I have finally decided that I would like Backup via Desktop Manager to work. Now whether I get that wish will depend on whether it works or not.

So I've manually backed up all of my files and folders. In total that is:

2,806 files in 130 folders taking up 20.8gigs of space. I apparently have 119 apps. 784 music files, 52 videos, 127 docs, 703 pictures.

I will lose some older apps that have changed in price from free or raised their price where I'm not interested in re-purchasing.

I've manually gone to the Options screen and copied the various settings for wifi and id, and screen, sounds, password.

I copied the Bridge Browser bookmarks manually. Checked some other apps where there are settings I might want to restore.

I will lose all settings since my backup last worked in June.

Restore is going to take excruciatingly long to copy back my data and then restore the various apps

Wish me luck!
    12-04-11 01:47 PM
    I have finally decided that I would like Backup via Desktop Manager to work. Now whether I get that wish will depend on whether it works or not.

So I've manually backed up all of my files and folders. In total that is:

2,806 files in 130 folders taking up 20.8gigs of space. I apparently have 119 apps. 784 music files, 52 videos, 127 docs, 703 pictures.

I will lose some older apps that have changed in price from free or raised their price where I'm not interested in re-purchasing.

I've manually gone to the Options screen and copied the various settings for wifi and id, and screen, sounds, password.

I copied the Bridge Browser bookmarks manually. Checked some other apps where there are settings I might want to restore.

I will lose all settings since my backup last worked in June.

Restore is going to take excruciatingly long to copy back my data and then restore the various apps

Wish me luck!
    Good luck and lots of patience.
    12-04-11 01:52 PM
    I'm crossing my fingers it will work.
    12-04-11 01:59 PM
    I almost ran out of patience scrolling through the AGREEMENT. I had forgotten about that. Now the mandatory UPDATE of OS. Then I get to do it all over again if I do the DEBRICK. Process. Maybe I will see if Backup works after this wipe.

Fortunately, I had remembered to copy my static wifi stuff, default gateway, primary/second dns, etc. But I have to get the os update out of the way before I can see if wifi sharing shortcuts still work.

Update is slow.... 32 of 87mbs...

Be back.....
    12-04-11 02:06 PM
    Wow good luck with that.
    12-04-11 02:19 PM
    Ah, HA. The camera app opens but I did not shoot anything. Video camera also shows up but did not check on the pause/skip bug.

BUT... backing up now - that works. I'm using, I believe, the Beta Desktop manager. Done.

Now to restore some apps and then do backups as those are added .... until I break backup again!!!
    12-04-11 02:33 PM
    Still crossed.
    12-04-11 02:37 PM
    Video pause bug seems fixed. I will try some more.

Downloading an app now - biggie too, it is slow going. Too bad you can't just flag multiple apps and leave it be for a few hours!!!
    12-04-11 02:39 PM
    Video pause bug seems fixed. I will try some more.

Downloading an app now - biggie too, it is slow going. Too bad you can't just flag multiple apps and leave it be for a few hours!!!
    LOL... this is like one of those Saturday morning TV serials... you keep leaving us on a cliff-hanger!!!

Seriously, good luck with that and let us know the outcome. I may follow you along that "nuclear option" path sooner rather than later... less incentive for me as my camera works atm, it's just Backup that I can't do.
    12-04-11 03:12 PM
    So far (fanboy alert), all is going well!

I don't have an N capable router so issue 1 crossed off.

But let me tell you - restoring apps is a tedious pain in the neck. Open Appworld. Tap UNINSTALLED. Find app, REinstall. Oh, tap UNinstalled again find another app, tap install, ad infinitum. That corner (Uninstalled) of the screen will probably get worn out (or highly polished like the nose of Abe Lincoln at City College of NY where folks have been touching it for luck for many decades - I think it was Lincoln!)

I did the initial backup of the newly wiped and restored pb. Went well.

I installed about 6 or 7 apps and just did another backup of only apps. Went well.

I will install another 6-10 and do repeated backups. (hmm, if only I could easily find which apps were in which install....)

I have not even begun data restoration.

More cliffhangers later (you should have been on yesterday's hike):
    12-04-11 04:17 PM
    DeadSpace (labeled ON Sale....) is taking forever. Tetris took its sweet time. I have not tackled NeedForSpeed.

Restored my simpler folders. But Music, Video and Photos are large folders - gigs of data.
    12-04-11 05:22 PM
    Good stuff GrandPa! You have been talking about doing a wipe for the longest while. Glad it went well. A wipe is imminent for my PlayBook as well... and like you a few weeks ago: I don't know when
    12-04-11 06:18 PM
    So far (fanboy alert), all is going well!

I don't have an N capable router so issue 1 crossed off.

But let me tell you - restoring apps is a tedious pain in the neck. Open Appworld. Tap UNINSTALLED. Find app, REinstall. Oh, tap UNinstalled again find another app, tap install, ad infinitum. That corner (Uninstalled) of the screen will probably get worn out (or highly polished like the nose of Abe Lincoln at City College of NY where folks have been touching it for luck for many decades - I think it was Lincoln!)

I did the initial backup of the newly wiped and restored pb. Went well.

I installed about 6 or 7 apps and just did another backup of only apps. Went well.

I will install another 6-10 and do repeated backups. (hmm, if only I could easily find which apps were in which install....)

I have not even begun data restoration.

More cliffhangers later (you should have been on yesterday's hike):
    Nice pic. So this is your second uphill climb in 2 days. Climbing Mt. PlayBook could be much tougher. Good luck!
    12-04-11 06:24 PM
    Good luck, hope all goes well.
    12-04-11 06:25 PM
    I have popcorn popped and eyes glued to the screen. Oh I hope there isn't going to be a cliff hanger. Will F2 be able to restore everything to his unruly PB or will the PB fight back.

Tune in tomorrow. Same F2 channel, same F2 place.
    bounce007 likes this.
    12-04-11 06:35 PM
    Good stuff GrandPa! You have been talking about doing a wipe for the longest while. Glad it went well. A wipe is imminent for my PlayBook as well... and like you a few weeks ago: I don't know when
    Eh, sonny, I can't quite hear yah (you have to provide the right quaver in the voice).

I've now done 4 sequential backups, each adding a few more apps to those backups.

Restoring data is the pain. I keep getting intercept errors if I try "byting" off more than something can chew. So, trying to copy all of my photo albums (well, really folders) - 2 copies, and then error, "some files could not be etc" and I had to figure out which folders were partial. Same for videos. So in some cases, it means copying one file or folder at a time. Then coming back. Still have about 30 apps to restore but some of those may remain UNinstalled and I will see if I really miss them.

Have no even started on the music yet - videos going slowly.
    12-04-11 07:00 PM
    Nice pic. So this is your second uphill climb in 2 days. Climbing Mt. PlayBook could be much tougher. Good luck!
    Thanks.

While the pictured climb took about 3 hours for 2,300 feet of gain and about 2 hours back down, Mt Playbook is taking longer and is really uphill. It was a nice day for "strolling" in the snow.

While a 64gig unit might be nice, restoration of that much data would be a lifetime endeavor.

I should add, that I pretty much had all of my pb data already on my computer but it did need some polishing - some newer photos, a doc or two, that type of stuff. So the restoration is the bear.
    12-04-11 07:06 PM
    Eh, sonny, I can't quite hear yah (you have to provide the right quaver in the voice).

I've now done 4 sequential backups, each adding a few more apps to those backups.

Restoring data is the pain. I keep getting intercept errors if I try "byting" off more than something can chew. So, trying to copy all of my photo albums (well, really folders) - 2 copies, and then error, "some files could not be etc" and I had to figure out which folders were partial. Same for videos. So in some cases, it means copying one file or folder at a time. Then coming back. Still have about 30 apps to restore but some of those may remain UNinstalled and I will see if I really miss them.

Have no even started on the music yet - videos going slowly.
    Man, this is a task. You must have a 32 or 64GB PlayBook? Good luck though!
    12-05-11 05:49 AM
    Man, this is a task. You must have a 32 or 64GB PlayBook? Good luck though!
    Finished DATA restoration around 11pm last night. Some videos were just balky and I had to try over and over. Not sure why. And similarly, I dragged/dropped series of music folders over but found for some reason, 6 might copy over but 3 would just not. So, drag/drop those. Do the next set of 10, again 5 would work, 5, not. No ideas why, they were just not on the pb after the copy completed. Finally, got them over (gramps could not survive without his Brahms Clarinet Quintet!).

The videos were interesting - for some reason, they appeared to go, but in the pb Video App, you can tell something is wrong since instead of some thumbnail from the video, you'd get a "film strip" icon. That appears to indicate something is wrong with the full file.

Actually, doing another Custom backup right now. Seems to still be working. I still have not reinstalled all of my original apps.
    12-05-11 09:41 AM
    Finished DATA restoration around 11pm last night. Some videos were just balky and I had to try over and over. Not sure why. And similarly, I dragged/dropped series of music folders over but found for some reason, 6 might copy over but 3 would just not. So, drag/drop those. Do the next set of 10, again 5 would work, 5, not. No ideas why, they were just not on the pb after the copy completed. Finally, got them over (gramps could not survive without his Brahms Clarinet Quintet!).

The videos were interesting - for some reason, they appeared to go, but in the pb Video App, you can tell something is wrong since instead of some thumbnail from the video, you'd get a "film strip" icon. That appears to indicate something is wrong with the full file.

Actually, doing another Custom backup right now. Seems to still be working. I still have not reinstalled all of my original apps.
    Lol @ gramps could not survive without his Brahms Clarinet Quintet!

A film strip icon for the videos? Yeah... never seen that before.

So I usually password lock my PlayBook and today I was setting a password and unknowingly I made an error in setting the password and when I went to the next field where it says "Confirm Password", it seems as if I made the same error again! So I thought I entered one thing, not knowing I made a mistake. Eventually my PlayBook locked after 2 minutes and I tried to type in the password... "Incorrect Password"

So I tried again... "Incorrect Password". This continued after a few more attempts and then it hit me: I MADE AN ERROR SETTING MY PASSWORD and I could not figure out what the error was. Furious and frustrated I maxed out my attempts and a security wipe was forced.... so I wiped my PB today and reinstalled the OS.

It was moving a little snappier but WiFi kept dropping
    I connected to Desktop Manager and it told me to update to the latest software (WHICH I JUST DID SINCE I WIPED MY PB). I updated to the latest version (AGAIN!) and my PB restarted.

No more WiFi Problems and I managed to restore some apps via a back up I did on the 25th of last month.

*whew* lengthy I know...

My PB is noticeably more fluid though and I am, for the most part, happy I wiped it.
    12-05-11 01:43 PM

<snip>

Furious and frustrated I maxed out my attempts and a security wipe was forced.... so I wiped my PB today and reinstalled the OS.

It was moving a little snappier but WiFi kept dropping
    I connected to Desktop Manager and it told me to update to the latest software (WHICH I JUST DID SINCE I WIPED MY PB). I updated to the latest version (AGAIN!) and my PB restarted.

No more WiFi Problems and I managed to restore some apps via a back up I did on the 25th of last month.

*whew* lengthy I know...

My PB is noticeably more fluid though and I am, for the most part, happy I wiped it.
    Maybe that's it?

Maybe the problem is updating over 1.07, and a clean install through the DM is the way to go?

Thoughts?

+++++++++++++++++++

As an experiment, I fired up the 64GB PB I've been keeping to give me for Xmas (yes Santa, I've been very good! ).

Obviously this 64GB PB was factory fresh and so comes pre-wiped. OS1.08 on that PB is a different world - fast, responsive browser - stable WiFi/BT connections.

In complete contrast, the OS1.08 I installed over the top of OS1.07 on my 16GB PB continues to run like a dog with one leg.

Take that statistically invalid experiment as you like, but I reckon I'm ever closer to wiping my 16GB PB and starting from scratch in an attempt to see if the 64GB PB experience is repeated. If I also restore my ability to backup, that will be the cherry on top!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 12-05-11 at 03:38 PM. Reason: More Info
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-05-11 01:54 PM
    Lol @ gramps could not survive without his Brahms Clarinet Quintet!

So I tried again... "Incorrect Password". This continued after a few more attempts and then it hit me: I MADE AN ERROR SETTING MY PASSWORD and I could not figure out what the error was. Furious and frustrated I maxed out my attempts and a security wipe was forced.... so I wiped my PB today and reinstalled the OS.

It must be tough, losing your memory at such a young age!!!

Glad it worked out.

And to answer some question above - yup, a 32 gig unit with over 20gigs of MY data (pics, mp3, video, docs, pdfs, etc).
    12-05-11 03:52 PM
    Maybe that's it?

Maybe the problem is updating over 1.07, and a clean install through the DM is the way to go?

Thoughts?

+++++++++++++++++++

As an experiment, I fired up the 64GB PB I've been keeping to give me for Xmas (yes Santa, I've been very good! ).

Obviously this 64GB PB was factory fresh and so comes pre-wiped. OS1.08 on that PB is a different world - fast, responsive browser - stable WiFi/BT connections.

In complete contrast, the OS1.08 I installed over the top of OS1.07 on my 16GB PB continues to run like a dog with one leg.

Take that statistically invalid experiment as you like, but I reckon I'm ever closer to wiping my 16GB PB and starting from scratch in an attempt to see if the 64GB PB experience is repeated. If I also restore my ability to backup, that will be the cherry on top!
    Or .... is the pb not as sandboxed as some claim or it does not do a good job of cleaning up after itself and starts getting "plaques" in its memory circuits. Now, as I learned yesterday, wiping is not a weekly solution. It takes a long time to restore tons of data and apps to the device. We shall see what OS2 brings to the platform (or not!)
    12-05-11 03:56 PM
    Maybe that's it?

Thoughts?

+++++++++++++++++++

Well after my PB was wiped, I updated it over the air (and it wasn't updated over anything since my PB was wiped). When I started using it, WiFi kept dropping but after I connected it to DM and updated it there, the WiFi problems vanished. So maybe, you're right... Updating through DM is the way to go, even though it is painfully slow.

It must be tough, losing your memory at such a young age!!!
    Hahahaa lol....
    12-05-11 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD