My PB doesnt detect the wifi network ...

I used my phone's data connection .. and made my phone a wifi hotspot ...

my notebook detects the hotspot and is working well ...

but my PB is not even detecting ... the hotspot

tried with open encryption also .. for testing .. but ... didnt work ..

any suggestions guys ??? .. I badly need it ..
    01-21-12 11:39 AM
    Have you tried connecting manually? (i.e. setting up manual connection vs. wifi scanning)

To do so, open up your PB Options menu, select Wi-Fi, then choose "Connect Manually". Enter your SSID name and other details, then choose "Connect".

Hope this helps.
    01-21-12 01:26 PM
    Have you tried turning off the wifi and then back on. May still be "on" the previous wifi connection.
    01-21-12 02:20 PM
    The PB's wifi really sucks ...truly hoping that OS2.0 can resolve the numerous issues associated with wifi constantly dropping / resetting the connection or not finding / identifying available networks. I just returned from a ski trip .....5 users connected to a secured condo network ....4 had iPads and I had the PB. I don't want to start another iPad / PB fight .....but iPads all connected seamlessly ....i could only connect 20% of the time ....most other time PB was not finding the internet connection ...even though the network was saved to my PB ...... and working very well for my other colleagues - heck ...I was standing 3 feet away from the darn router. Needless to say they all had great fun at my expense .....reason why i can't fly solo with the PB ....my 3 year old Netbook had no problems identifying and connecting to the same mentioned network. I love the PB but the wifi just really blows ....mostly miss rather than hit ...truly unacceptable for a firm such as RIM !!!!!
    black hole likes this.
    01-21-12 03:38 PM
    i have several pbs and up until 2 nights ago my wifi was workin flawlessly, now my pbs are all dropping the wifi connection and having a tough time finding them again.

i am going to digg into the issue, maybe router, or something else

rimm for life
    01-21-12 03:48 PM
    The WiFi on my PB is my biggest complaint about the device. I don't have any issues with it once it's connected, but it's very stubborn about making that initial connection. There are four WiFi networks that I move between regularly (2 at home; 1 at work; and my MiFi hotspot.) Sometimes the PB will automatically connect, but all too often I have to force a connection with multiple uses of WPS. I've spent as much as 20 minutes trying to establish a connection.
    01-21-12 03:57 PM
    i have several pbs and up until 2 nights ago my wifi was workin flawlessly, now my pbs are all dropping the wifi connection and having a tough time finding them again.
    I suspect a neighbour setup a WiFi router on the same channel or an adjacent channel as your router, and now it's interfering. Many routers will let you do a scan that shows what other routers are around and what channel they're on so you can pick one farther away. Some routers also have an auto channel mode where it picks the one with the least interference.
    01-21-12 03:57 PM
    I suspect a neighbour setup a WiFi router on the same channel or an adjacent channel as your router, and now it's interfering. Many routers will let you do a scan that shows what other routers are around and what channel they're on so you can pick one farther away. Some routers also have an auto channel mode where it picks the one with the least interference.
    Having a number of years old Linksys (no N which might not be bad seeing the issues) and not dual band, etc - got any suggestions for one or more that would work with the playbook. Allowing me to set a static ip address for the pb (and bb phone) would be another plus (my current does not allow that).

Thanks for any/all suggestions priced under $500!!!!
    01-21-12 04:52 PM
    F2, my top suggestion would be one compatible with Tomato USB, see the table at Build Types - TomatoUSB . The default firmware on pretty much every router sucks, whereas even 8 year old routers running Tomato USB can have all the features of current routers. If your current router is on that list, and a lot of Linksys ones are, start by installing it. You'd probably discover you don't need a new router, as Tomato USB will give it the ability to do thinks like static DHCP and high quality QoS.

If you're looking for a new router I think of the list the best router to buy right now is the Linksys E3000. Because they've been replaced by the E3200 prices are coming down ($90 is common enough). I would have no concerns about it being an older model, older is actually better as Tomato USB doesn't support the E3200. If you wanted to save the money the E2000 would work too. The E3000 is the E2000 + simultaneous dual band + USB support for hard drives/printers.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-21-12 06:37 PM
    tried manual connect and also restart of wifi ,,, several times ...

but couldn't ...

any other suggestions ??????
    01-22-12 10:30 AM
    What phone are you trying to connect to? When I did hotspot with my 9850 I didn't have any problem. There are threads about some droid models not playing well.
    01-22-12 10:44 AM
    My issues with Wifi on the PlayBook dropping signal (briefly) were when 1 of these 3 situations were at play...

(1) The wifi router was set to mixed mode. ( I guess it stretches the limits of the router since it has to tend to 2-3 different standards at once )

(2) Most of the routers using 2.4 Ghz in my area were powered on. ( At times more than 20 signals can be powered on in my area (New York City) and the interference is INSANE to say the least )

(3) More than 5 people were on my network downloading videos and things that are bandwidth hungry.

I recently (3 days ago) got me a NetGear n750 dual band router and no dropped signals. I only use the 5Ghz band a/n for my PlayBook and my 9900... The 2.4 Ghz b/g/n band is what I use for all the other stuff... The PlayBook is smooth sailing!

I also have the 50 Mbps download / 8Mbps upload with my cable provider. That is also key to amount of bandwidth the network is capable of supporting at any given time.
    Last edited by Abrante; 01-22-12 at 11:22 AM.
    01-22-12 11:20 AM
    I have 4 routers that I use daily, 2 at work and 2 at home. One at work is an older Linksys G-band router that we have had for years and had several phones and various other devices connected to it without ever having any issues. I just got a new 64gb PB that would not connect to one of our routers manually, tried WPS, changed all settings possible, all possible combinations, etc., still PB disabled profile and I had to delete the profile completely on the PB, disable wifi, BT, etc, reboot PB and router, then recreate profile and it connects now just like the old 16gb PB did automatically every time.

@F2 At home I have my main router, Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) dual band and it the fastest router I have ever owned, but it lists for $180, however I got mine with a $60 rebate through Fry's Electronics, so not too bad, but it was worth it and includes 2 usb ports for printers or external hard drive or even thumb drives. I also have an older WRT54G Linksys for an access point at home and another D-Link N-band for an access point at work that have never had issues with any devices.

The one router that I have had the most issues, not PB, but other devices was a Belkin router, never gonna buy another one. I much prefer Cisco-Linksys, D-Link or my new favorite Netgear routers. A friend has the new Asus N600 dual-band that is wicked fast as well, but I don't know much about it other than the great reviews it is getting.
    Abrante likes this.
    01-22-12 11:31 AM
    My issues with Wifi on the PlayBook dropping signal (briefly) were when 1 of these 3 situations were at play...

(1) The wifi router was set to mixed mode. ( I guess it stretches the limits of the router since it has to tend to 2-3 different standards at once )

(2) Most of the routers using 2.4 Ghz in my area were powered on. ( At times more than 20 signals can be powered on in my area (New York City) and the interference is INSANE to say the least )

(3) More than 5 people were on my network downloading videos and things that are bandwidth hungry.

I recently (3 days ago) got me a NetGear n750 dual band router and no dropped signals. I only use the 5Ghz band a/n for my PlayBook and my 9900... The 2.4 Ghz b/g/n band is what I use for all the other stuff... The PlayBook is smooth sailing!

I also have the 50 Mbps download / 8Mbps upload with my cable provider. That is also key to amount of bandwidth the network is capable of supporting at any given time.
    Your 9900 works on 5ghz band?
    01-22-12 11:36 AM
    I have 4 routers that I use daily, 2 at work and 2 at home. One at work is an older Linksys G-band router that we have had for years and had several phones and various other devices connected to it without ever having any issues. I just got a new 64gb PB that would not connect to one of our routers manually, tried WPS, changed all settings possible, all possible combinations, etc., still PB disabled profile and I had to delete the profile completely on the PB, disable wifi, BT, etc, reboot PB and router, then recreate profile and it connects now just like the old 16gb PB did automatically every time.

@F2 At home I have my main router, Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) dual band and it the fastest router I have ever owned, but it lists for $180, however I got mine with a $60 rebate through Fry's Electronics, so not too bad, but it was worth it and includes 2 usb ports for printers or external hard drive or even thumb drives. I also have an older WRT54G Linksys for an access point at home and another D-Link N-band for an access point at work that have never had issues with any devices.

The one router that I have had the most issues, not PB, but other devices was a Belkin router, never gonna buy another one. I much prefer Cisco-Linksys, D-Link or my new favorite Netgear routers. A friend has the new Asus N600 dual-band that is wicked fast as well, but I don't know much about it other than the great reviews it is getting.

Last Monday I was debating which router to get and it was between the n750 or the n900 (Netgear) and the Cisco-L-Linksys 4200v2. All three had list prices of $140+ but the 4200v2 ($240) and the n900 ($180) didn't give me the one thing that I really needed (aside from being dual band) which was the ability to hang it on the wall . I went with the n750 which cost me $150 after tax/shipping and it has worked out great. The 450mbps on the 2.4Ghz frequency on the n900 wasn't going to help me. lol, my area has way too much routers running in 2.4Ghz... Great router though, hope these 2 NetGears continue to bring us solid performance!
    Last edited by Abrante; 01-22-12 at 11:46 AM.
    01-22-12 11:40 AM
    Your 9900 works on 5ghz band?
    All the 99XX's do . Check out the link below.

BlackBerry - Bold Touch Phone - New BlackBerry Bold Touch Screen Phones
    Last edited by Abrante; 01-22-12 at 11:50 AM.
    01-22-12 11:48 AM
    Ah but my 9850 does not.
    01-22-12 11:53 AM
    Last Monday I was debating which router to get and it was between the n750/ n900 (netgear) and the Cisco-L-Linksys 4200v2. All three had list prices of $140+ but the 4200v2 ($240) and the n900 ($180) didn't give me the one thing that I really needed which was the ability to hang it on the wall. I settled for the n750 which cost me $150 after tax/shipping and it has worked out great.
    The N750 is also a very nice router and you should easily be able to find the 4200v2 for less than $200 in the US, I have tested each and they were both very good routers. Although I do not need to hang my N900 on the wall, it could be easily done by drilling a couple of small holes in the stand. I have a couple of other routers (2 at work and 1 at home) sitting on small shelves with supporting brackets that are mounted on the wall, this allows me to pull the router down quicker if needed for any reason.
    01-22-12 11:57 AM
    Ah but my 9850 does not.

That is the way that manufacturers differentiate devices to force you to pay a premium... Sucks, but it is true!
    01-22-12 11:58 AM
    That is the way that manufacturers differentiate devices to force you to pay a premium... Sucks, but it is true!
    Too true. Guess I don't really need it and if my carrier had the 9930 I would've gone with it.
    01-22-12 12:21 PM
    Some good suggestions.

I've got an older Linksys wrt54g. It works okay but occasionally I will find I have no connection to the outside world on it. It has no on/off switch so I need to "depower" it off and then on at the socket (where I have now plugged it into a switch). And I regain my internet connection (so I don't believe it is the dsl model (which remains on when doing this cycling).

That's why I am considering a replacement. It has older firmware, too, I believe. I hate tinkering with major components os/bios/firmware if I can avoid it.
    01-22-12 12:33 PM
    Too true. Guess I don't really need it and if my carrier had the 9930 I would've gone with it.

I needed the 5Ghz band because the interference on the 2.4Ghz band in my area is insane. I have the 2.4 Ghz band active on my router because my wife's laptop is 2.4Ghz and it doesn't even see the 5Ghz band on the list of available networks (which is understandable). So far the 5Ghz band has been great for me. Now I play Nova 2 HD and Modern Combat 2 HD in Multiplayer Live gameplay without losing connection
    01-22-12 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD