How to Bridge and Tether at the same time

This method uses tethering that your carrier might charge you for

I've done testing myself and have found that the bridge browser is terribly slow, making the browsing experience basically unusable. With that said, the bridge tethering does not allow apps to use the internet, rendering your internet apps useless.

With this method, you can use the main browser and any app that uses the internet AND still be bridged for your messages, contacts, etc.

1. Follow the set up to connect your BB to the Bridge. This will configure your PB to pair with your BB via bluetooth.

2. On your BB, go into the Bluetooth options and ensure that 'Dial-Up Networking' is checked/on! (Under network connections -> Bluetooth Connections -> BB Menu -> Options -> Enable Dial-Up Networking) (My torch was disabled by default which did not allow the tethering)

3. On your PB, go to the settings -> Internet Tethering and choose your BB device and carrier and connect to the Internet.

You are now tethered and bridged at the same time. You can use the main browser and I find this much more amazing than the bridging browser, speed-wise. Again, your carrier might charge you to tether, but this is fantastic for people who's carrier does not (Bell, Rogers)

You'll notice how I'm browsing on my browser and NOT the bridged browser while using my calendar and e-mail. My carrier is Bell.

Edit - It seems that your plan NEEDS to have tethering for you to do this
    Last edited by Clarkee; 04-21-11 at 05:01 PM.
    04-21-11 04:07 PM
    What carrier are you with?

I'm with att... With the dialup networking turned off, my PB now says that the 9800 is noT there... Before, I had the dialup turned on and it would just fail...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 04:26 PM
    I'm with Bell.

As soon as I put on 'Dial-Up Networking', the Internet Tethering found my Torch and connected no problem.
    04-21-11 04:29 PM
    dial up network needs to be on in order to tether using bluetooth. it says you phone is not there because with it off there technically no dialup modem to connect too. do you have a tethering plan on your att account if not that probably why its failling when you try.
    04-21-11 04:31 PM
    I could have sworn I saw ur instructions say to take the check off!!!

Anyone on att figure out how to tether???

04-21-11 04:31 PM
    dial up network needs to be on in order to tether using bluetooth. it says you phone is not there because with it off there technically no dialup modem to connect too. do you have a tethering plan on your att account if not that probably why its failling when you try.
    Nope.. No tethering plan.. I have unlimited data... I know some people are just doing anyways and hoping to not get caught... I was gonna take that chance as well :P

04-21-11 04:37 PM
    Tried that on Rogers Torch and still won't work and I have tethering on my plan.

**Edit** Just called Rogers and they said tethering is not on my plan so there's the issue. Oh well, good thing there's wifi hotspots everywhere

Last edited by luqman24; 04-21-11 at 04:53 PM.
    04-21-11 04:41 PM
    Interesting, by looking at my bluetooth settings, I have everything enabled and when I enabled Dial-Up Networking, it works flawlessly for me.

Try enabling all the bluetooth options.
    04-21-11 04:45 PM
    I have it bridged and tethered using a BB 9800 on AT&T. Speed test on Bridged browser and BB Browser both tested at around 1.2Mbps

I was trying with no avail to tether... Then I went and switched my plan to a tethering plan and voila... it worked. So this may be an AT&T issue only since AT&T introduced the isp.cingular APN recently for all the tethered traffic?

I selected AT&T (broadband) APN

Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY tethered without a wireless tethering plan?
    04-21-11 04:57 PM
    Does anyone with ATT and a tethering plan know which option to choose? There are 2. The first option (broadband) doesn't work for me. The second option does (isp.cingular). But, option 2 is soooo slow. I think it is edge. Anyone know the manual settings to input?

04-21-11 05:02 PM
    doesn't seem to work for me

04-21-11 08:25 PM
    Does anyone with ATT and a tethering plan know which option to choose? There are 2. The first option (broadband) doesn't work for me. The second option does (isp.cingular). But, option 2 is soooo slow. I think it is edge. Anyone know the manual settings to input?

Just the opposite w/ me. isp.cingular didn't work; broadband did.
    04-21-11 10:10 PM
    I have tethering on my plan. I've been using it until now on my MacBook pro, not with the official AT&T software but I configured the Bluetooth DUN settings with help from the forum. I was able to Bridge and Tether my playbook using isp.cingular

04-21-11 10:43 PM
    works for me. im on wind mobile (canadian carrier)

sucks that once your on modem mode the data on your phone doesnt work.

i want to BBM on my phone while tethering :P
    04-21-11 11:11 PM
    Hmmm, data on my phone still works when tethered. I don't think I've ever tried it on a non-3G connection, but on numerous occasions I've had my netbook and bluetooth headset hooked to my 9700 and been in a remote support session while on a phone call. Was also using BBM to talk to my co-worker on the other end so the customer wasn't in our conversation.

Might be a network thing? Were you on EDGE or 3G?
    04-22-11 12:11 AM
    Hmmm, data on my phone still works when tethered. I don't think I've ever tried it on a non-3G connection, but on numerous occasions I've had my netbook and bluetooth headset hooked to my 9700 and been in a remote support session while on a phone call. Was also using BBM to talk to my co-worker on the other end so the customer wasn't in our conversation.

Might be a network thing? Were you on EDGE or 3G?
    im on 3g hmm, it could be my network. calling and texting work though
    04-22-11 12:32 AM
    help me!!! i cant use Bbm while tethering either my signal turns to 3G with no bb logo please help me i want to be bridged and also tethered while using BBM!!!
    06-17-11 11:31 AM
    For people who can't tether and be bridge at the same time are you using data via edge or 3g? I got no problem doing both at the same time...
    06-17-11 12:05 PM
    Yep , can bridge and teither at the same time

HOWEVER!

If you bridge : Great you can acces and USE you email , BBM files ect! - BUT NO INTERNET FOR YOUR PLAYBOOK.

If you Teither: Great , your playbook has 3G internet. but wait?! now i cant send emials or use my BBM.

Its a bit pointless.

Would also like to know why the teithering allows you to do a full 300mb OS update.

But doesnt allow you into the app world for a 30KB application.
    06-22-11 02:10 AM
    help me!!! i cant use Bbm while tethering either my signal turns to 3G with no bb logo please help me i want to be bridged and also tethered while using BBM!!!
    You wont be able to ,

the handset will remain a phone AKA Texts and calls .

But any data usage , so email bbm facebook on your handset gets bypassed and all DATA goes to the playbook ,

Hence why your phone comes up as " Modem Mode "

Its a bit ****e really.

Ive got the same problem , and seeing as RIM wont be releaseing the WIFI Hotspot system to OS6 , we are stuck with it.

Unless you get a mobile hotspot thing and pay a monthly charge.

Way to make it easy for your customers RIM.

And here i was slagging off apple saying that RIM make it easier....... Bollocks do they
    06-22-11 02:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD