if I buy a Playbook, how could I access files on my laptop or our server? e.g. An Excell or word file? I am not interested in copying files over to use, but accessing the file directly (using the Playbook when I am roaming the halls or out mobile, Bridging thru my Torch).

I know that the i unit lets you do something like 'Go to My PC" or a variant. Do we have anything with BB?

(We are a business, use BES basic and have a 2-person IT group)
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 11-04-11 at 02:26 PM. Reason: shorter title
    11-04-11 02:25 PM
    I don't think there is anything yet. Your only choice now may be a web browser interface using either a cloud solution, or making a web interface on your servers and accessing the files through the web.

Microsoft has a Cloud product that worked with the Playbook. You might want to use the trial and see if it works for you.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=y2OJ0G6_

You may also want to make sure the PlayBook can handle the files you want to open. Currently the office apps on it are quite limited, including the Adobe reader.
    Last edited by robsteve; 11-04-11 at 02:57 PM.
    11-04-11 02:51 PM
    You could get the OS2 developer beta, and then install an RDP client for Android. It is not perfect, but it works. I use it when I get in a bind and need to find a file on my office desktop.
    11-04-11 03:56 PM
    Geek Pro -- TeamViewer and LogMeIn
    I see web info that they work with the Playbook. Any experience out there?
    11-04-11 04:03 PM
    I only tried teamviewer web interface to see if it would work and it did. Didn't do much or know how well it work for something like that.
    11-04-11 04:42 PM
    It appears there are not many choices to access laptop/server files from the Playbook - there were only 3-4 responses to this post.
    So what's next - will this be in OS2? It would seem to be a high priority business need?
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 11-14-11 at 09:06 PM. Reason: sp
    11-14-11 12:58 AM
    What happened to good old simple dropbox (using bluebox on the PB), you'd have to re-upload the edited file though.
    11-14-11 02:46 AM
    if I buy a Playbook, how could I access files on my laptop or our server? e.g. An Excell or word file? I am not interested in copying files over to use, but accessing the file directly (using the Playbook when I am roaming the halls or out mobile, Bridging thru my Torch).

I know that the i unit lets you do something like 'Go to My PC" or a variant. Do we have anything with BB?

(We are a business, use BES basic and have a 2-person IT group)
    Under BES, you should be able to access them with your browser/extranet.
    http://us.blackberry.com/apps-softwa...erver/express/ (btw it's BES Express)
    11-14-11 03:00 AM
    I use an ftp server running on my desktop and the playbook app Filebrower which has a built in ftp client. I can easily access every single file on my PC. There are many free ftp server solutions out there

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 07:41 AM
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. You've gone beyond my know how, so we'll be huddling tomorrow with the smart people.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 11-15-11 at 12:47 AM.
    11-14-11 09:07 PM
    the two ways I access my work PC through the Playbook:

1) OS 1.7: Install aVNC on the Playbook (appworld) and run TightVNC server (available as a free download) on the work PC. You need to configure a couple of things with your work IT people:

a static IP address and port for your work machine to point aVNC to, usually something port-forwarded through your corporate firewall to your specific machine. You configure aVNC to connect to these settings, the IT people allow it through to your machine, you configure TightVNC on your machine to accept inbound requests from your Playbook and you can remote completely into your work machine. Works fairly well, except you don't have full mouse control (right click & scroll wheel)

2) OS 2.0 beta: Load the Enterprise RPD Android app (converted file available here) and access your remote machine through Windows RDP... the catch: only works for Windows XP Pro machines and VISTA & Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate, as they are the ones that have the full RDP server built in. Faster than VNC app mentioned above, more fluid and a bit easier to control. Again, you'll have to have your IT people allow RDP access through the firewall, the common port is 3389.

I have routinely accessed my work PC from the Playbook with the above two methods reliably for the last few months. I like the RDP method better, but it involves running the beta Playbook OS.

Regards,
    Chaplin and rs87 like this.
    11-14-11 10:20 PM
    An obvious solution is RDM+ that you can get at App world . I have been using and works fairly well.
    11-15-11 03:20 AM
    If you have a webserver running on either machine you should beable to access content quite easily. I have one setup at home and I can even stream shows from it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-11 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD