I use handbrake with the normal setting and everything I have tried works perfect.
    It's the best free software solution for this type of thing.
    04-04-12 11:59 AM
    The OP is not asking about how to rip DVDs he is asking about trying to transfer the DRM laden digital copies he already has in his collection. Telling him what to use to rip DVDs may not be answering the question.
    04-04-12 02:28 PM
    The OP is not asking about how to rip DVDs he is asking about trying to transfer the DRM laden digital copies he already has in his collection. Telling him what to use to rip DVDs may not be answering the question.
    True... but it may be the best and most helpful answer that he gets.

AFAIK Playbook will not play DRM protected media, so the digital copies he's trying to use are useless to him. Transferring those digital copies to the Playbook is easy, but futile, and a few above have mentioned that.

Instead, OP needs to convert the film on the DVD into a non-DRM'ed version (e.g. a mainstream .mp4) and then transfer that to the PB where it will play perfectly.

Handbrake is great, Freemake is faster. Both are free and both work on Mac.

I use another free program called DVD Shrink to remove the DVD encryption before I use Freemake.

All of the above is legal to do, at least in the UK, where you are entitled to make backups of DVDs that you own for your personal use to view on any device. IIRC, that legal right was established way back in the days of cassette tape, when we won the right to copy LPs (showing my age now LOL) to tape for use in the car.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 04-04-12 at 04:30 PM.
    04-04-12 04:02 PM
    Agreed 110% however it is not just a Playbook thing. DRM'ed files have their own playback requirements, depends on the DRM used and the terms of use. You can't use an iTunes DRM'ed MP4 on an Xbox 360, unless the DRM specifically allows for it. People are making it sound like some sort of limitation of the Playbook, but it isn't at all. It has to do with the DRM'ed content and its use requirements.
    04-04-12 04:39 PM
    True... but it may be the best and most helpful answer that he gets.

AFAIK Playbook will not play DRM protected media, so the digital copies he's trying to use are useless to him. Transferring those digital copies to the Playbook is easy, but futile, and a few above have mentioned that.

Instead, OP needs to convert the film on the DVD into a non-DRM'ed version (e.g. a mainstream .mp4) and then transfer that to the PB where it will play perfectly.

Handbrake is great, Freemake is faster. Both are free and both work on Mac.

I use another free program called DVD Shrink to remove the DVD encryption before I use Freemake.

All of the above is legal to do, at least in the UK, where you are entitled to make backups of DVDs that you own for your personal use to view on any device. IIRC, that legal right was established way back in the days of cassette tape, when we won the right to copy LPs (showing my age now LOL) to tape for use in the car.
    I thought it went back to the days of the Magna Carta when all those copies were made and then exported to the various colonies, like THIS one!
    04-04-12 05:53 PM
    I thought it went back to the days of the Magna Carta when all those copies were made and then exported to the various colonies, like THIS one!
    Heh-Heh... I'm glad to see that you colonials still recall your history.

You seem to have done quite well for yourselves since we let you have your independence, but it's not all gravy now that you're no longer British.

No Queen (G'awd bless 'er), and you've completely lost the know-how to make a really nice cup of tea!
    04-05-12 02:42 AM
    Heh-Heh... I'm glad to see that you colonials still recall your history.

You seem to have done quite well for yourselves since we let you have your independence, but it's not all gravy now that you're no longer British.

No Queen (G'awd bless 'er), and you've completely lost the know-how to make a really nice cup of tea!
    Actually, if I went back to my mixed up roots, it would be the Czar that got my allegiance - no thanks. "Give us your tired, your poor" and your non-Brits!
    04-05-12 09:20 AM
    Get Freemake Video Converter. Very easy use. Open Freemake, you'll see buttons for several formats, including, and most importantly, a BB phone button. This works for PB too. Put ANY dvd, haven't tried bluray, in player. Click BB button. Be sure to save to shared/common file, or DM won't find it. NOTE: in DM, always check videos wanted on PB, just checking the one u want to add will remove videos already there. Be sure to always check mark ALL videos wanted before you sync. PRESTO!
    04-05-12 11:09 AM
    I must be missing something. Why is itunes DRMing digital copies of dvds? Can you not just transfer them from the disc to the PB like you can in win. Explorer?
    04-05-12 12:59 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD