Here comes the tablet flood - The Globe and Mail

Good article on tablets in businesses. I think the Ritz-Carlton example perfectly illustrates the difference between iPad and PlayBook: they use iPads as "eye candy" for customer menus, but PlayBooks for actual business functions like customer check-in and reservations.
    04-08-11 02:46 PM
    It would be nice to replace alot of paper products with tablets. I'll leave that thought to who ever wants to make a tp crack and start a war. But very nice article. I would love to walk into a restaraunt, connect to the wifi on my Xoom or playbook and the login web page shows the menu and each item you click shows a good picture of you're food and one the chef's on duty cooking it in a pre recorded video. Then you get to the table and the waitress takes you're order on a playbook or other 7" tablet (so it can be put in her pockets). And if you're at a family restaurant there is ipad sitting at the table loaded with stuff to distract the spoiled brats. All this and tree's would be safe from being murdered to make books, news papers, menu's, and other outdated reading material.
    Last edited by drethos; 04-08-11 at 03:33 PM.
    04-08-11 03:18 PM
    It would be nice to replace alot of paper products with tablets. I'll leave that thought to who ever wants to make a tp crack and start a war...
    Hey honey, we're out of iWipe!
    04-08-11 03:43 PM
    The future is here...

04-08-11 04:07 PM
    It would be nice to replace alot of paper products with tablets. I'll leave that thought to who ever wants to make a tp crack and start a war. But very nice article. I would love to walk into a restaraunt, connect to the wifi on my Xoom or playbook and the login web page shows the menu and each item you click shows a good picture of you're food and one the chef's on duty cooking it in a pre recorded video. Then you get to the table and the waitress takes you're order on a playbook or other 7" tablet (so it can be put in her pockets). And if you're at a family restaurant there is ipad sitting at the table loaded with stuff to distract the spoiled brats. All this and tree's would be safe from being murdered to make books, news papers, menu's, and other outdated reading material.
    You realize tablets have a much higher carbon foot print than paper does? The raw materials used to make a tablet are far more polution generating than the logging industry leading into the paper industry, and young developing forests from managed wood fields through reforestation generate more CO2 absobtion than leaving aged trees to tend themselves.

That said I sure do love my stuff digital, and use as little paper as possible

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dbrown021998 likes this.
    04-08-11 04:11 PM
    I saw on the news last weekend that there are a couple of airport cafes in the US (don't remember where) that have Ipads mounted on the tables that you give your order to, and can surf the web on while you are waiting for your food.
    04-08-11 04:22 PM
    Here comes the tablet flood - The Globe and Mail

Good article on tablets in businesses. I think the Ritz-Carlton example perfectly illustrates the difference between iPad and PlayBook: they use iPads as "eye candy" for customer menus, but PlayBooks for actual business functions like customer check-in and reservations.
    they use Playbooks?
    04-08-11 05:09 PM
    they use Playbooks?
    Why so surprised
    04-08-11 05:23 PM
    Why so surprised
    ...because there are still 11 days until RIM releases it?
    04-08-11 06:09 PM
    Why so surprised
    Cause they haven't shipped yet?? That might be a problem...
    04-08-11 06:11 PM
    Hey, I've been waiting 6 months for my pork chops!!! -)
    04-08-11 06:28 PM
    ...because there are still 11 days until RIM releases it?
    I take it to mean they either have committed to buying them, or are one of the corporate partners who got early evaluation units.
    The Ritz-Carlton just recently opened and has gotten a lot of media attention in Toronto. I'm sure RIM would love to have exposure there and say their tablet helps run the most high end hotel in Toronto
    04-08-11 07:11 PM
    Does not surprise me people are using tablets for business, iPad or Playbook. The "RIM is for business and Apple is for play" statements are old and petty to me. After owning an iPad 2 and using it at work I can say I find the tablet form factor and the iPad specifically quite useful. I am sure the Playbook is going to further that, but Apple has done a nice job. I have not missed Flash but I think that might change after using a Playbook for a bit.
    04-09-11 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD