| | 05-12-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Author #1
How To: Extend/Prolong Battery Life
The Playbook has pretty good battery life, I think we can almost all agree to that. However, when i do use it I am usually doing heavy wifi browsing, downloading and screen as bright as can be. I find that when I wake up the next day the Playbook is on its last leg, usually with a quarter battery life to go.
Since I havent found a thread on the subject I figure an informative post regarding extending battery life is long over due. Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and ideas.
I will add any valuable suggestions to this post.
Here is what helps me wake up to a healthy Playbook, ready to take on a second day on one charge.
- Wifi - Turn it off when not in use. Wifi is a battery drainer and if you are not browsing there is no need to have it on. Takes me no more then 5 seconds to power on my wifi (Network is Saved) and Im sure it does wonders for extending my battery life. Same thing applies for Bluetooth.
Even if not connected to a network, leaving your Wifi on Might still drain battery as it will still continue to search for open networks. I am not positive on this but it is the case with devices Ive previously owned.
- Backlight - I would select a brightness you are comfortable with. I find that setting my brightness to about 75% doesnt take away from my experience at all. Also using Auto Backlight Dimming will work wonders, especially at night. With this option selected the Playbook will automatically adjust to the light in the room.
- Applications - Apps tend to be very demanding, especially movies and flash sites. Go to options > General > Application Behavior and change it to Paused.
As it says in the description this will Pause your applications until you activate them by selecting them again. So, if you have 4 apps open the only one actually running is the one open in full screen. There is no need to play a movie in a minimized window while doing anything else, lets be serious here. It will still play music in the background so don't worry.
Be sure to close your apps when done with them, or at least Pause background if you don't want them closed.
- Power - To me its not at all difficult to turn the Playbook on/off... and i even have a flush power button. If I know I wont be using it for a few hours I power it off completely. Or at least put it to sleep right away, I believe pressing the power button once will do the trick.
- Video - Approve The User Agreement in the Video Chat as it keep loading and burning battery.
Feel free to add-on.