen. This can be accomplished with any PB app. The app on the right is "Say On" (in app world), and is only barely visible after the bezel pull. The trick is to pull with TWO fingers from bezel to bezel.
    02-28-15 05:30 PM
    Not quite. In the video, the stock browser (which normally will time out) will not time out as shown- so long as you don't touch the screen- and the browser is running on 95% of the screen. This can be accomplished with any PB app. The app on the right is "Say On" (in app world), and is only barely visible after the bezel pull. The trick is to pull with TWO fingers from bezel to bezel.
    The 2 finger swipe from left/right doesn't work for my PB. Sure it works in terms of being able to switch left/right between apps but it will not stay in that mode. It will automatically go to full screen on the app that is 95% visible without touching the screen.

I describe this method in my earlier post as "method 2" but I may have to retract that as a useable method. I watched the video and understand how it works in concept but my PB doesnt behave that way.

I am using OS 2.1.0.1917 all I can think is that behaviour was from an earlier OS and an update has changed the behaviour. (btw I already have the "stay on" app and it has the same results)

If I want to view the app I want opened while keeping the screen on "method 1" seems to be the only way I can do that or the picture posted below.
    Attached Thumbnails How to get the PB to never turn off-uploadfromtaptalk1425199109226.jpg  
    03-01-15 02:38 AM
    The 2 finger swipe from left/right doesn't work for my PB.
    Then you're probably doing it wrong.
    03-01-15 06:22 AM
    Ok I got it to work after some paying around. Here was the problem: The PB has a built in gesture swiping right/left with 1 finger to switch between apps. The normal behaviour is slightly zooming out to allow a type of swiping between open apps.

As far as I can figure when this is done with 2 fingers and moving the fingers all the way across the screen there is potential for the behaviour to glitch and not properly set the scrolling of apps in the right position causing it to "stick". This "glitch" will not automatically full screen an app and will just leave the slider view open. If one of the visible apps are an app that keeps the screen on then it will force the screen on even if there is only a sliver of it showing.

I can't always produce this "glitch" with 2 fingers but it does seem to be with 2 fingers and I can't reproduce it with 1 finger. Sometimes the "stuck" slider view will be in different positions with each try potentially having different results. But it does work.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 10:40 AM