I got the PlayBook using Staples $100 off coupon plus the $100 cash back by becoming a rewards member. Here is what I noticed:

The device has excellent build quality and feels very nice. Overall hardware is excellent.

- The power button could be a tad easier to press
    - The back of the device can get warm. Not uncomfortable but noticeable
    - I often accidentally turn the device on. I think it needs a few actual hardware buttons... not sure what really. I think a trackpad like Berry's have would be perfect for when you need to precisely navigate a web page for links or correct spelling.
    - I find that the wifi is slow to connect or doesn't auto connect to remembered networks well... I'm not sure what it is.
    - The device needs some sort of better notification system. A light like Berry's have would be great. The ability to vibrate would be good too. I wish that if your playbook was active all of your notifications on your Berry would stop.
    - Typing is terrible while in the bridge based apps. It is very laggy. The BBM app in general is laggy.
    - The web browser doesn't give clear indications that it is loading or thinking. I find myself wondering if I actually registered a click and then I select a link again but it already started loading and now I might of accidentally clicked on something else.
    - I don't like the idea of having 2 seperate browsers. I think the regular browser should function when in bridge with no wifi synchronously.
    - It needs to have a SMS bridge feature!
    - The notification system has bugs where it doesn't always clear the messages indicator.
    I wish there was a way to better organize open apps. Perhaps actually minimizing an app so it doesn't show up in the "card" thing. Not sure here.
    - Definitely need to be able to customize the "folders"

Overall I like the device and enjoy it. It just needs some polishing and maturing that I think RIM needs to learn to do before releasing a device. Yeah it doesn't bother the enthusiast or tech minded among us... but non-techy people don't tolerate devices that needs massaging / tweaking / tricks to work right when the iOS functions so flawlessly. And trust me... I hate Apple.
    07-31-11 11:59 PM
    08-01-11 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD