I was just wondering what software and format people are using to transfer itune movies, tv shows, etc. to their PlayBooks. Thanks
    04-20-11 07:21 AM
    I was just wondering what software and format people are using to transfer itune movies, tv shows, etc. to their PlayBooks. Thanks
    Simple answer is... YOU CAN'T!

Long answer is you can't because Apple has DRM and can't be used on any other device that isn't Apple or has apple software.

I've heard that you can use Handbrake to convert to a more friendly file type to use on your playbook, but since I am VERY anti apple, I can't help you in that department
    04-20-11 07:50 AM
    Well if you bought them through itunes, well the short answer is no you can't. The long answer is there is software out there that can convert it, though most of them just play it through itunes and just capture that window and put into another file. Which means you will be losing some quality, on a small screen like the PB or a phone you wont notice, but on a large screen it will be noticable.

Now if the files are ones that you own and made your own backup of, well I personally use handbrake (free) and I use the iphone settings and the movies look just fine.
    05-12-11 08:33 AM
    Simple answer is... YOU CAN'T!

Long answer is you can't because Apple has DRM and can't be used on any other device that isn't Apple or has apple software.
    Sorry, but you're misinformed.

All legally purchased/rented videos have DRM, not just what Apple sells through iTunes. They do offer DRM-free music, but my understanding is that the video industry has never been open to the idea. So you are mistaken if you think this is an Apple issue. Fact is, Apple's file formats are industry standard (which is why you can play their DRM-free music anywhere on any device).

Netflix on demand is DRM'd. Hulu is DRM'd. YouTube movie rentals are DRM'd. Etc. Even physical DVD and BR discs have DRM nowadays. None of the DRM formats are interchangeable, so you can't play a Netflix movie in iTunes, you can't play an iTunes movie through the Hulu player, etc.

If you are capturing/converting/transferring any of these videos to another device, to a file, or to a different format, you're circumventing the DRM. It can be done with iTunes videos as well. It's not legal, but it's up to each person to decide what's ethical for them.

If you want a legal, hassle-free way to share DRM'd movies across devices, choose a "streaming" service that has apps on multiple devices. For instance, Netflix works pretty much everywhere, as does Hulu. Just remember, this doesn't apply to physical media or downloaded files obviously, since you're back to the issue of proprietary DRM formats.

More reading:

The escape of DRM-free video: stop yer lookin' - you'll never find it | TechNest Report | TNR
    05-12-11 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD