I don't say this as a basher. I am looking at my 64 GB PlayBook, which I quite like and use every day. I'm fully supportive of RIM using PlayBook as a platform for BB10 instead of trying to glean out more service from the tired, glitchy old BlackBerry OS. It's easier to use, easier to develop on, more modern and doesn't have the same hangups like needing to reboot every time you install an app, hourglassing, freezing etc.

But if I take my owner's hat off and put my business hat on, what reason does RIM have to keep the PlayBook alive from a business sense?

- At best, they've sold 1.5 million to 2.0 million by now. That's better than a lot of bashers think, but not only behind the iPad, but also the Kindle Fire, the Nook Tablet, the Galaxy Tab and the Nexus (allegedly).

- The hardware is not cheap, especially at their production scale for it. If writedowns are to be believed, they spent a lot more on PlayBook production than they've recouped. Worse, there's a hardware spec war and price war looming, which will drive prices down further.

- They don't have an ecosystem to offset their hardware costs like Amazon and Apple do.

Right now, the PlayBook is useful to RIM. Work they do for PlayBook is work they do for BlackBerry 10. Apps that get made for PlayBook help ensure that BlackBerry 10 launches with tens of thousands of apps instead of thousands. They have 1.5 to 2 million people to test features and give feedback. They can offset at least some of their dev costs.

But once BlackBerry 10 is out and on phones, I don't believe PlayBook will last much longer. It stops being 'useful' to RIM and the business case doesn't justify continuing it. I'm even skeptical that BlackBerry 10 will come to PlayBook despite what they've said.

Look at how little attention RIM gave the PlayBook LTE. Anyone seen a commercial? Anyone seen any marketing beyond a press release from RIM for it? Anyone seen any carrier promotion? Even a lot of the tech pubs don't know a new PlayBook is out. To me, that's telling.

I say this as someone who quite likes PlayBook. I saw the potential when it was released and I think it's morphed into a decent device with updates. But I would be very surprised if it keeps evolving once the phones are out. Maybe a few more software updates, but I am skeptical we'll see a 10" PlayBook, or quad core PlayBook or retina screen style PlayBook etc. I don't think the business case exists and Thorsten seems much more focused on that than Mike or Jim were.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 10-24-12 at 10:13 AM.
    10-24-12 09:57 AM
    New hardware depends on the sucess of BB10 I suppose.
    10-24-12 10:11 AM
    The hardware we have will be alive... Provided we keep on charging it...

On the "retina" thing... BB10 devices already have better screens.
    10-24-12 10:12 AM
    If you look at the specs of the iPad Mini vs. Playbook your question will be answered.

The fact that RIM has never truly "sold" Playbooks will be of a great benefit to them come the time BB10 hits Playbook. No ones heard of a Playbook really. Consumers have never given it real thought. BB10 can change that. Also by summer 2013 we'll have a 10" "blackforest" which will also fill out the "hardware" ecosystem alongside the Playbooks. Expect a new model when BB10 releases for Playbook
    10-24-12 10:18 AM
    I know a few BB10 developers and they've told me that many of them use the PlayBook on a daily basis in their testing... it has been in the development cycle and is in the test suites from day one. It doesn't cost RIM much to continue support for it which will be a very powerful message when it comes time to do a refresh - at the current price point with BB10 software, the thing will fly off the shelves. We've all seen the rumours about a 10" device... I'm not sure I'd want one as its too big IMHO for anything beyond watching streaming media or the web on. Certainly too big for day to day communications and ebooks. Of course when the BB10 phones come out, the requirement for day to day communications will go way down as most people won't carry both a 4" phone and a 7/8/10" tablet. I suspect I'll continue to use the PlayBook for bedside reading/emails and plugging into my TV for Media (hopefully with DLNA in BB10) but the BB10 phone is what I'll take to the office. I'm hoping they fix the office suite so I can drop the Thinkpad all together (in which case I'd keep bringing the PlayBook and drop the Thinkpad - I might even consider upgrading to a 10' then).
    10-24-12 10:19 AM
    In all honesty, I think it's a bit silly to claim "no one has heard of PlayBook".
    10-24-12 10:20 AM

On the "retina" thing... BB10 devices already have better screens.
    Can anyone ever have better displays in the minds of most if they are not labled "retina"? RIM needs to do better with marketing.
    10-24-12 10:20 AM
    No I don't. Rim's experiment into the tablet market has had very little success.
    chenyuhao likes this.
    10-24-12 10:22 AM

RIM needs to do better with marketing.
    Last quarter RIM released their 4G models (in Canada). Great opportunity to do marketing.
    It has died on the vine. Perhaps things will change in Q1 with the BB 10 phones, but marketing still continues to be a challenge.
    10-24-12 10:25 AM
    As a retail product:
    I don't think the Playbook will survive.

As a pet project for RIM:
    I hope the Playbook will survive.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-24-12 10:26 AM
    Considering it's specs are on par and even better than the new ipad mini....I don't see why not.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-24-12 10:34 AM
    There is one major difference - 80 million iPads sold, and MAYBE 2 million PlayBooks..
    Specs don't really matter. Sales do.
    madman0141 and daglesj like this.
    10-24-12 10:36 AM
    There is one major difference - 80 100 million iPads sold, and MAYBE 2 million PlayBooks..
    Specs don't really matter. Sales do.
    Fixed that for you.
    10-24-12 10:39 AM
    Specs don't really matter. Sales doMarketing does.
    Fixed that for you.
    10-24-12 10:42 AM
    No, sales are what matters.
    mikeo007 and peter9477 like this.
    10-24-12 10:43 AM
    if bb10 comes to the pb with the release of the bb10 platform (or shortly after) then maybe!

i reckon it depends on the success of the bb10 platform.. if its a winner with consumers then they will also want to get a bb10 tablet...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-24-12 10:44 AM
    In all honesty, I think it's a bit silly to claim "no one has heard of PlayBook".

haha NO one has heard of Playbook we are the 9% There are 7+ billion people on this earth. Of the 9% a good margin STILL haven't heard of the Playbook
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    10-24-12 11:00 AM
    You seriously believe most of the tablet buying market hasn't heard of PlayBook?

We'll have to agree to disagree on that! I think most have ... but the impression is not the same as many people here.
    10-24-12 11:01 AM
    OP, I think your assessment is excellent. Couldn't have put the question better myself.

My own consideration tells me that RIM should stay in the tablet game. The Playbook was an excellent product hobbled by a horrid, rushed launch. It's gained its own following and provided a valuable platform from which BB10 is being developed.

What I think could happen is that with a successful BB10 launch next quarter, RIM is going to get a renewed look from many potential customers. With a relaunch of their smartphones (and potentially a huge comeback story), it would serve them well to relaunch the Playbook as soon as practicable with refreshed hardware and BB10.
    esk369, Stewartj1 and aha like this.
    10-24-12 11:02 AM
    Last quarter RIM released their 4G models (in Canada). Great opportunity to do marketing.
    It has died on the vine. Perhaps things will change in Q1 with the BB 10 phones, but marketing still continues to be a challenge.
    I don't think RIM had huge expectations for the LTE Playbook. I think it was launched more for enterprise/verticals and for the sake of getting real-world LTE experience than for the sake of retail success.
    10-24-12 11:04 AM
    with their current hardware refresh rate, not sure we will have a PB 2 to play with.....
    10-24-12 11:05 AM
    Can RIM relaunch it or is the brand too tainted? Maybe Frank is worth his marketing salt and can show us he can.

IMO, PlayBook is different than Storm. PlayBook showed potential but was hobbled out of the gate by misfires. It's since "grown up" a lot. Storm was a piece of crap, through and through, in my opinion. I think most reviewer's recognized the difference too.
    10-24-12 11:06 AM
    The PlayBook will be alive in the summer of 2013 but it will be a different world where RIM is putting most of their efforts behind BB10 and continuing to market to third world nations. I feel we have two more upgrades before RIM let's the current PlayBook go. They will say something like we will no longer be making PlayBook but will continue to fully support it. Thats when it will be dead.
    10-24-12 11:07 AM
    only bb10 can fight ios! android can't through my eyes. i wish there are many apps on the bb10 that's enough!
    10-24-12 11:18 AM
    The Playbook and future iterations are here to stay, it is part of RIM's mobile computing platform plan...end of story. To say they won't have some form of tablet is daft...the PB will still be supported.
    10-24-12 11:20 AM
115 123 ...