Is there an original receipt needed if a playbook bought off Ebay ever has to be warrantied? Thanks!
    05-13-11 10:57 PM
    You may want to contact RIM. I have a playbook on ebay right for sale but I've assume the date of purchase is your ebay receipt. Make sure you print it out because I believe after 90 days it's no longer in ebay system.
    05-13-11 11:07 PM
    You may want to check the actual Warranty from RIM. Usually a warranty is not transferable. That means if you buy a RIM device on eBay you have no warranty. Only the original purchaser does.

Apple are about the only company i know (especially in tech goods) that don't require original proof of purchase for a warranty claim.
    05-13-11 11:34 PM
    You may want to contact RIM. I have a playbook on ebay right for sale but I've assume the date of purchase is your ebay receipt. Make sure you print it out because I believe after 90 days it's no longer in ebay system.
    If that was true then every item on ebay would have a full manuacture warrenty, the warrenty would be from date of the original purchase from an aproaved reseller. whether it is transferable is up to RIM. You may luck out though because there isn't a playbook old enough to not be in warrenty so claiming you lost the reciept may work. Some manufactures will also use the date of production if you lost a reciept. I would call RIM and be very polite to the person you tlk to, say you don't have the reciept, and make them wnt to help you.

(Sorry for spelling errors, late and too tired to fix them.)
    05-13-11 11:57 PM
    I would assume that a PB bought from a private individual on Ebay does not have a warranty. The conditions of most warranties say that warranties are not transferable however if it is a company not a private individual that is selling on Ebay then the warranty would be from the day you bought the item. You should check with your seller and if possible confirm it with RIM.
    05-14-11 05:51 AM
    You may want to ask the seller to include the original sales receipt. If he won’t, then it’s a possibility that the PlayBook is stolen in which case you may lose it if you try to claim warrant (as you need to give RIM the serial #)
    05-14-11 06:24 AM
    Apple are about the only company i know (especially in tech goods) that don't require original proof of purchase for a warranty claim.
    Actually I know a few in the techs world, but Apple is probably the only large mainstream company. Others are niche markets, specialty items, or smaller companies.
    05-14-11 09:09 AM
    eBay is not a seller. It is merely a place where a buyer (you) can find a seller (the individual or company selling the item.)

Accordingly, what is importantly is who is selling the item. If it is an authorized reseller then you will most likely have a warranty. If sold by a non-authorized retailer or a private individual then you should contact RIM before you buy to ask about warranty coverage.
    05-14-11 09:19 AM
    Why would you ever expect a warranty on an ebay purchase of what is in effect a used device?
    05-14-11 09:29 AM
    Warranty is only valid when the device is returned to the original place of purchase. RIM does not handle the warranty, they won't do anything for you, they will tell you to contact the store where it was purchased. I learned this the hard way when i bought my Torch in the US and i live in Canada.
    05-14-11 11:41 AM
    Warranty is only valid when the device is returned to the original place of purchase. RIM does not handle the warranty, they won't do anything for you, they will tell you to contact the store where it was purchased. I learned this the hard way when i bought my Torch in the US and i live in Canada.
    False. RIM is handling warranty claims. And no RIM should not be responsible for things sold on eBay. That makes no sense. That is one of the reasons many people buy them in stores as opposed to eBay, for the reason that they are covered if something goes wrong. That is why I chose not to get mine from eBay.
    05-14-11 11:51 AM
    False. RIM is handling warranty claims. And no RIM should not be responsible for things sold on eBay. That makes no sense. That is one of the reasons many people buy them in stores as opposed to eBay, for the reason that they are covered if something goes wrong. That is why I chose not to get mine from eBay.
    Can you validate that? The retailer almost always handles warranty issues. You can't call RIM and return a product directly to them for warranty. The product is returned to where it was purchased from. If the product was bought directly from RIM, then that's a different story.
    05-14-11 01:02 PM
    Can you validate that? The retailer almost always handles warranty issues. You can't call RIM and return a product directly to them for warranty. The product is returned to where it was purchased from. If the product was bought directly from RIM, then that's a different story.
    RIM to handle BlackBerry PlayBook Warranty support and repair directly | CrackBerry.com
    05-14-11 01:30 PM
    I stand corrected. That is obviously very different from how they handle smartphones, i'm glad they went this route.
    05-14-11 08:29 PM
    Sure. Haven't you ever bought anything from Staples, BB or FS? They want you to buy their addition service plan. Over and over again, they'll tell you, it's only 14 day exchange with them, after that you deal with the manufacturer directly. If you buy their extended warranty, then they'll repair or give you a new one, bah, bah, bah...
    verytrue. i work at bestbuy and unless the person has an extended warranty, its on them to go to the manufacturer, thats why its called a manufacturer warranty.
    05-14-11 09:02 PM
    what if the phone is unlocked and bought directly from rim what then? would there be any fuss?or would i get my warranty?
    01-04-13 09:31 AM
    what if the phone is unlocked and bought directly from rim what then? would there be any fuss?or would i get my warranty?
    I did not think Rim sold phones directly. I would guess there would be a warranty in that case. They DO sell pb's directly and originally NOT through carriers, so rim does handle warranty.
    01-04-13 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD