That's very generous of you to give something away that you could flip instantly if you priced it right.

While I agree that an iPad doesn't meet everyone's needs, you should probably have done your research. The iPad has never had flash, so if you were expecting to be able to use it, that was your mistake. In the same vein, if a medical application is constantly crashing the device, it's the fault of the app, and the reviews would reflect it. Research is your best friend. I think that's what the whole motto of this thread should be.
    Ya I have time to do "research" on an Ipad. It didn't come close to living up to it's hype and I got rid of it. I do however love my Playbook. The $250.00 I spent on the Pepid app is worth every penny. Oh and the web browser actually browses the web...all of it.
    08-19-12 06:32 PM
    Ya I have time to do "research" on an Ipad. It didn't come close to living up to it's hype and I got rid of it. I do however love my Playbook. The $250.00 I spent on the Pepid app is worth every penny. Oh and the web browser actually browses the web...all of it.
    All of it eh?

Microsoft Silverlight

Go ahead, I'll wait...

Quit trolling.
    08-19-12 06:55 PM
    I'm assuming you work retail since you're steering people towards various tablets. But I'm also guessing you've never worked on commission (or sales based rewards) in an electronics store. You would be singing a different tune I think. If you do work on commission, then you sir, are a saint.
    Exactly I used to work appliances, some brands gave way better spiffs (bonus) then others per piece sold. I was on pure commission plus this spiff structure. Guess who I sold most off, unless a customer had a specific brand in mind. Yet at the same time had an excellent customer service record. Electronics is the same way, i knew many in the electronics sales industry.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-19-12 07:22 PM
    I'm assuming you work retail since you're steering people towards various tablets. But I'm also guessing you've never worked on commission (or sales based rewards) in an electronics store. You would be singing a different tune I think. If you do work on commission, then you sir, are a saint.
    Like I said, I work on commission but won't sell something I don't think meets their needs even if it means I lose out on some money. My rationale? A happy customer comes back, leading to more commission in the future. My store gets a lot of repeat business because we try to meet the needs of the customer.

A bonus commission means nothing if it means a frustrated customer who won't return. If that makes me a Saint, so be it, but I need to be able to look at myself in the mirror at the end of the day.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    08-20-12 01:16 AM
    I guess every sales rep should be like me who tells them the truth that even if a device is better the company making that device is devious.. which means that the company is not interested in what a consumer wants but just in their wallets..

I believe a consumer should know the company history before making an investment? what about all the iPad consumers getting locked into Apple TV & HDTV.. Do you educate your consumers on stuff like DLNA and open-source agreements and all that?

Ofcourse not.. Your objective is limited to ensuring the consumer gets what he/she wants and that's obviously a customer with a preset mind of wanting an iPad.. easiest sale and maximum commission!

Tell me something.. Do you ever inform your customers that the Android and iOS devices that they are planning to purchase are completely dependent on third-party applications which do not provide any guarantee of services? The device OEM is not responsible for any loss, theft or manipulation of personal data?

It's obvious Apple sales are promoted because it means a repeat customer coming in for a proprietary HDMI cable.. Proprietary charging and docks.. Apple TV.. Limited legacy systems & support such as iPhone4 sans Siri (need for a yearly upgrade, repeating customer).. Other Apple devices to use in conjunction with their original Apple product because of compatibility limitations.. Easy sales one after the other..

As with Android.. Varying number of manufactured Android devices automatically makes the consumer feel as though they never have 'enough'.. the 'wanting more because of having less' feeling.. Do you educate your consumers on this subject that even though they will be purchasing a latest launched device, within no time another manufacturer is going to produce a device with greater specs and newer applications (alongwith OS) which will only be device specific (no guarantee of which device's software updates) thus leading to quicker end of life and a sooner refresh in the contract for purchasing another 'newly' launched phone?

Hmm.. The job of a sales rep is to educate the consumer on the various pros and cons of a device.. Not 'get them a device that fulfills their needs'.. Needs are not specific, time-bound or standard. They are varying in nature. A consumer might not need Flash when he's purchasing a device in the store. But a month later, he might need it to access his daughter's marriage website. How can you educate him on that without knowing the future needs of a consumer which can arise out of no where?

