I'm having trouble connecting my Playbook to my win7 laptop over my wifi network the trouble shooter gives a cryptic DNS sever unavailable message. Please help!
    11-23-11 11:47 PM
    Are you using the workaround? I have been opening the playbook through the run command by running it's IP address

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-11 12:12 AM
    I tried that comes up no items match your search very frustrating! it shows up in my network but when I click on it it give the above error message
    11-24-11 12:49 AM
    try using the format \\your PB IP address\media
    11-24-11 01:08 AM
    Thanks got it to work hopefully the 2.0 update will fix this annoying problem
    11-24-11 01:37 AM
    I have always browsed my pb using this method and now running the os2 beta i still do it this way.
    11-24-11 05:32 AM
    I have always browsed my pb using this method and now running the os2 beta i still do it this way.
    Same. I have a shortcut to "run" on my desktop. Quick click and I'm in

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-11 05:06 PM
    My Playbook shows up in the Network with the name I gave to it (BBPLAYBOOK) but when I try to open it, I get the Network Error message "Windows cannot access \\BBPLAYBOOK". I run Diagnose and I ultimately get Problems found as "Your DNS server might be unavailable".
    I can access my Playbook with the "Run" method by entering my PB IP address but it sure would be nice to just click on it within the Network.
    Can anyone tell me what I might be able to do to get this to work?
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    12-20-11 12:49 PM
    This worked for me for like 2 days when I first got the PlayBook and hasn't worked since. I just plug my PB in when I need to transfer files anyways. It's much faster over the USB than it is over WiFi for me.
    12-20-11 01:22 PM
    RIM changed something that "broke" the easier network connection a few updates ago. Ever since then I've had to use the IP address solution. But as mentioned, once I've opened an Explorer Window, I then saved that as a shortcut and I can click on that and I'm in. The shortcut looks like:

\\192.168.1.103\media

Your address might differ.
    kahuna234 likes this.
    12-20-11 03:31 PM
    Try something like this: right click on desktop - new shortcut - enter your PB address like \\192.168.1.103\media - give it a name - save. Right click on shortcut - map network drive and that will make it show up under My Computer.

EDIT: If you ever have to reboot your router, this address might change and you have to do all that again according to what the PB shows it has changed to.
    Last edited by ralfyguy; 12-20-11 at 07:18 PM.
    kahuna234 and omniusovermind like this.
    12-20-11 07:16 PM
    In Windows, open My Computer.
    Click on the Tools menu and choose Map network drive...
    Select a drive letter, P: for Playbook, for example.
    Enter \\192.168.1.103\media as the Folder.

Replace 192.168.1.103 with the IP for your Playbook.

You can find your Playbook IP under the Network settings.
    sushistew and kahuna234 like this.
    12-20-11 09:05 PM
    In a decent router you can set a reservation for the Playbook in the dhcp list so that it will have the same IP regardless of reboots etc

Myself I tend to just plug it in on my desk anyway in it's case (Targus book convertible case) with my 9700 plugged in beside it.

Always charged and acessible with a finger swipe.
    12-20-11 09:36 PM
    In a decent router you can set a reservation for the Playbook in the dhcp list so that it will have the same IP regardless of reboots etc

Myself I tend to just plug it in on my desk anyway in it's case (Targus book convertible case) with my 9700 plugged in beside it.

Always charged and acessible with a finger swipe.
    My somewhat older linksys does not appear to have that capability. But I set a static address or something on the pb, itself.
    12-20-11 10:36 PM
    Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll try the ideas out and see how it goes. Much appreciated.
    12-23-11 09:40 AM
    Both suggestions by "ralfyguy" and "Angus_CB" worked perfectly! Thanks so much.
    12-23-11 09:49 AM
    RIM changed something that "broke" the easier network connection a few updates ago. Ever since then I've had to use the IP address solution. But as mentioned, once I've opened an Explorer Window, I then saved that as a shortcut and I can click on that and I'm in. The shortcut looks like:

\\192.168.1.103\media

Your address might differ.
    i use Linux Debian for my PC OS. Any idea how to open the PB directory on a Linux desktop? If no one can help me here, I will try the Linux forum.
    12-26-11 06:26 AM
    i use Linux Debian for my PC OS. Any idea how to open the PB directory on a Linux desktop? If no one can help me here, I will try the Linux forum.
    Someone may be by with info.

Is there a way to create shortcuts on a Linux desktop? You'd create something to open a folder but in this case, it would be the address of your pb.
    12-26-11 09:52 AM
    Someone may be by with info.

Is there a way to create shortcuts on a Linux desktop? You'd create something to open a folder but in this case, it would be the address of your pb.
    Yes, you can create Launchers, I tried typing in a terminal the same as I type in windows and it says unavailable?

I brought the issue up in the Linux forum, when I get the answer I will start a new thread for any one else that needs to know how?
    12-26-11 03:56 PM
    OK, all set. The Linux Gurus have spoken.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...64#post6971964
    12-26-11 05:45 PM
    OK, all set. The Linux Gurus have spoken.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...64#post6971964
    12-26-11 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD