Hi,

I promise this is not an attempt at being 'funny' or trolling.

What exactly is the OFFICIAL status of the PlayBook at the moment? (A link to a Blackberry webpage or announcement would be good) Is it officially EOL, or are we just in limbo. There seems to be so much conflicting information around. The last 'official' thing I read was Thor saying that though BB10 was not coming, they would continue to support it, but gave no details as to what 'support' actually meant. Has there been a formal anouncement since that it is now no longer supported, or is it just hearsay due to the lack of any proper responses from BB?? The recent leak of an upgrade (allbeit a small one) to the OS has further confused me...
    09-09-13 07:42 AM
    Hi,

What exactly is the OFFICIAL status of the PlayBook at the moment? (A link to a Blackberry webpage or announcement would be good) Is it officially EOL, or are we just in limbo. There seems to be so much conflicting information around. The last 'official' thing I read was Thor saying that though BB10 was not coming, they would continue to support it, but gave no details as to what 'support' actually meant. Has there been a formal anouncement since that it is now no longer supported, or is it just hearsay due to the lack of any proper responses from BB?? The recent leak of an upgrade (allbeit a small one) to the OS has further confused me...
    That's exactly it. This company has a communication skill of a sullen teenager.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 07:54 AM
    For all intents and purposes, the PB is basically an obsolete device. I think we were told (Forget the chap from BB that noted this) we could see some minor OS updates (maybe just to keep it compatible with infrastructure changes), but I very much doubt there will be a successor, and we were told there will not be any "major" OS updates.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    09-09-13 08:03 AM
    I believe it's "officially in limbo". They have publicly stated that support will remain in place, and the last time I checked, they were still selling to corporate clients. However, all indications point to no more major features being added. In light of the recent leak, I'm guessing they have a small team working on bug fixes to the OS to satisfy corporate customers.

So it's not exactly EOL...just in a deep coma with a breathing tube and ventilator.
    ChrisMay and FF22 like this.
    09-09-13 08:05 AM
    Actually, in all fairness, BBRY is struggling to keep its head above water. I'm sure the PB is not one of their priorities or keeping the PB website current. I was surprised at the recent PB OS leak, which means they are working on some OS2 updates. I guess they haven't laid off all of their tablet resources.
    FF22 and sad_old_man like this.
    09-09-13 08:12 AM
    I believe it's "officially in limbo". They have publicly stated that support will remain in place, and the last time I checked, they were still selling to corporate clients. However, all indications point to no more major features being added. In light of the recent leak, I'm guessing they have a small team working on bug fixes to the OS to satisfy corporate customers.

So it's not exactly EOL...just in a deep coma with a breathing tube and ventilator.
    Thanks. This was the sort of answer I was looking for, and pretty much what I thought.
    Even so, a formal/official anouncement from BB would be nice, eh?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-09-13 08:22 AM
    Actually, in all fairness, BBRY is struggling to keep its head above water. I'm sure the PB is not one of their priorities or keeping the PB website current. I was surprised at the recent PB OS leak, which means they are working on some OS2 updates. I guess they haven't laid off all of their tablet resources.
    I don't think many people (or at least, many reasonable people) expect BB to make it a priority. Just want some solid information about where they are going with it, and what we can expect. (Yes, I know it is fairly obvious, but an official line would be good).
    cmdr_dan and sad_old_man like this.
    09-09-13 08:25 AM
    I don't think many people (or at least, many reasonable people) expect BB to make it a priority. Just want some solid information about where they are going with it, and what we can expect. (Yes, I know it is fairly obvious, but an official line would be good).
    Hehe. Well, we all know how their "official" communiques have gone. I think they are better off incognito.
    FF22 and sad_old_man like this.
    09-09-13 08:57 AM
    Plus �a change, plus c’est la m�me chose.
    09-09-13 10:53 AM
    Hi,

When the red lights on you have received some trivial message.
    When the green lights on you can switch on and retrieve your trivial message.
    When no light is on its dark and you should be in bed.

Hope this helps?
    09-09-13 10:58 AM
    Hehe. Well, we all know how their "official" communiques have gone. I think they are better off incognito.
    You've hit on a wonderful idea! They should change the name of the town from Waterloo to Cognito! That way they can truthfully say that RIM Is inCognito!
    FF22 likes this.
    09-10-13 12:20 AM
    You've hit on a wonderful idea! They should change the name of the town from Waterloo to Cognito! That way they can truthfully say that RIM Is inCognito!
    Better yet, they could move their headquarters to Truth or Consequences, NM!!!!
    cmdr_dan likes this.
    09-10-13 12:55 AM
    Better yet, they could move their headquarters to Truth or Consequences, NM!!!!
    But our esteemed neighbors to the North wouldn't like RIM to leave Canada. Even if that weren't true, then we would have to insist on the town being renamed to Consequences as RIM can't handle the truth right now.....

Here is where someone more skilled than me inserts a clip from "A Few Good Men"......
    09-10-13 01:12 AM
    But our esteemed neighbors to the North wouldn't like RIM to leave Canada. Even if that weren't true, then we would have to insist on the town being renamed to Consequences as RIM can't handle the truth right now.....

Here is where someone more skilled than me inserts a clip from "A Few Good Men"......
    Strangely people them from up North you know!
    09-10-13 08:40 AM
    Note that new apps continue to be released for the PlayBook.

As new apps are submitted for BB10, they are evaluated to check their ability to run on the PlayBook as well, and if they work, they go in that app store as well.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    09-10-13 08:44 AM