I have an Itunes account and I actually like buying movies,tv shows, music through Itunes. I have been thinking about buying a Playbook because I like the size much better than an IPAD. I don't use aps much, I just want a tablet to browse and use on the go to watch movies, etc.

If I buy a Playbook, can i transfer movies from my computer to a Playbook just as easily as I could the IPAD?

Where else do some of you buy movies from besides Itunes? For my current movies on DVD, what would be the easiest way to make them viewable on the Playbook?

Edited to ask, If I buy movies from Amazon, is there an easy way to put them on the Playbook?
    Last edited by macfan3131; 10-06-11 at 12:31 AM.
    10-06-11 12:27 AM
    Very good questions.

Apparently a movie store for the PlayBook is coming soon.

Other than streaming, legally we don't have a store yet.

Converting iTunes would require the removal of the DRM copy protection. Google it for options, a 'friend' told me the quality is pretty average once you remove the DRM.

Converting DVD's is easy, I use Freemake Video Converter, you can get it from filehippo.com
    10-06-11 12:37 AM
    Unfortunately you need to remove the DRM. If you live in Apple's world, it's hard to get out...that's why I never get any videos or music from them in the first place.
    cherolis likes this.
    10-06-11 12:43 AM
    Trust me...I fell prey to this when I first got my PB back in May. I have so many movies & tv shows on my Appletv and I was so sure that they would work on my PB because all of the songs I have purchased worked...well who was the fool in the end BUT ME! Damn you Apple!!! Damn you!
    cherolis and loreenb1 like this.
    10-06-11 12:49 AM
    Damn you Apple!!! Damn you!
    Or it can also be [I]Damn you RIM!!! Damn you! "... it can also work that way...

Seriously, the same thing happened to me when I gave up my iPad (1st Generation) over PlayBook... I lost my collections... but I guess, we can't really blamed both parties... afterall, it's business... even it is subjective for us, for them, nothing personal...

I was only hoping that there would be a third application to do that... even if we have to pay for it... what else we can do?...
    10-06-11 01:12 AM
    I wasn't aware of that. I thought DRM was just a copyright protection, didn't realize it would impact my ability to easy watch an Itunes movie from IPAD to another type of format. It doesn't seem like there is an easy way to buy digital movies and watch them easily on any type of device from the computer to tv to your phone. I guess you have to pick a system (Apple, Amazon, etc. ) and stick with it.

Can't you buy DVD's and get a computer copy included in in the case and burn the copy once? Would this be an easy way to put a movie onto a Playbook?
    10-06-11 01:25 AM
    Trust me...I fell prey to this when I first got my PB back in May. I have so many movies & tv shows on my Appletv and I was so sure that they would work on my PB because all of the songs I have purchased worked...well who was the fool in the end BUT ME! Damn you Apple!!! Damn you!
    Trust me, your blame is misplaced. There's no denying Apple would prefer to keep you in their ecosystem of products. There's really something powerful about they way they integrate and interact with each other without hassle. However, the formats Apple uses for their movies and music (the h.264 and aac codecs, with .mp4 and .m4a and .m4v file extensions) are in fact supported by the Playbook.

As you've pointed out it's the DRM that's the problem. That's digital rights management. A requirement of the distribution studios, not Apple. It boils down to Apple is paying the studios for the rights to this content to be viewed on Apple devices, and the DRM agreement ensures the media cannot be accessed on unauthorized devices for copyright purposes. The main goal with DRM is to prevent piracy of course, or so that's the way we're fed it. A little research shows piracy is stronger than ever, and DRM negatively affects the honest consumers more than anything else. (Anybody remember the xbox game fiasco where good honest customers we're forced to hack their game because X title required a constant internet connection to the server and this meant shut down if your connection dropped??) Anyhow, Buy the content once, why should you have to pay for it again ? Further research will show Apple sees it this way as well and that is why they've gone out of their way to remove DRM from all iTunes music. I'm guessing the film studios aren't quite that willing just yet (if ever).

Excuse the rant, just bugs me when companies get a bad rep for things that are out of their control and misunderstood. Oh and before anybody gets all fanboy accusational, I posted this from my Bold 9900. =P
    10-06-11 01:30 AM
    I wasn't aware of that. I thought DRM was just a copyright protection, didn't realize it would impact my ability to easy watch an Itunes movie from IPAD to another type of format. It doesn't seem like there is an easy way to buy digital movies and watch them easily on any type of device from the computer to tv to your phone. I guess you have to pick a system (Apple, Amazon, etc. ) and stick with it.

Can't you buy DVD's and get a computer copy included in in the case and burn the copy once? Would this be an easy way to put a movie onto a Playbook?
    On the surface 'Apple' has made it easy, however you pay $25 for a movie you could buy on DVD for $15 (just an example, in Australia it has been mentioned in the media we pay 60% to much by purchasing on iTunes). Once you commit to Apple, your LOCKED in.

DVD to MP4 is easy and you get to keep a non digital copy should your Computer crash etc. If you use an Apple TV device (as I do), MP4 is fine for both the PlayBook and the ATV.

Lots of Software does it, I use;
    Download Freemake Video Converter 2.3.4.2 - FileHippo.com
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-06-11 01:35 AM
    P.S.

The solution as I see it? Learn how to use torrents. Tons of quality movies out their, better quality than iTunes or any online movie store, decent file sizes, and no DRM. Fyi 720P is a lot more gorgeous than it's given credit for and goes a long way in keeping the file size more managable.

As for music, though iTunes music shouldn't be a problem, I've got 250 or so full albums in my iTunes library beautifully organized. 1 or 2 of them were purchased in iTunes, the rest are cds I've ripped myself, or paid downloads either of which I will buy directly from the artist and/or labels website when I have the option. More money goes to the artist if you cut out as many middle men as possible!
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-06-11 01:38 AM
    I'll agree, they are charing way too much money for digital content. May also be reflective of studio agreements I'm not sure of Apple's markup... Either way its ridiculous when you can get the blu ray for significantly less most of the time and that gets you a physical copy of the highest uncompressed quality, as well as a disc with a digital copy most of the time.... Not to mention a better quality download for free with a little bit of know how. Movie studios better smarten up soon or they're going to be hurtin'.
    10-06-11 01:45 AM
    what else we can do?...
    Don't buy your digital content from anybodys online store if they have DRM. (But good luck with finding one that doesn't use it). It's a common myth that only music or movies bought from the iTunes store can be used in iTunes and thus on Apple devices. This couldn't be farther from the truth, though it is the easiest method. Fact is, any compatible file format can be imported into iTunes by clicking on file, then import (careful with your iTunes settings, this can at times lead to duplicate files filling up your hard drive), or transferred from your PC to your playbook.
    10-06-11 01:53 AM
    For converting DVD's to the playbook I use DVD catalyst 4. Cost 10 dollars but, for me, I really like the software and it does a great job of converting. I have 25 movies on the PB now.
    10-06-11 11:05 AM
    Yeah, to be fair, all legally streaming movie services use DRM. I'm sure the BB service will also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 11:08 AM
    Trust me, your blame is misplaced. There's no denying Apple would prefer to keep you in their ecosystem of products. There's really something powerful about they way they integrate and interact with each other without hassle. However, the formats Apple uses for their movies and music (the h.264 and aac codecs, with .mp4 and .m4a and .m4v file extensions) are in fact supported by the Playbook.

As you've pointed out it's the DRM that's the problem. That's digital rights management. A requirement of the distribution studios, not Apple. It boils down to Apple is paying the studios for the rights to this content to be viewed on Apple devices, and the DRM agreement ensures the media cannot be accessed on unauthorized devices for copyright purposes. The main goal with DRM is to prevent piracy of course, or so that's the way we're fed it. A little research shows piracy is stronger than ever, and DRM negatively affects the honest consumers more than anything else. (Anybody remember the xbox game fiasco where good honest customers we're forced to hack their game because X title required a constant internet connection to the server and this meant shut down if your connection dropped??) Anyhow, Buy the content once, why should you have to pay for it again ? Further research will show Apple sees it this way as well and that is why they've gone out of their way to remove DRM from all iTunes music. I'm guessing the film studios aren't quite that willing just yet (if ever).

Excuse the rant, just bugs me when companies get a bad rep for things that are out of their control and misunderstood. Oh and before anybody gets all fanboy accusational, I posted this from my Bold 9900. =P

Thank you for clearing that up. This discussion has took place in another thread months ago and we were told that Apple puts DRM on its video media in order to force people to buy their devices. I must admit your explanation sounds more plausible as it didn't make sense that songs purchased on itunes play on the Playbook but not movies.
    10-06-11 06:33 PM
    I'm looking forward to the store on the PB. I think if you use a HDMI cable it will be great.
    Jermaster and cfrey123 like this.
    10-06-11 06:35 PM
    Use handbrake to convert to mp4 Its free also
    10-06-11 08:06 PM
    All video has DRM -- this is not unique to Apple. You're essentially going to be locked into whatever ecosystem you use to buy videos, since the DRM will be unique to that ecosystem. Choose the company carefully, as you'll be stuck with them. At least Apple is still in business -- many other music/video services have gone out of business, and then you're just SOL.
    10-06-11 08:19 PM
    P.S.

The solution as I see it? Learn how to use torrents. Tons of quality movies out their, better quality than iTunes or any online movie store, decent file sizes, and no DRM. Fyi 720P is a lot more gorgeous than it's given credit for and goes a long way in keeping the file size more managable.

As for music, though iTunes music shouldn't be a problem, I've got 250 or so full albums in my iTunes library beautifully organized. 1 or 2 of them were purchased in iTunes, the rest are cds I've ripped myself, or paid downloads either of which I will buy directly from the artist and/or labels website when I have the option. More money goes to the artist if you cut out as many middle men as possible!
    So you're advising the commenter to violate copyright law. Sounds great.

I'll agree, they are charing way too much money for digital content. May also be reflective of studio agreements I'm not sure of Apple's markup... Either way its ridiculous when you can get the blu ray for significantly less most of the time and that gets you a physical copy of the highest uncompressed quality, as well as a disc with a digital copy most of the time.... Not to mention a better quality download for free with a little bit of know how. Movie studios better smarten up soon or they're going to be hurtin'.
    Blu ray discs would not sell at decent prices with digital copies included if studios weren't trying to offer an Apple alternative.
    10-06-11 08:30 PM
    Just a note here about 720p and iTunes. The files are nearly 2x the size of standard def and the difference is pretty underwhelming. Some shows its a struggle to even detect a difference.
    10-06-11 08:56 PM
    So you're advising the commenter to violate copyright law. Sounds great.

Blu ray discs would not sell at decent prices with digital copies included if studios weren't trying to offer an Apple alternative.
    I'm not saying violating copyright law is necessarily right, it's more of a gray area as the law quite often doesn't best serve the people. I did mention nearly all of my music being paid for did I not?

Sometimes the only way positive change can occur is if you force someones hand. The music industry continues to survive because someone came along and finally made it simple for people to download music. When it's simple , people don't seem to mind paying. Then they made it more simple by removing the DRMso you can play music you already paid for onany device without hassle. If the movie studios would jump on board with making things easier, I'm certain they'd have an ever growing number of satisfied, paying customers, and piracy maybe would go down because there's more incentive to pay for the content. Either way, what they're putting the honest customers through sure as **** ain't working. If you know where to look you can find a new release easily the very moment its out if not sooner, of better quality, and free of drm.

As for the blu ray discs / apple alternative, it is the apple (or equivelent) alternative that needs to be cheaper (especially when you consider being locked in to a platform), and the blu ray prices ought to remain the same as they are now. Another retardation is when certain content is exclusive to a specific service or region......Seriously, what the ****? That also leads to more copyright violation. There's a ton of great content on Netflix and itunes U.S. that isn't available to me north of the border and it all boils down to more licensing money bul****.
    10-08-11 02:32 AM
    Just a note here about 720p and iTunes. The files are nearly 2x the size of standard def and the difference is pretty underwhelming. Some shows its a struggle to even detect a difference.
    Not sure about the shows, but there's definitely a big difference with the newer movies if you're watching on a decent size screen 15" +. On a smart phone or tablet I'd agree it'd be fairly negligible though....playbook and ipads both get a whole lotta flack about being "low resolution" simply because some droid devices are a bit higher at 1280 x 800 , and I think on screens these sizes its more or less irrelevent.
    10-08-11 02:43 AM
    720p can look excellent, as some have said. Just look at OTA antenna shows. As long as the show was shot with a good camera, it usually look awesome. Better than overly compressed cable/satellite 1080i/p in a lot of cases. Its all about camera's, post processing and compression. Resolution is actually a small part if those aren't done well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-11 01:34 PM
    this is where i wish there was a netflix app for the playbook...
    10-08-11 01:49 PM
  24. liliauchocolat005@gmail.com's Avatar
    I think free DRM Removal will be helpful in your case. It's perfect, but I recommend you to learn more about this soft on the site. Anyway the possibility to get a professional media converter for free should be positive.
    04-18-12 09:21 AM
    I have an Itunes account and I actually like buying movies,tv shows, music through Itunes. I have been thinking about buying a Playbook because I like the size much better than an IPAD. I don't use aps much, I just want a tablet to browse and use on the go to watch movies, etc.

If I buy a Playbook, can i transfer movies from my computer to a Playbook just as easily as I could the IPAD?

Where else do some of you buy movies from besides Itunes? For my current movies on DVD, what would be the easiest way to make them viewable on the Playbook?

Edited to ask, If I buy movies from Amazon, is there an easy way to put them on the Playbook?
    Just as some folks mentiones, the problem with iTunes is that DRM attaches to purchased iTunes movies and TV shows doesn�t allow non-authorized devices to play. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the playbook doesn't have got a license to play DRM contents from iTunes. Finally, if you really need to put iTunes contnes to BB playbook for personal use, check out the guide below:

Tricks for transferring iTunes movies onto PlayBook

For getting DVD movies viewable on playbook, I'm using Handbrake (freeware) and PavTube's DVD Ripper. If you're looking for ease of use, and don't mind spending $30 (they currently have a sale), I've had success using PavTube to convert dvd discs to a format playable by playbook. I've found the quality to be excellent even with full-screen effect, and see no difference when compared to playing the discs themselves.
    04-27-12 01:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD