I have the PB but not a smartphone, so please forgive me my ignorance for asking this:
    What is advantage of BBM that other OS did not (previously) have? How does BBRY benefit from this recent porting move? Royalties from other OS?
    09-24-13 07:32 PM
    bbm channels, its like a twitter and instagram in one. but first they need to launch it properly and troublefree.
    09-24-13 07:36 PM
    Advertisements, and getting people to say "BlackBerry"
    jkomo001 likes this.
    09-24-13 07:38 PM
    it doesnt really, until they update it with channels bbm will make $0 of revenue on ios and android
    09-24-13 10:31 PM
    It will expose users to the new UI. Hopefully people will use it and become familiar with it. Once they do, it will (hopefully) make a switch easier.

On the money side, I think they will be making money on the app through BBM Money the piloted in India a while back.

Hopefully it works out.

Check out my AZ MTB Channel C0006F5EB
    Monsterlad likes this.
    09-25-13 12:22 AM
    There are other cross-platform chat apps, but they often have fees involved. BBM is free. But yes, I agree...with every move, BBRY keeps removing their competitive advantages.
    Data compression? Gone.
    Want your corporation to go to the new platform? Need new server software. (so here's an opportunity to invest in another one if you were considering a move)
    BBM? Cross-platform
    09-26-13 07:40 AM
    So if I understand this correctly, BBM will be like another channel with social interaction features like Twitter and also feature advertisements which benefit Blackberry?
    09-27-13 04:47 PM
    I think the real question that should be asked is, why the heck couldn't they release a BBM app to the playbook? Okay, BB10 not possible. So you use those developers to try and design an android app/ iOS app rather than at least giving PB owners something to cheer about? The only thing the tablet seriously lacks is a proper video messaging service such as Skype etc. I knew this before I brought it so wasn't too fussed. But seeing an announcement that they have resources to develop an app for other platforms but not for their own tablet just speaks volumes about the misdirection of the company. It doesn't take a genius to see how poorly run this company is. I'm not sure whether putting BBM to all platforms is good or bad, but if you are going to do it, surely all Blackberry customers should have access to it? Unfortunately, common sense is a commodity that Blackberry sold off.
    09-27-13 06:20 PM