I'm a huge playbook user, and I think it's such a wonderful tablet. Changed my life

What will we loose on the playbook with BB10?

Ability to load Android BAR?
    How would bridge work? In theory would it be between any BB10 phones/tablet?
    Shift from "main" orientation: all apps will be primary developped for portrait phones?
    Other?

And with this update, is there a brighter future for playbook?
    How can RIM ever make profit from such a good tablet at a price of 130$??

(Although I cant see how they can make profit with BB10 hardware if they don't already make some with older and cheaper phones now...
    01-07-13 07:14 AM

And with this update, is there a brighter future for playbook?
    How can RIM ever make profit from such a good tablet at a price of 130$??
    .. [/I]
    I agree about the lack of margin on Playbook being a barrier to its future.

I assume BB10 won't slow down the Playbook? I know there was a discussion above about old computers, but here in the 21st Century new OS's seem to challenge processors that are not bang up to date.
    01-07-13 01:03 PM
    I remember my seccond computer that ran Windows 3.1 and I was like wow this is nowhere near as efficient as DOS lol
    When I bought my first computer the standard was 486 SX-16 Mhz, 4 MB of RAM and 40 MB Hard Drive. I was using AutoCAD so had to go for the high end machine, 486 DX-33 Mhz, 8 MB of RAM and a huge 120 MB hard drive. The tower, a 14" CRT monitor and a dot matrix printer set me back $2800.00.
    Now I have a tablet with a 1.0 Ghz CPU, 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB of storage for under $140.00 or 1/20th the price of my first PC. To be fair, the monitor is smaller and there is no printer included.
    01-07-13 08:40 PM
    I agree about the lack of margin on Playbook being a barrier to its future.

I assume BB10 won't slow down the Playbook? I know there was a discussion above about old computers, but here in the 21st Century new OS's seem to challenge processors that are not bang up to date.
    Even selling the Playbook at cost would make it theoretically profitable if the sales promoted the use of Blackberry phones.
    The Playbook platform is about 20 months old now. If we can get another 20 months out of the current hardware using BB10 that will be about the end of it's natural life anyway.
    Hopefully at that time there is enough of a user base to warrant the next generation of Playbook hardware. Hard to say really, technology advances so fast.
    01-07-13 08:47 PM
    Hopefully we will get the grid of running apps instead of the current ribbon design.
    nappp likes this.
    01-08-13 02:42 AM
    WOW! You had a HDD? My first computer was ROM only. I was super stoked when we got the 5 1/4" Floppies LOL!
    02-18-13 02:42 PM
    ahh old people
    < shakes fist in the air from the front porch >
    RubberChicken76 and JeepBB like this.
    02-19-13 12:06 PM
    It will open up the possibility for more people to complain about flashing lights, battery drain, unable to connect to wifi, checkerboarding, slow browser, unable to sideload some bar files,apps closing, playbook shutting down, inability to downgrade to os 2 or os 1 or whatever, can't root, can't debrick, won't work, whens bb11 coming out,,,,too slow,,,,this is crap, gonna buy an ipad, or a galaxy, or a commadore 64 or a whatever....
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    02-19-13 07:06 PM
    BB10 will give us skype and netflix, the only apps of any interest missing. It's funny that people criticize those who complain about not having these two apps, yet clamour for a new OS. I thought the Playbook was great? Doesn't that mean that the QNX OS is great too?

Someone is full of **** here.
    02-20-13 10:09 AM
    Well, if bb10 for the pb reduces the functions of Bridge, the pb, at least, MY pb will NOT benefit.
    Revampd likes this.
    02-20-13 10:37 AM
    Even selling the Playbook at cost would make it theoretically profitable if the sales promoted the use of Blackberry phones.
    Yeah - they might not have a choice. One of the things that stuck out at me when ICE decided to go with iPhones was that they chose iPhones because iPads were already in use as laptop replacements.

The Playbook platform is about 20 months old now. If we can get another 20 months out of the current hardware using BB10 that will be about the end of it's natural life anyway.
    You talking about the 1.0 GHZ WiFi version released April 2011 or the 1.5 GHZ LTE version released August 2012? :-)
    02-20-13 10:43 AM
    I guess what BB10 will bring really depends on whether it hurts performance and whether it really will widen the app selection to some notable missing apps.

I have a different perspective to people who've owned Playbooks from the start. I'm new, I don't use the bridge, and my Playbook is mostly limited to entertainment rather than productivity. Being new, I already feel I have "perfection - minus Skype" in the Playbook with its current OS. I love what my Playbook does well (especially movies - something done worse by all the other tablet offerings with their much more limited codecs) and it also feels super-responsive (I've not tried other tablets so I have no comparisons). So I don't feel a burning need for a new OS, but if BB10 means more recognition by app developers for other platforms, that's only a good thing and I would love that - AND I would love Skype too.
    02-20-13 04:12 PM
    You talking about the 1.0 GHZ WiFi version released April 2011 or the 1.5 GHZ LTE version released August 2012? :-)
    I always forget about the LTE version. Did anyone buy them?
    02-20-13 04:53 PM
    I always forget about the LTE version. Did anyone buy them?
    I would have but sadly as far as I know they still haven't been released here in the states.
    02-20-13 05:06 PM
    Because 10 is higher than 2...
    nappp likes this.
    02-20-13 05:08 PM
    Because 10 is higher than 2...
    lmao. its so simple!
    02-20-13 05:18 PM
    My father used to directly program using octal and binary entries, flicking the run switch at the end of each line. And that was in the DPS of a nuclear power station. Amazing to watch.
    Yes, I used to program in binary that way "back in the day". I never thought about it but I guess it would have seemed amazing. It was like touch typing when you got rolling.
    02-20-13 05:56 PM
    WOW! You had a HDD? My first computer was ROM only. I was super stoked when we got the 5 1/4" Floppies LOL!
    The first one we had in school booted from a cassette tape drive.
    02-20-13 06:38 PM
68 123