Let me start by saying that I have had an iPad since release and other than the fact it is underpowered my biggest issue is how photos are stored. Within the Photo app you can have folders but not subfolders. I have 23,678 photos on my iPad and not being able to drill down through folders and then subfolders is a big issue. Does anyone know, yet, if the Playbook is any different?
    02-03-11 09:27 PM
    Let me start by saying that I have had an iPad since release and other than the fact it is underpowered my biggest issue is how photos are stored. Within the Photo app you can have folders but not subfolders. I have 23,678 photos on my iPad and not being able to drill down through folders and then subfolders is a big issue. Does anyone know, yet, if the Playbook is any different?
    it will, i'm 99% sure, just like a blackberry. you can use DM to put them on probably but best way would be my computer->playbook->pictures folder
    02-03-11 09:31 PM
    As it will most likely be like the blackberry phone, I date my picture folders for easy access. I can create sub folders as well. One of the reasons I never went apple was the fact that all my children had ipods and man I could not organize the music like I would in my blackberry or my 20gb iriver. I always used explorer on my computer to view the deviced hooked up and I could not get access to the ipods like I do with iriver and blackberry to organize pictures and music. So to answer your question, you will be able to do folders and subfolders to properly organize your pictures.

Yes I do know you can use itunes but I don't like to be forced to get a program to get to my music or pictures. Anyways you'll love the playbook once it is out.
    02-03-11 09:47 PM
    I'm not sure I'm buying that it will be similar to the phone, aren't we getting a completely different OS here?
    02-03-11 11:08 PM
    Well I am sure we will be able to explore like we would on our blackberries, but hey don't take my word, I am just guessing here.
    02-03-11 11:37 PM
    I'm not sure I'm buying that it will be similar to the phone, aren't we getting a completely different OS here?
    What difference does it make? Saving a file to a file system is saving a file to a file system.
    02-04-11 08:17 AM
    Because some people are NOT kids and want things arranged the way they want them. I myself have my music arranged in a way that I want, using iTunes f*^ks that all up. It wants to arrange by id3 tags and such, I have ripped all that information out of the music and created my own playlists, according to folder contents.
    02-04-11 08:33 AM
    Because some people are NOT kids and want things arranged the way they want them. I myself have my music arranged in a way that I want, using iTunes f*^ks that all up. It wants to arrange by id3 tags and such, I have ripped all that information out of the music and created my own playlists, according to folder contents.
    I meant, "what difference does the OS make?" You can have an app that stores and uses files the "right" way and you can have an app that stores and uses files the "wrong" way. I'm sure the media player that comes with the PlayBook will work in a similar way to what we are used to with BBOS but that doesn't mean someone can't make their own app which treats .mp3's in a completely different way.
    02-04-11 08:46 AM
    I'm almost certain RIM will allow a user to add/remove folders as they want on the Playbook. It works that way on the BB OS, and RIM was never the type to disable simple functionality like that.
    02-04-11 08:55 AM
    RIM has never been scared of folders.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-11 09:36 AM
    For the OP, the correct answer is we don't know, and it probably doesn't help you to say that we can do this on our Blackberry phones since you've got 20,000 plus pictures to organize and the Playbook will not be using Blackberry OS. It has a new operating system, so file management is not a question we can answer. (What if it's like a PS3 and does folders but not subfolders?).

What I can say is we all BELIEVE that it will manage files and folders in the same way as our phones, but we don't know the answer as yet. It's also very likely that the next generation iPad will address your concern

Good question, and one that will likely be answered very soon!
    02-04-11 03:51 PM
    Good question, I have not heard anything different about that. But I can image a third party app giving you that option. I can't figure out how one can make that possible but it's nothing impossible.
    02-04-11 09:51 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, I had hoped someone might have noticed something at CES when it was being shown off.
    02-04-11 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD