When I first got my Playbook, I thought it would be easy to put movies on it. I went and grabbed all the DVD's I had with digital downloads and put them on my Mac computer. To my disappointment, the movies could not be transferred from iTunes to the Playbook. Is there anyway to put movies on the playbook legally when you have a Mac computer?
    11-18-11 05:37 PM
    Install the BB desktop software. It shows up as a network folder once the drivers are installed.
    11-18-11 05:40 PM
    Install the BB desktop software. It shows up as a network folder once the drivers are installed.
    I have BB desktop installed. Still, the movies cant be transferred. It says DRM beside them. Am I missing something?
    11-18-11 05:55 PM
    This is an area where the playbook fails miserably. It won't play DRM protected movie files. So you cant play movies bought legally. Its very disappointing.
    11-18-11 06:04 PM
    playbook handles windows movie files wmv fine just not apple drm files
    11-18-11 08:15 PM
    Did you get iTuned?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-18-11 08:35 PM
    playbook handles windows movie files wmv fine just not apple drm files
    So if you put digital downloads on a PC you can transfer them to the Playbook?
    11-18-11 08:57 PM
    I have a mac. I also have a playbook. I use a converter to make the dvd an .mp4. I think its by Xilisoft. Its a bit expensive but well worth the expense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-11 09:03 PM
    There is a tutorial called "How to convert iTunes to BlackBerry PlayBook for watching?" which explains the process in detail. Also, a knowledge base article (KB26136) from Research In Motion covering synchronization of music, photographs, and movies.
    Bye Berry, 93zder and xindy like this.
    11-18-11 09:07 PM
    I have a mac. I also have a playbook. I use a converter to make the dvd an .mp4. I think its by Xilisoft. Its a bit expensive but well worth the expense.
    Is HandBrake not available for the Apple Mac?
    Bye Berry likes this.
    11-18-11 09:08 PM
    There is a tutorial called "How to convert iTunes to BlackBerry PlayBook for watching?" which explains the process in detail. Also, a knowledge base article (KB26136) from Research In Motion covering synchronization of music, photographs, and movies.
    That will only work on a Windows based computer, correct? Is there something similar for iMac?
    11-19-11 10:47 AM
    Is HandBrake not available for the Apple Mac?
    Trying that right now.
    11-19-11 10:56 AM
    another vote for handbrake. it converts almost anything to playbook playable format. it also converts stuff to ipod/ipad playable formats. and best of all its free. heres a UI screenie.

on the right are profiles you can use for other devices but i usually leave it on normal. drop a file in, add to queue and convert. presto, m4v/mkv/mp4 file that works on playbook!
    DaddyFizzle likes this.
    11-19-11 11:13 AM
    what setting do i use.? i tried using wmv as suggested but that didnt work. should i use mp4? there are several mp4 . which one?
    11-19-11 08:45 PM
    Use handbrake and choose iPad or apple tv setting. Then just save to desktop, and drag to playbook over wifi
    Infiniti14 and DaddyFizzle like this.
    11-19-11 09:29 PM
    Does handbrake convert a movie with DRM, such as a legally purchased dvd, or do you have to strip the DRM first...and any suggestions for a program to do that?

11-19-11 10:06 PM
    subscribed...
    11-19-11 10:20 PM
    Does handbrake convert a movie with DRM, such as a legally purchased dvd, or do you have to strip the DRM first...and any suggestions for a program to do that?

yes; i'm new here so i don't know all the rules. some places tend to delete or restrict post with specific information. i can tell you that if you google it you will find it...that's what i did.
    11-19-11 10:27 PM
    Use handbrake and choose iPad or apple tv setting. Then just save to desktop, and drag to playbook over wifi
    I used DRM converter software on mp4 setting and it worked great for my amazon prime videos!
    11-20-11 12:29 AM
    what setting do i use.? i tried using wmv as suggested but that didnt work. should i use mp4? there are several mp4 . which one?
    Try MP4, that's what I set and it works.
    11-23-11 02:56 AM
    I have BB desktop installed. Still, the movies cant be transferred. It says DRM beside them. Am I missing something?
    DRM is Digital Rights/Restrictions Management. It's technology that's designed to prevent you from copying the content. There are some standardized DRM system that work across devices, however Apple uses a proprietary DRM system to prevent the playing of the content in any non-Apple software. Those movies won't play on a PlayBook, Android or Windows Phone. There are options to remove the DRM. Once you do that they should play fine on the PlayBook, as I do not believe this is a codec issue. However, removing the DRM is illegal in most countries, which is why I'm not going to link to how to do it.

The lesson here is you don't really own DRM'd content. You can use it only to the extent the publisher let's you. If Apple shut down their authorization servers it'd stop working everywhere, even iTunes and iDevices. This may seem like an abstract threat, but Google did just that a few years ago. They did refund everyone's purchases, but were under no obligation to do so.

11-23-11 09:54 AM
    subscribed...
    04-04-12 08:40 AM
    Take a look at Aimersoft DVD Ultimate. It has a PRESET for the Platbook. Select that profile, and the second click, and it's converting for the PB, then just drag and drop into the Video File on the playbook.

You might also want to look for DVD43 on Google (or Startpage.com) and this will let you make a copy of any DVD that YOU OWN. This runs in the background and you will never really see it. This way you can make backups of your personal property (the DVD that you bought) and does not infringe on copyright issues.

Tried Handbrake, worked ok, but there is a curve and you have to get the settings just right to format and such.

Aimersoft, 2 clicks and your running

Aimersoft runs about 40 bucks, and DVD43 is free.

2 clicks and you walk away and mow the lawn, have an adult beverage (after the mowing part) and you should have the file ready to drag and drop onto you Playbook.

c
    world saviour likes this.
    04-04-12 09:26 AM
    This is an area where the playbook fails miserably. It won't play DRM protected movie files. So you cant play movies bought legally. Its very disappointing.
    This has nothing to do with the Playbook at all. It is has to do with content creators and their nasty DRM and all their rules that go along with it. The best thing to do with those digital copies is throw them out, don't install them. Did you know they can only be installed for a 'limited time'? The disc is time bombed, can't load them a year from now. You get a new computer you are hooped! Make your own copies by ripping the DVD instead and throw those damn digital copies, they are junk!
    04-04-12 09:56 AM
    Another vote for Handbrake - ripped every DVD I've put in the laptop.
    04-04-12 11:14 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD