Take a look at some of the TAT videos on their YouTube channel, and I'm sure some of it is being baked into the Tablet OS and the QNX phone OS. People need to remember that things take time, and it's not that easy to integrate 150+ people around the world into RIM. Also, the native SDK is based on the Momentics tool kit that QNX has developed, and so it's not a matter of just integrating one set of tools, but two different set of tools from two different companies.

Hopefully RIM will "wow" us at DevCon. They surely did last year round....(although I doubt they are expecting to sit on tons of PB inventories at this time)
    I hope NONE of that goes into actual products.

There is a reason why Google hired TAT to design the original Android UI and Google not picking any of those concept video designs. They are like "concept cars" that you see in car shows that would never get to be a production model. As a "concept car", the Pontiac Aztek was widely liked. As a "production car", it was universally penned as the ugliest car on earth.
    09-22-11 11:36 PM
    While I hope some of you folks are correct, I can see this thread is like where you sit down 10 people and the first one starts reciting a story to be STOPPED and then next one picks it up, adding their own twists and turns and characters and is in turn STOPPED and number 3 adds and convolutes and number 4, etc keep weaving new plots and characters. Fiction by the group!

Actually, it is most like the revelations that TAT made those many months ago - vapor.
    xandermac likes this.
    09-23-11 12:02 AM
    RIM demo'ed the Playbook live in October 2010 at Adobe event --- with all the UI's already locked up.
    RIM was working with TAT on the PlayBook OS long before RIM bought them.
    09-23-11 12:07 AM
    RIM was working with TAT on the PlayBook OS long before RIM bought them.
    No, the Playbook UI is designed by Teknision.

Teknision: The designers behind the BlackBerry PlayBook user experience | CrackBerry.com
    xandermac likes this.
    09-23-11 01:21 AM
    While I hope some of you folks are correct, I can see this thread is like where you sit down 10 people and the first one starts reciting a story to be STOPPED and then next one picks it up, adding their own twists and turns and characters and is in turn STOPPED and number 3 adds and convolutes and number 4, etc keep weaving new plots and characters. Fiction by the group!

Actually, it is most like the revelations that TAT made those many months ago - vapor.
    Let me set the record straight.

QNX has been selling their embedded os to car makers for digital dashboard and center console for many years now. All the car makers like to skin their dashboards but car makers don't have the silicon valley expertise to make UI widgets. So QNX created a Flash Lite GUI solution where car makers can hire designers who just have to know Adobe Flash.

This works well enough for QNX that QNX decided to hire Teknision, an Adobe Flash shop, to design a number of UI's for some of the QNX concept demos (like the home automation demo and medical device demo).

Interface Prototyping | Teknision Inc.

RIM was designing the Playbook before they bought QNX. All QNX offered was this Flash Lite GUI solution, so RIM hired Teknision to design the Playbook UI.

Flash GUI works super fine when the needle on the car's dashboard is the only thing you need to do hardware acceleration. However for something more complex, you should do it natively in c/c++ --- that's why RIM bought TAT.

TAT has stated that they powered 15% of the cell phone's UI in the whole world --- that's hundreds of millions of cell phones. How many resembles those youtube videos? Zero. Those are concept demos. Nothing to do with actual products.
    Disparishun likes this.
    09-23-11 02:00 AM
    When do you all know when the QNX system will be released! ANXIOUS!
    09-23-11 03:16 AM
    Within a year, guaranteed! Haha
    09-23-11 11:36 AM
    I have zero expectations for TAT. They have been a complete disappointment so far. All hype and no substance. 1 useless crapboard app in a year. Pathetic. RIM threw money away on those people.
    we dont know how busy TAT has been on OS2, might suprise us all when it comes out
    09-23-11 10:19 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD