For those wondering why to use a browser for viewing their file system instead of a file manager...

- easier to find files
    - quicker folder browsing (loads in split second rather than 2-3 seconds)
    - view more files on one page (instead of 8(H) or 15(V) per screen, you see 23 and 72!!)
    - open some media in-browser instead of opening an additional app (jpgs - which also load on one click instead of two)
    - large numbers of files/folders won't crash/freeze browser (air won't let me scroll through a folder with 200ish+ items)

I use this for a job tracking 800+ employees and all their files, also handy for photography with 1000's of photos etc...
    01-19-12 07:17 AM
    I d/l Files and Folders and it does a great job - worth the price tag.

I did wonder tho' what the default folders are for the various apps. Seems Adobe, Print To Go, Docs To Go, etc use different folders... any guide for what is default?

Also, when I view the Playbook connected to my PC there appears to be limited folders that are accessible and some of those are duplicated under the Android folder.

I'm confused, but that's easy for me.
    03-19-12 04:21 PM
    I d/l Files and Folders and it does a great job - worth the price tag.

I did wonder tho' what the default folders are for the various apps. Seems Adobe, Print To Go, Docs To Go, etc use different folders... any guide for what is default?

Also, when I view the Playbook connected to my PC there appears to be limited folders that are accessible and some of those are duplicated under the Android folder.

I'm confused, but that's easy for me.
    Maybe I can help. Users only have access to subfolders within the Shared folder. Apps decide on their own storage structure but if the app wants you to have access, it will put its files in a subfolder of the shared folder (most likely, the documents or downloads folder).

The files in the Android sections are just symbolic links or pointers to the actual files. Symbolic links are somewhat like Windows shortcuts and don't take up very much physical space in memory. The Android files are linked in this way because the Android Player needs a structure that is familiar to an Android app. When an Android app writes a file, it "thinks" its going into the usual folder as it does on a real Android device. What really happens is that the file is actually written to PlayBook's official file structure.

One thing to remember about the Android links. If you delete one manually, you will be deleting the real file in your regular documents folder. So obviously, you should avoid deleting the entire Android folder because that would delete a lot of stuff that you want to keep.
    jafobabe likes this.
    03-19-12 04:38 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD