Since GPS kills battery life by continually seeking, I'd like to be sure it's off when I'm not using it. How can I be sure it's off?
    Thanks.
    01-21-13 02:40 PM
    From reading other threads, I believe that GPS only activates when an application makes use of it.
    01-21-13 02:45 PM
    01-21-13 02:46 PM
    Global Positioning Satellite
    01-21-13 05:54 PM
    Global Positioning Satellite
    Chaddface wasn't asking a question. It is a hyperlink to an already forum page named "GPS?"
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-21-13 06:39 PM
    That is a link. Not a question
    I think it would be system in this context.
    01-21-13 06:40 PM
    I've read all the links, but am not so sure the battery drain is minimal. Canon have released a new high end camera, called the ^6D". It has GPS also and people are finding that it drains the battery very fast, even in standby mode, and they are saying that it must be shut off, to preserve battery life. This seems parallel to my concerns (and prompted them) about being sure the GPS was off on the Playbook.
    01-22-13 09:05 AM
    I've read all the links, but am not so sure the battery drain is minimal. Canon have released a new high end camera, called the ^6D". It has GPS also and people are finding that it drains the battery very fast, even in standby mode, and they are saying that it must be shut off, to preserve battery life. This seems parallel to my concerns (and prompted them) about being sure the GPS was off on the Playbook.
    You can't compare a GPS-enabled camera's battary drain to a tablet's battery drain due to GPS use.

A GPS-enabled camera will put the geotagging information into pictures, therefore it will almost always be accessing the GPS. Tablets simply don't use the GPS unless a currently running app requires the GPS.
    01-22-13 09:40 AM
    You can't compare a GPS-enabled camera's battary drain to a tablet's battery drain due to GPS use.

A GPS-enabled camera will put the geotagging information into pictures, therefore it will almost always be accessing the GPS. Tablets simply don't use the GPS unless a currently running app requires the GPS.
    I'd agree and add, the size of the Battery Pack in the camera is probably smaller (less stored power) than the battery in the pb (or other tablet) but that's speculation on my part.
    01-22-13 10:27 AM
    Oh Michel, I see you're back from your ban... hopefully you don't go trolling around this time and interesting that you have a new account...

I have an Olympus TG810 with GPS, and yes it drains the battery but that has nothing to do with this. As one answer was already given, the GPS only activates when an APP calls for it. So this is NOT a concern!
    01-22-13 10:27 AM
    Don't know who was banned, but it was not me.

Oh Michel, I see you're back from your ban... hopefully you don't go trolling around this time and interesting that you have a new account...

I have an Olympus TG810 with GPS, and yes it drains the battery but that has nothing to do with this. As one answer was already given, the GPS only activates when an APP calls for it. So this is NOT a concern!
    01-22-13 04:54 PM
    Don't know who was banned, but it was not me.
    Oh ok sorry. Someone else I was thinking of then. My apologies
    01-22-13 05:01 PM