Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By F2
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Home screen shortcuts for files and/or file folders (docs, pdfs, Ebooks, etc.)

Hey Y'all.
    I just bought the playbook and I'm still getting to know her. My interest began looking for an e-reader, primarily for academic articles and e-textbooks, but then I saw that for pretty much the same price I could get a playbook. I already own a curve9360, so perfect. So, this playbook is a fantastic piece of technology, but oddly, I can't seem to find a way to create a home screen bookmark or shortcut of any kind for simple access to files and articles I'm working with. Ideally, I want personalized file folders with articles of varying subjects. I seem to be alone on this one too, since after hours of looking for the topic on bbpb forums, the only home screen shortcuts being discussed are webpage links. Please, tell me there's a way to put a simple file folder on the home screen!

Thank you in advance ... I hope
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

The BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 is not Microsoft Windows. You cannot create desktop short-cuts to files and articles. As far as the web browser and bookmarks you can create bookmarks either on the home screen or within the web browser application but you cannot otherwise organize or manage them without some gymnastics via home screen folders. Hopefully, BlackBerry OS 10 resolves this long-standing deficiency. To create a folder on the home screen press on one of the icons and hold your finger on the icon until all the icons begin shivering...then release the shaking icon and touch another icon (bookmark) that you want associated with the one of the other shivering icons (bookmark) and slide that icon to the other icon until they blend into one - this is a new folder containing both bookmarks. The same procedure works with applications.
    CrackBerry Genius

Maybe the best that you can do is install a file browser like Ghost Commander (free app in app world) or Files and Folders (paid app in app woirld) which will allow you to designate favorite folders within the app for fairly easy access to these folders.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I use the file and folders app (great file management app). I have it as one of the 6 apps the top banner. Has a great UI, allows you to star a folder (basically setting individual folders as favourites). Also has great support for Box, Dropbox, Google drivem sugar sync, skydrive and bridge to you blackberry. Top 10 if not in the top 5 of my most used apps. Worth every penny!

oh and PS.. Welcome to crackberry we've been expecting you... If you need any other app suggestions feel free to ask.

Cheers!
    Hater of all things APPLE.... Innovation, really? iphone = itouch with a phone, ipad = bigger itouch... give me a break!

Evaluation of awesomeness:7230, 8830 World Edition, 9800, 9860, Z10 and now Z30 plus 2 x 32g Playbooks
    Thanked by:
    James McBee (01-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Home screen shortcuts for files and/or file folders (docs, pdfs, Ebooks, etc.)

Another option is to use the free app AIR Browser. With one touch you can open the app to your important file locations. You could easily create your own folders to show in the list. Not quite what you want but as close as damn is to swearing!
    Thanked by:
    James McBee (01-17-2013) 

You can create HOMEPAGE bookmarks in the Browser that can take you to a FOLDER. You can also create booksmarks to TXT, html and jpg/png files. You canNOT create such links to doc or pdf files since the browser will launch the appropriate app.

If you type

file:

in the Browser's address bar, where you'd type a url address, it will open a Directory view of the pb.

Navigate to accounts then 1000, then shared

You will be in the main pb folder (directory) where the normal folders are found

books, bookmarks, camera, music, etc.

You can navigate through those, too. If you follow to the photos, you can point to a jpg, it will open in the browser and you can create bookmark to it.

If you have txt files, you can create bookmarks to those and they will open. I open an html file that way which serves as my homepage. So you could navigate to a pdf folder and create a bookmark. When opened, you can tap on a pdf and it will open in the pdf viewer. Doc in docs-to-go. Not really that much use for those files.
    Thanked by 2:
    graystuff (01-18-2013),  James McBee (01-17-2013) 
    graystuff likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    BB10QNX

Great comments F2
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by James McBee View Post
    With the Playbook, however, I have yet to even figure out how to view the file paths..
    Install Ghost Commander- you'll see the folder structure.
    Thanked by:
    James McBee (01-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
    Another option is to use the free app AIR Browser. With one touch you can open the app to your important file locations. You could easily create your own folders to show in the list. Not quite what you want but as close as damn is to swearing!
    I actually installed AIR Browser today, but I was hoping it would show me a "home" folder that I could send files to or create folders within. I also paid the buck for the "File Browser" app, which had me even more confused with the path to "Home" being something like [/][accounts][1000][shared]. That's when I realized I was not going to figure it out on my own...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by kozmo68 View Post
    I use the file and folders app (great file management app).
    oh and PS.. Welcome to crackberry we've been expecting you... If you need any other app suggestions feel free to ask.

Cheers!
    Thank You kozmo68! This app looks promising, and with a trial it likely is!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by James McBee View Post
    Thank You kozmo68! This app looks promising, and with a trial it likely is!
    You're welcome and enjoy. It's great app and the developer has provided an upgrade since I originally bought it. I like supporting developers who continue to improve their apps.
    Hater of all things APPLE.... Innovation, really? iphone = itouch with a phone, ipad = bigger itouch... give me a break!

Evaluation of awesomeness:7230, 8830 World Edition, 9800, 9860, Z10 and now Z30 plus 2 x 32g Playbooks