A consumer comes in to the store and says I want Skype to video chat - typical sales rep would guide him towards an Android or iOS device (biased towards iPad because sales rep's rep can never go wrong with an iPad).. But the right thing for the sales rep to do would be to announce that Skype is bought over by Microsoft and the dependability of iOS and Android for Skype is not certain in the near future. Whereas Microsoft has launched a new tablet which promises to provide Skype on it's new and developing Windows mobile platform with superior performance. Speaking of Skype developed in HTML5 version, the BlackBerry Tablet OS is currently the highest ranking device in HTML5 performance as per industry standards.

If you really care about your sales job - try to promote all devices equally. If your customer wants a device with Skype, he should walk out knowing the details on Skype rather than with an impulsive purchase of a device that 'Currently' supports Skype.

I know the tricks of the trade.. Customer utters 'Skype' and he's in for a 500$+ bill on his CC..

Note to sales reps - Next time try telling your customer about AV by AOL when they talk about Skype and how they can save 200$+ just by using this Flash based free video chat website. Informing the customer, That's your job - Deciding how convenient or inconvenient using this vs. an app - is not..
    mdmullis likes this.
    08-20-12 02:31 AM
    This would be a terrible sales tactic in every way imaginable.

Agree with you a hundred percent, i guess this guy is one of the bottom feeding sales people at his job with lowest sales numbers. Customers don't need or want to know all that useless info. Its like going to a large department store buying clothes and the sales rep tells you, you dont want brand A shirt cause its made by children in a sweat shop. That totally puts the customer off from buying anything.

A great sales person is one that sells the person what he she wants to sell them, making the customer love that purchase and come back over and over again for more. Remember a lot of consumers that dont research only THINK they know what they want. Its a sales persons job to lead them to what they will end up purchasing and feeling good about that purchase. If customers Knew what they wanted to buy sales people would become unnecessary, however we are becoming more of a service oriented society. What that tells you.

08-20-12 09:35 AM
    I guess every sales rep should be like me who tells them the truth that even if a device is better the company making that device is devious.. which means that the company is not interested in what a consumer wants but just in their wallets..

I believe a consumer should know the company history before making an investment? what about all the iPad consumers getting locked into Apple TV & HDTV.. Do you educate your consumers on stuff like DLNA and open-source agreements and all that?

Ofcourse not.. Your objective is limited to ensuring the consumer gets what he/she wants and that's obviously a customer with a preset mind of wanting an iPad.. easiest sale and maximum commission!

Tell me something.. Do you ever inform your customers that the Android and iOS devices that they are planning to purchase are completely dependent on third-party applications which do not provide any guarantee of services? The device OEM is not responsible for any loss, theft or manipulation of personal data?

It's obvious Apple sales are promoted because it means a repeat customer coming in for a proprietary HDMI cable.. Proprietary charging and docks.. Apple TV.. Limited legacy systems & support such as iPhone4 sans Siri (need for a yearly upgrade, repeating customer).. Other Apple devices to use in conjunction with their original Apple product because of compatibility limitations.. Easy sales one after the other..

As with Android.. Varying number of manufactured Android devices automatically makes the consumer feel as though they never have 'enough'.. the 'wanting more because of having less' feeling.. Do you educate your consumers on this subject that even though they will be purchasing a latest launched device, within no time another manufacturer is going to produce a device with greater specs and newer applications (alongwith OS) which will only be device specific (no guarantee of which device's software updates) thus leading to quicker end of life and a sooner refresh in the contract for purchasing another 'newly' launched phone?

Hmm.. The job of a sales rep is to educate the consumer on the various pros and cons of a device.. Not 'get them a device that fulfills their needs'.. Needs are not specific, time-bound or standard. They are varying in nature. A consumer might not need Flash when he's purchasing a device in the store. But a month later, he might need it to access his daughter's marriage website. How can you educate him on that without knowing the future needs of a consumer which can arise out of no where?

A consumer comes in to the store and says I want Skype to video chat - typical sales rep would guide him towards an Android or iOS device (biased towards iPad because sales rep's rep can never go wrong with an iPad).. But the right thing for the sales rep to do would be to announce that Skype is bought over by Microsoft and the dependability of iOS and Android for Skype is not certain in the near future. Whereas Microsoft has launched a new tablet which promises to provide Skype on it's new and developing Windows mobile platform with superior performance. Speaking of Skype developed in HTML5 version, the BlackBerry Tablet OS is currently the highest ranking device in HTML5 performance as per industry standards.

If you really care about your sales job - try to promote all devices equally. If your customer wants a device with Skype, he should walk out knowing the details on Skype rather than with an impulsive purchase of a device that 'Currently' supports Skype.

I know the tricks of the trade.. Customer utters 'Skype' and he's in for a 500$+ bill on his CC..

Note to sales reps - Next time try telling your customer about AV by AOL when they talk about Skype and how they can save 200$+ just by using this Flash based free video chat website. Informing the customer, That's your job - Deciding how convenient or inconvenient using this vs. an app - is not..
    Are you done? You want sales reps to educate the customers on back office ownership of companies and the like? That's a salesperson's job?

My job is to get the customer what they came to the store for or what best suits what they want to use it for. If a customer isn't tech savvy, but has a simple android phone and wants a tablet to go with it and kindle and Skype, according to you I'm supposed to sell then a PlayBook, pimp out AV by AOL (which has the delightful clause of " (you) Continue to own the content but grant AOL Inc. a license to use and distribute your content" - hey varunsain, since you just ranted about how salespeople need to warn buyers about third party app makers using personal information I sure hope you aren't recommending AOL to them! ), and then teach them about bar file conversions and side loading apps?

No, I'm going to show them any number of Android tabs we have.

If a customer wants a tab and has a BB, I show them a PB. If they want a cheap tab to surf the internet and watch a movie on, I show them a PB.

My store doesn't sell iPads, but if I ask if they have an iPhone or iPod, and if they've purchased a lot of paid apps and media for them, I recommend staying with Apple since they have money invested in the ecosystem already. Yes. Even though I can't sell them an iPad.

I sold 2 tabs yesterday at work. Both were PBs.

But your little dissertation of what a salesperson's job is is so far from based in reality its ridiculous.

Last edited by reeneebob; 08-20-12 at 11:18 AM.
    08-20-12 11:13 AM

Seriously if a salesperson tells the whole truth, they would tell me that Monster Cables or Beats Audio headsets are over-priced marketing gimmicks.

So, what you are saying is that you are going to bore the living crap out of that poor customer on a company's history? NO THANK YOU!

If it wasn't for those third party applications, we would still be using flip phones. All smartphones are dependant on third party apps. Similar to video game consoles, they require that third party support. So that argument is invalid.

Just because a customer purchases and iPhone does not necessarily make him or her a repeat customer. If you sell the product properly then of course that is your ultimate goal to get that customer back in the door. With that being said, the end user roughly 75% of the time won't change their enitre technology just because you were able to sell them an iPhone.

This approach baffles me as well. Ok, you say to the customer, "You are interested in an Android device? Okay, the thing with Android devices are that in a month it will be outdated with a different manufacturer running Googles' software so don't waste your time or money." How do you expect a customer to be satisfied with their purchase if you put it in their mindset that this Android device is basically obsolete the moment it leaves the store?

The job of the salesperson is to educate the consumer. However, you don't need to bore them with mindless history lessons or scare them about the unknown future. The reason a consumer is shopping for whatever product it is, is because they are looking for something right now. You think a car salesperson is going to say "Ed, you are looking at a Ford, well now Henry Ford ........blah blah blah or well this is the 2012 model but the 2013 model is coming out in 6 months which will make this 2012 obsolete." No, of course not.

True, but you could if you've done your homework, is to inform the customer that there are other ways to use Skype regardless of tablet. No need to sell a product that isn't even available for another three months, unless the customer is willing to wait.

Not all product can be promoted equally, because some are absolutely garbage.

You know if you use Skype via wifi, it's free? Don't tell the customer BS.

Again, don't sell the customer BS. The customer will ask "Why would Skype or what have you, cost 'X' amount of dollars?" Especially if the customer did their due diligence and did some research before hand.
    08-20-12 12:07 PM
    please stop blaming others for RIM poor performances... if we will be on the same shoes and we want to meet our "quota", we will probably do the same thing - just to meet our sales target and bring foods to our dining table...
    This is a good point... Never forget, this may not be malice on the reps part but good business sense. Perhaps all ipad sales end with happy customers and the playbook sales have resulted in returns or complaining customers... "a fraction of the apps? No skype? No netflix streaming? What in the heck is "kobo"... Where is kindle???"
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-20-12 05:15 PM
    This is a good point... Never forget, this may not be malice on the reps part but good business sense. Perhaps all ipad sales end with happy customers and the playbook sales have resulted in returns or complaining customers... "a fraction of the apps? No skype? No netflix streaming? What in the heck is "kobo"... Where is kindle???"
    This is huge... We do get people who we warn they won't find all the apps they want and they buy the playbook anyway, and then return it because they couldn't find the apps they were looking for.

I don't know anyone who would sell something that they know the customer will hate and come back to complain about just because they are a fan boy of that platform. If they do, they must love pain.

Syrous44 likes this.
    08-20-12 10:34 PM
    You're associating minimum wage with lack of knowledge and professionalism eh? I think a lot of people would take offence to that notion.
    Ask true professionals like lawyer or accountant or doctor how much they made last year and we will talk. Kids working at retail stores ARE NOT professionals and you cannot expect them to act like one.
    kbz1960 and Syrous44 like this.
    08-21-12 06:50 AM
    Are you done? You want sales reps to educate the customers on back office ownership of companies and the like? That's a salesperson's job?

My job is to get the customer what they came to the store for or what best suits what they want to use it for. If a customer isn't tech savvy, but has a simple android phone and wants a tablet to go with it and kindle and Skype, according to you I'm supposed to sell then a PlayBook, pimp out AV by AOL (which has the delightful clause of " (you) Continue to own the content but grant AOL Inc. a license to use and distribute your content" - hey varunsain, since you just ranted about how salespeople need to warn buyers about third party app makers using personal information I sure hope you aren't recommending AOL to them! ), and then teach them about bar file conversions and side loading apps?

No, I'm going to show them any number of Android tabs we have.

If a customer wants a tab and has a BB, I show them a PB. If they want a cheap tab to surf the internet and watch a movie on, I show them a PB.

My store doesn't sell iPads, but if I ask if they have an iPhone or iPod, and if they've purchased a lot of paid apps and media for them, I recommend staying with Apple since they have money invested in the ecosystem already. Yes. Even though I can't sell them an iPad.

I sold 2 tabs yesterday at work. Both were PBs.

But your little dissertation of what a salesperson's job is is so far from based in reality its ridiculous.

Honest answer and this is what store salesperson should do. But often I have encountered salesperson to be openly hostile to bb platform and this is not okay. It is not okay for them to say pb is crap no matter what and buying ANY other tablet is better
    08-21-12 06:59 AM
    They should have played on the playbooks strengths

Smaller (for those still pining for a 7" iPad). Cheaper. Easy multitasking (no fiddly fiddley home button gymnastics. Swipe and done like in webos). Fast enoug for games etc. Bridge so no need to setup email, and no need to pay for a second dataplan.

Then, they needed to get devs on board.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    sorry to derail, but just wanted to say that to swich applications (not true multi tasking I know, I know). you dont have to do the home button gymnastics like you say. "Swipe and done" is one of the other ways to switch tasks. Just wanted to inform you, is all.

now back on topic..
    08-21-12 08:18 AM
    Ask true professionals like lawyer or accountant or doctor how much they made last year and we will talk. Kids working at retail stores ARE NOT professionals and you cannot expect them to act like one.
    Your gross over generalizations are sickening. Now you're saying that everyone who makes minimum wage is a kid? And only kids work in retail stores? You're digging a deeper hole for yourself here.

Here's whats even funnier: You state 3 of the most over-paid occupations as "true-professionals". So the amount of money you make is now the measurement for professionalism? What a jaded view.
    08-21-12 08:42 AM
    Your gross over generalizations are sickening. Now you're saying that everyone who makes minimum wage is a kid? And only kids work in retail stores? You're digging a deeper hole for yourself here.

Here's whats even funnier: You state 3 of the most over-paid occupations as "true-professionals". So the amount of money you make is now the measurement for professionalism? What a jaded view.
    The youngest employee in my store is 24. The oldest is late 40s. We can hire these ' uneducated kids', but it makes things difficult as they are legally not old enough to cosign the wireless paperwork for a client.

08-21-12 11:31 AM
    Why? the playbook is only $200 because they couldn't get anyone to pay $400 for it - it wasn't designed and costed as a $200 tablet.
    This sums it up. From business perspective, PB is a failed product. There are many speculations why RIM is keeping it alive, but regardless the price it's marked at is the value of product from consumer's perspective.

Similar things happened to the Android world. Manufacturers recognized that 7" tablet had to priced at around $200, so we're seeing many 7" android tablets between $200 and $250 without discount.

How RIM overcomes this crap is all in their hands. You can't blame salesman or others for this, as it's not them who put RIM into this position. The product speaks for themselves.

The only way I see PB getting better is to take advantage of the improved Android player in OS 2.1.
    Syrous44 likes this.
    08-22-12 07:35 AM
    This sums it up. From business perspective, PB is a failed product. There are many speculations why RIM is keeping it alive, but regardless the price it's marked at is the value of product from consumer's perspective.

Similar things happened to the Android world. Manufacturers recognized that 7" tablet had to priced at around $200, so we're seeing many 7" android tablets between $200 and $250 without discount.

How RIM overcomes this crap is all in their hands. You can't blame salesman or others for this, as it's not them who put RIM into this position. The product speaks for themselves.

The only way I see PB getting better is to take advantage of the improved Android player in OS 2.1.
    Even the android player is a stretch as you have to side load many of the better ones, and i doubt that the simple consumer that wants a tablet to just work. Will know how to or bother to go through the process of side loading. RIM really needs to work on their own ecosystem, thats a major piece thats holding them back.

08-22-12 10:04 AM
    Even the android player is a stretch as you have to side load many of the better ones, and i doubt that the simple consumer that wants a tablet to just work. Will know how to or bother to go through the process of side loading. RIM really needs to work on their own ecosystem, thats a major piece thats holding them back.

With this best Android player update to date, the side loading is also gone. I know it won't happen, but the best option RIM has now is to allow Android apps be installed from Android Marketplace directly. Not all apps will work, but at least consumers will easily be able to install all working ones.
    08-22-12 10:22 AM
    With this best Android player update to date, the side loading is also gone. I know it won't happen, but the best option RIM has now is to allow Android apps be installed from Android Marketplace directly. Not all apps will work, but at least consumers will easily be able to install all working ones.
    If Rim is so gun about growing their ecosystem with android apps like you believe and think its such a good idea. They should of just put android os on their phones last year, and scrap bb10 all together. If you have nothing but android apps why not just get an android so you have a better app experience without issues or limitations. I dont know I just think this approach is @ss backwards thats all. But Rim has been known for that the last 3 years playing catch up.

08-22-12 11:48 AM
    If Rim is so gun about growing their ecosystem with android apps like you believe and think its such a good idea. They should of just put android os on their phones last year, and scrap bb10 all together. If you have nothing but android apps why not just get an android so you have a better app experience without issues or limitations. I dont know I just think this approach is @ss backwards thats all. But Rim has been known for that the last 3 years playing catch up.

RIM did say they considered Android. The Playbook OS is good, and as an OS it is superior to Android. I wished at some point someone will just port Android for PB and forget about PB OS. However, PB lasted this long it wouldn't be such a bad idea to let PB's own ecosystem grow, while letting the device sell by having Android ecosystem on top of it.

If RIM were able to successfully build the PB OS/BB10 ecosystem in the future(?), by then there will be enough devices in the market to support the improved ecosystem.

The few natives apps PB come with are one of the better ones, if not best, among all tablets available in the market...
    08-22-12 12:17 PM
    RIM did say they considered Android. The Playbook OS is good, and as an OS it is superior to Android. I wished at some point someone will just port Android for PB and forget about PB OS. However, PB lasted this long it wouldn't be such a bad idea to let PB's own ecosystem grow, while letting the device sell by having Android ecosystem on top of it.

If RIM were able to successfully build the PB OS/BB10 ecosystem in the future(?), by then there will be enough devices in the market to support the improved ecosystem.

The few natives apps PB come with are one of the better ones, if not best, among all tablets available in the market...
    I agree with you on the os front but still believe running android apps is killing them in the end and thats why they need to work on a full robust experience ecosystem after the release of bb10. I doubt sales people are going hay get the playbook it runs android apps, rather they say want android apps and a great 7 inch tablet. Let me show you the nexus7 or some others here. No matter how good qnx is Rims execution of the pb was a total flop and they are patching it up poorly to weather the storm thats all. RIM cant rely on android apps to solve there ecosystem issue, all it does is advertise for google and android. And when the consumer gets frustrated with pb lack of functionality guess what their next tablet will most likely be. My friend works for a large electronics retailer here in canada and they have about 4-5 reguler consumers return their pb out of ten for something else. That is not good when pb sales are low and slow to begin with. Its a shame cause the pb has massive potential.

08-22-12 02:09 PM
    I agree with you on the os front but still believe running android apps is killing them in the end and thats why they need to work on a full robust experience ecosystem after the release of bb10. I doubt sales people are going hay get the playbook it runs android apps, rather they say want android apps and a great 7 inch tablet. Let me show you the nexus7 or some others here. No matter how good qnx is Rims execution of the pb was a total flop and they are patching it up poorly to weather the storm thats all. RIM cant rely on android apps to solve there ecosystem issue, all it does is advertise for google and android. And when the consumer gets frustrated with pb lack of functionality guess what their next tablet will most likely be. My friend works for a large electronics retailer here in canada and they have about 4-5 reguler consumers return their pb out of ten for something else. That is not good when pb sales are low and slow to begin with. Its a shame cause the pb has massive potential.

Few things - one of the big reasons I purchased PB, knowing the PB's native app ecosystem is weak, was because of the "promise" of the Android Player back in last year.
    It is exactly what I said also (several months ago), that the Android Player is hurting PB's ecosystem as developers are focusing on getting their Android App working on PB's Android Player rather than getting native PB apps out. I believe there were also native SDK issues that are supposed to be resolved by now, but now it's too late. Tide has already turned and there's very little space between Android and iOS world that RIM can leverage on.

This is the reason I see that a good Android Player might be what they need to generate sales.. that's all.

Yes, PB hardware has a good potential, even by today's standard (not surprising as it's designed as high end device, not a budget device) and it's a shame to see it being wasted.
    08-22-12 02:59 PM
    There are many consumers who's usage are limited to the extended capabilities of the PlayBook, however even in this case the Sales rep would recommend an Android device since it can do what the PlayBook does and a bit more (arguably).

Android is the USP of their tablets and iPad has the hardware as it's USP. The PlayBook fails to shine in both aspects, Hardware and Software without much debate and discussion. Sales Rep often use the USPs to sell a device, confirming sales and happy customers.

Or it seems so...

The PlayBook is currently a competitive device, with regards to selling prices, hardware and software (improving slowly but steadily). The PlayBook delivers a unique experience to the user with freshly developed graphics, a new and evolving operating system and several new software instances that have not been observed in the competitive OSs. The hardware is up-to-date and robust as well as the build quality. Proprietary security systems are also deeply integrated within the core of the PlayBook OS.

Even though basic, the software system of the PlayBook is designed to be intuitive and extremely user friendly. Easy for young and old generation to adapt to a tablet device (as entry-level tablet users). Fast and intuitive for heavy usage consumers.

A lot can be achieved with the PlayBook and there are many success stories published by RIM in favor of the PlayBook. It is clear that RIM cannot rely on the existing sales force and need a more direct approach towards reaching it's potential customers.
    08-23-12 01:37 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD