when it gets netflix and skype and other oft requested apps, that will demonstrate some kind of success...

for sale dec 31 2012 lol!
    01-25-12 11:31 PM
    when it gets netflix and skype and other oft requested apps, that will demonstrate some kind of success...

for sale dec 31 2012 lol!
    I tend to think along these lines. If the PlayBook starts to get all the major apps on deck for BlackBerry 10 I think it will have been successful. Not financially. But this is a step without which nothing else will matter for RIM.
    01-26-12 12:45 AM
    All the estimates I'm seeing for non-iPad tablets show even the most popular models, like the Tab 10.1, coming in at the low single-digit millions for sales (or is that units shipped?). Regardless, the fact that - despite scathing reviews from the iFad dominate media - RIM sold as many as they have is quite remarkable. They're certainly doing no worse than most of the "me too" Android makers, and with QNX giving them that extra bit of differentiation I predict a surge in new interest throughout 2012. Which means RIM's decision to stay the course with QNX is looking more and more like a smart move.

RCK
    01-26-12 05:17 AM
    As long as you don't count market share the Playbook could be a success.

iOS and Android make up 99.5% of the tablet market.
    01-26-12 07:59 AM
    A success when you are in front
    or
    finish up the largest portion of a pie.
    01-26-12 08:11 AM
    I think RIM could go a long way in marketing the PB better. There is so much negative stigma out there that they just need to raise the PB out of the minutia. This would appeal to non business types much more than RIM may think. Get 2.0 out and get some cool commercials. Will it ever clear as many units as the iPad, probably not but nobody can at this point. I would say if the PB 2 is released then RIM deems this a success enough to put another out there. As a PB, Android, iOS user once I took a chance with the PB I find it to be the best of all of the tabs I have owned. If consumers and prosumers get this in their hands after 2.0 I think the adoption rate will raise as they realize that it is a solid tab.
    01-26-12 08:33 AM
    when I no longer have to mock ridiculous posts with my sig, or question trolls who barf out numbers like "99.5% prefer such and such" which are purely made up by the poster, then I'll count it as a success.
    01-26-12 08:59 AM
    when I no longer have to mock ridiculous posts with my sig, or question trolls who barf out numbers like "99.5% prefer such and such" which are purely made up by the poster, then I'll count it as a success.
    I do appologize. It is 96.7%, not 99.5%. That was terrible of me to be off by so much.

Strategy Analytics: Apple still owns tablet market, but Android narrows the gap -- Engadget
    01-26-12 09:04 AM
    I do appologize. It is 96.7%, not 99.5%. That was terrible of me to be off by so much.

Strategy Analytics: Apple still owns tablet market, but Android narrows the gap -- Engadget
    while you're at it, can you pull up the numbers for my favorite fine dining by an award winning chef and see how they fare against Mickey D's "10 billion served"? Enjoy your Big Mac my wool producing friend.
    01-26-12 09:08 AM
    while you're at it, can you pull up the numbers for my favorite fine dining by an award winning chef and see how they fare against Mickey D's "10 billion served"? Enjoy your Big Mac my wool producing friend.
    By this analogy, PlayBook would be like the fine dining restaurant which offers less expensive food than McDonald's (PlayBook now cheaper to purchase than iPad), yet gets creamed in every single metric (unit sales, revenue, profit, selection, etc).
    01-26-12 09:45 AM
    By this analogy, PlayBook would be like the fine dining restaurant which offers less expensive food than McDonald's (PlayBook now cheaper to purchase than iPad), yet gets creamed in every single metric (unit sales, revenue, profit, selection, etc).
    Yes that's correct. Better food for lower price just as you said. You just illustrated my point, so I'm not sure whether you meant to argue and misspoke? If you're trying to make my analogy look bad, you should have typed it as this:

By this analogy, PlayBook would be like the fine dining restaurant which offers BETTER FOOD than McDonald's, yet gets creamed in every single metric (unit sales, revenue, profit, selection, etc).
    Does that help? Hmmm no, I think I'd still go for the restaurant, rather than join the wool-producing species of the market, eating isht just because everyone else does and they listen to advertising rather than actually engage in independent thought.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 01-26-12 at 10:18 AM.
    01-26-12 09:57 AM
    Some folks like creamed spinach and creamed corn - so there's something for everyone in those numbers!

It will be what it will be. I stick with my original - if still sold next Dec 31, or should it be THIS Dec 31.
    01-26-12 10:21 AM
    Yes. And oddly there'd be a bunch of McDonald's customers standing just inside the doorway of said fine dining restaurant trying to convince the restaurant's customers that they should actually be over at McDonald's with everyone else.
    01-26-12 10:31 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD