Hi guys, just wanted to share with you my experience with the technical support.

When i woke up two days ago, i have noticed that the little piece of plastic next to the speakers was falling off.

When i talked to the rep, it seems that it is not the first time that someone call them about that. When i asked if i can get an exchange from the store, they told me that it is impossible after 14 days... What is the solution? Send it back to RIM and wait 2 to 3 weeks to get it back!!!!!! I really don't understand how a professional company, selling professional devices can have so bad process. I use it for professional reason, so now i am stuck, i have to take my Ipad back, and i don't know if i will use the playbook again, i am really disappointed how bad was the customer service, without any answer to questions, and without solution to problems. I really love the PB but the service behind is POOR.

If RIM read that message. Hardware is important but if you want fidelity and loyalty you need to give a good customer service. I don't need polite people over the phone, i prefer to have efficient people with solutions to problems.

If someone has ever had that kind of problem with the PB, please share, i am very interested to hear about your experience!

Thank you for reading my experience and have a great week end !
    06-05-11 12:34 AM
    Mine went back for a repair due to two dead pixels and they offered an "Advanced Exchange" program where they hold the value of a playbook on your credit card and send you out a loaner. That is what I am using this very second to type this. They assured me that I would receive MY playbook back and not a refurb. I don't think apple does that do they?

Their phone support was absolutely horrible, I do agree with that.
    06-05-11 12:56 AM
    I must say this is where Apple really stands out. I went into the Apple store (yes they have a store, not just phone support!) with a cracked screen on an iPad 1 and they gave me a new one! FREE. This was last week.

This is not the first time we've had great service, in fact April last year my wife dropped her iTouch into the bath, again they replaced it FREE.

It makes sense to really look after your customers, they buy Apps, music, movies, etc etc. If RIM had a platform where music, movies, apps etc can be bought just like on the iPad perhaps service would be more important.
    06-05-11 01:44 AM
    I must say this is where Apple really stands out. I went into the Apple store (yes they have a store, not just phone support!) with a cracked screen on an iPad 1 and they gave me a new one! FREE. This was last week.

This is not the first time we've had great service, in fact April last year my wife dropped her iTouch into the bath, again they replaced it FREE.

It makes sense to really look after your customers, they buy Apps, music, movies, etc etc. If RIM had a platform where music, movies, apps etc can be bought just like on the iPad perhaps service would be more important.
    So Apple replaces devices broken by clumsy customers as well?? I find that hard to believe. If true its time to sell Apple shares, because they will start making huge losses.
    And final question, what was your wife doing with the iphone in the bath?? I have heard of people using their phone on the "Throne" but bath?? Seriously...and Apple still replaced it...really would be a magical company then.
    06-05-11 02:16 AM
    So Apple replaces devices broken by clumsy customers as well?? I find that hard to believe. If true its time to sell Apple shares, because they will start making huge losses, and Apple still replaced it...really would be a magical company then.
    he's right, my friend sat on his iphone and they said 'as a courtesy gesture we'll replace the screen free of charge just once' - i was with him at the apple store, apple is noted for their customer service.

its completely foolish to say "its time to be selling apple shares" how you think apple is so popular? they take care of their customers, sure they take a hit on a replacement piece but in reality it costs pennies on the dollar for a piece of plastic/glass/plexiglass. not only that, by taking care of the customer they create brand loyalty, so chances are the next laptop/mp3 player/tablet etc that comes out the individual will probably buy an apple product, so by them forking out some coin, they make it right back up (and then some) when you purchase another product from them.

and last but not least the amount of people that actually break something accidently and who haven't bought extended warranties (apple care) its probably such an insignificant number.

I'd like to see how RIM's customer service is, not a lot of companies are as lenient as apple is, but in turn aren't as profitable (Revenue - expenses) as apple is, or have the same financial growth. nothing like a little opportunity cost to get your business #1 in a given market segment.
    Last edited by Spinal; 06-05-11 at 02:53 AM.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-05-11 02:50 AM
    They never asked how the devices were damaged.

The iPad 1 screen broke whilst on a plane, no damage to the out side just noticed the hairline crack right across the screen. Originally they said it would cost 'somthing' but once at the Genius Bar they replaced it for free.

The iTouch was working after the dip but the Wi-Fi wouldn't. They never asked how it happened, but again they replaced it.

They also replaced an Apple TV v2 for me also, after a firmware update it just stopped at the boot screen.

Every company has its issues but its how you handle the issue which creates future business.
    06-05-11 03:22 AM
    he's right, my friend sat on his iphone and they said 'as a courtesy gesture we'll replace the screen free of charge just once' - i was with him at the apple store, apple is noted for their customer service.

its completely foolish to say "its time to be selling apple shares" how you think apple is so popular? they take care of their customers, sure they take a hit on a replacement piece but in reality it costs pennies on the dollar for a piece of plastic/glass/plexiglass. not only that, by taking care of the customer they create brand loyalty, so chances are the next laptop/mp3 player/tablet etc that comes out the individual will probably buy an apple product, so by them forking out some coin, they make it right back up (and then some) when you purchase another product from them.

and last but not least the amount of people that actually break something accidently and who haven't bought extended warranties (apple care) its probably such an insignificant number.

I'd like to see how RIM's customer service is, not a lot of companies are as lenient as apple is, but in turn aren't as profitable (Revenue - expenses) as apple is, or have the same financial growth. nothing like a little opportunity cost to get your business #1 in a given market segment.
    I'm not saying anything against apple here or there stock.
    But in the cases which you describe, apple would be well within their rights not to replace and you can't hold it against them or any other company. That Apple does replace in certain cases is good, but that doesn't automatically mean that other companies should start replacing devices damaged by their customers foolishness.
    And I have counter examples of RIM's good customer care. They replaced my Storm and gave me a Bold 9700. And this when there was no physical damage to the Storm. Only problems was that the storm was a POS.
    So these kind of stories are always there for each company. And for each of these there will be countless unhappy customers, Apple included.
    06-05-11 03:58 AM
    I'm not saying anything against apple here or there stock.
    But in the cases which you describe, apple would be well within their rights not to replace and you can't hold it against them or any other company. That Apple does replace in certain cases is good, but that doesn't automatically mean that other companies should start replacing devices damaged by their customers foolishness.
    And I have counter examples of RIM's good customer care. They replaced my Storm and gave me a Bold 9700. And this when there was no physical damage to the Storm. Only problems was that the storm was a POS.
    So these kind of stories are always there for each company. And for each of these there will be countless unhappy customers, Apple included.
    that probably wasnt RIM though, that was your carrier. They make those calls

And if you think flat out replacing the product is going to make them lose money. You replace my iphone free and that is going to make me promote apple more and possibly lead to more future sales. The opposite is true with the OP. He will be telling others NOT to buy RIM stuff probably.
    06-05-11 04:34 AM
    that probably wasnt RIM though, that was your carrier. They make those calls

And if you think flat out replacing the product is going to make them lose money. You replace my iphone free and that is going to make me promote apple more and possibly lead to more future sales. The opposite is true with the OP. He will be telling others NOT to buy RIM stuff probably.
    Matt,
    The return was from RIM. I never buy carrier locked phones.
    I e-mailed the India distributor and RIM's India CEO.
    Next I got a mail from RIM telling me to go and get my Bold 9700 replacement from the distributor.
    I had basically asked them to upgrade my phone or refund my money as the Storm had major issues (as everyone knows).
    They took the first option.
    Here is the email from their India distributor Redington:
    dheer
    <[email protected]>
    To:*[email protected]
    Cc:*Sunitha <[email protected]>, Sivakumar <[email protected]>, Swati <[email protected]>
    Date:*September 10, 2010, 7:04 AM
    Dear Sir,
    * This is regarding your Black berry handset.We are replacing Your handset with 9700 Model.
    **Requested to submit*your old Mobile(9530 xcvr,battery) and pls collect 9700 xcvr with battery from Okhla service centre.
    Regards,
    Dheer
    06-05-11 12:36 PM
    @Matt,
    To your second point, that's exactly my point. There are people who have had good and bad experiences with both Apple and BB.
    The OP had a bad experience with RIM, while I had a good experience to the extent they upgraded my 8 month old storm with no damage to a Bold just because I created a justified fuss regarding the Storm.
    My entire point is that individual experiences tend to even out in the long run.
    You just can't take one example and make a general rule about a company.
    06-05-11 12:43 PM
    RIM offers an Advance Exchange program for the PlayBook, as the second post says.
    06-05-11 09:58 PM
    That issue is neglect on your part and not Rims fault. I wouldn't replace if I were Rim.
    06-05-11 10:21 PM
    Poor build quality, especially in a device that is designed to be handled A LOT is hardly neglect on the behalf of the user. This is why you don't own RIM.

That issue is neglect on your part and not Rims fault. I wouldn't replace if I were Rim.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-06-11 07:03 AM
    What's your basis for suggesting neglect on the OP's part? I would love to hear your explanation.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-06-11 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD