Hi,
    Like many Playbook owners here who aren't from RIM-supported countries, I've been trying to get hold of RIM apps for my Playbook. Searching for the apps on the Appworld on my Playbook won't even show the app. I tried doing a search on the pc appworld desktop site (appworld.blackberry.com/webstore) and got the apps shown in the results. However when I tried to download them, I got the message that the app is not supported for my device and carrier info. Checking the details on the right side of he screen, I saw that it showed Canada and my local carrier, which of course wouldn't match because I'm from Asia. I tried restarting and reconnecting my Playbook, and reloading the page on my pc browser, and this time it showed blanks for Country and Carrier, but still displayed the same error message.
    This led me to think that maybe if I could update these appropriately, I may be able to download the apps on my Playbook.
    Question now is, how do I do that??
    So far I've looked at editing my BB ID details, and found that I couldn't update these info there.
    I tried changing my Playbook's language and country settings, but the pc appworld page still reflects blanks for Country and Carrier. Of course, this is understandable since the Playbook doesn't really use a carrier (for now), because they're all wifi tablets.
    However, the fact that it displayed Canada as the Country, and my local carrier, means that Appworld is getting the info from somewhere.
    Any ideas on how I can update these details for my Playbook? Also, do you think this is even a worthwhile endeavor to pursue or to try, just to be able to download RIM apps ror my Playbook?
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.
    Happy New Year, CrackBerry Team and Forum members!
    01-01-12 10:56 AM
    Thats a pickle!
    First, i would update you BB ID with the alternate country.
    go to BlackBerry Technical Solution Center
    search for - how to change blackberry id

Second, update the details on your playbook, i would Security Wipe the unit and start fresh. During the set-up enter the alternate country.

if your Internet Tethering your playbook to your BB, you may want to delete that profile on hour PB which also details your real carrier information

then try again

hope that helps!

.....ps - i wonder if your wifi router or ip address is detailing your location? hmmmmm
    01-01-12 11:56 AM
    .....ps - i wonder if your wifi router or ip address is detailing your location? hmmmmm
    Your IP address is supplied by your local service provider and identifies your location. If you can trick App World servers into "thinking" that your IP address originates in Canada (for example) then it will serve you goods and services allowed for Canadian users.

This is the function of a proxy server - RIM's server only knows about the IP address that the proxy server gives it. When RIM unwittingly responds, the proxy server forwards the result of your request to you and you can enjoy your downloaded app.

This ploy does not always work. You will find that some countries are very adept at winning the cat a mouse game. It the national security service discovers the ip address of your proxy, then they can easily block communications (and possibly log your attempt to circumvent their arbitrary rules). Your only recourse then would be to find another proxy to use.
    01-01-12 12:28 PM
    How does this stuff work if you take your normally US or Canadian pb on a trip to Europe. My bbid is established. Now some app I read about is on a terrific sale. I'm logged in from a European wifi network. What/how does appworld react?

Or say my pb crashes while overseas for a week or two vacation. I either Security Wipe or Debrick using a wifi over "there" what happens? Am I stuck with a limited install until I return home? And then forced to do another full reload once home? Awkward and tedious to say the least.
    Last edited by F2; 01-01-12 at 01:07 PM.
    01-01-12 01:02 PM
    How does this stuff work if you take your normally US or Canadian pb on a trip to Europe. My bbid is established. Now some app I read about is on a terrific sale. I'm logged in from a European wifi network. What/how does appworld react?

Or say my pb crashes while overseas for a week or two vacation. I either Security Wipe or Debrick using a wifi over "there" what happens? Am I stuck with a limited install until I return home? And then forced to do another full reload once home? Awkward and tedious to say the least.
    If any of the following notions are incorrect, please feel free to comment. F2's question has been asked before by others and I'm not sure if a complete answer was ever provided.

After your hypothetical security wipe and after reinstalling the OS, you will see all the stuff (and only the stuff) that is available in the local region where you find yourself. You will not be able to reinstall apps unless they are licenced in the local region - in fact, you will not even see the unlicenced apps in PB App World.

Upon your return home, if there is anything "missing" from the OS, you may have to do another security wipe and reinstall it. If the OS is okay, and you don't need to recreate it, you will be able to reinstall all of the apps that you were not able to install overseas - they will magically re-appear in My World's uninstalled list. If you happened to install some apps that are only available overseas, they will not be removed from your system. But neither will they appear in My World as being installed. If you uninstall, one you will not be able to replace it and you will not be notified of any updates.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-01-12 01:26 PM
    I will be travelling to China in April.Is there anything I should know about the playbooks' performance before we go? Thanks.
    01-01-12 02:19 PM
    <<If you happened to install some apps that are only available overseas, they will not be removed from your system. But neither will they appear in My World as being installed. If you uninstall, one you will not be able to replace it and you will not be notified of any updates. >>

Not directed at you Buzz:

Now that is where the entire copyright regime is absolutely broken. I can buy a REAL Board Game and carry it it/out of the country (at least, I think I can). I can purchase a REAL Book and carry it around the world. I can use both the game and book anywhere I want. But I purchase an electronic copy of the game (and maybe even the book) and I cannot re-use my purchase because it was electronic if I'm "IN THE WRONG PLACE!"

Absurd!
    01-01-12 02:36 PM
    Hi,
    Like many Playbook owners here who aren't from RIM-supported countries, I've been trying to get hold of RIM apps for my Playbook. Searching for the apps on the Appworld on my Playbook won't even show the app. I tried doing a search on the pc appworld desktop site (appworld.blackberry.com/webstore) and got the apps shown in the results. However when I tried to download them, I got the message that the app is not supported for my device and carrier info. Checking the details on the right side of he screen, I saw that it showed Canada and my local carrier, which of course wouldn't match because I'm from Asia. I tried restarting and reconnecting my Playbook, and reloading the page on my pc browser, and this time it showed blanks for Country and Carrier, but still displayed the same error message.
    This led me to think that maybe if I could update these appropriately, I may be able to download the apps on my Playbook.
    Question now is, how do I do that??
    So far I've looked at editing my BB ID details, and found that I couldn't update these info there.
    I tried changing my Playbook's language and country settings, but the pc appworld page still reflects blanks for Country and Carrier. Of course, this is understandable since the Playbook doesn't really use a carrier (for now), because they're all wifi tablets.
    However, the fact that it displayed Canada as the Country, and my local carrier, means that Appworld is getting the info from somewhere.
    Any ideas on how I can update these details for my Playbook? Also, do you think this is even a worthwhile endeavor to pursue or to try, just to be able to download RIM apps ror my Playbook?
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.
    Happy New Year, CrackBerry Team and Forum members!
    Maybe try the security settings or language settings??
    01-01-12 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD