CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Help regarding flash streaming

Hi!

I've been having a bit of issue with my PB. I've tried searching for the solution all over the internet and it seems no one has a real solution to this problem. So I've come here hoping you guys will help me. Anyways, the problem is with flash streaming I think. When I play a video on a website for example putlocker, sockshare, shows on abc and cbs, and probably a few more, the videos will work fine for maybe 2-4 minutes. But then there will be a brief flicker of the video, not the whole screen itself but video, and the video will black out. There's no audio, no indication if it's just a buffering problem, it'll just black out. I skip ahead and go back in the video to see if maybe the player will work again and start to buffer but to no avail.

Only if I refresh the page and start the video from scratch that then it begins to work and then the cycle will repeat again. This is extremely frustrating as I can't watch any streaming movies or stream any shows on the PB which makes it half as useful as it should be to me. It should be noted that I can watch youtube videos all day long without and trouble. Same thing goes for clips on websites such as NBA and NFL. Those clips give me no issue. I don't if its a flash thing because I'm fairly sure NBA.com and NFL.com also use flash so it makes no sense as to why those other websites will not work. I'm not sure if this is a video player issue or a flash issue but any help regarding this will greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

I think others have posted something similar recently. I don't know why this is happening but if I were you I would first make sure that no other apps are running at the same time while streaming or that there are no other tabs in the browser. The reason I am saying this is because if the video is a lengthy one it may be eating up a lot of memory and having other apps/tabs open results in the video to "misbehave"(???). Just a guess.
    CrackBerry Master

Just to troubleshoot, try it on another wifi network. Some wifi routers do funky things due to bugs in their firmware or over-aggressive power-saving modes.
    ORBIT for BB10 - The World In Your Pocket - World, Time, Weather in spectacular 3D. Demo on our site!

Files & Folders
    for PlayBook and BB10: a powerful unified file, folder & cloud manager and media streamer with integrated SkyDrive, Google Docs, Google Drive, SugarSync, Dropbox, Box, thumbnails and more - Free 3-day trial! - Voted Best New BlackBerry App
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Help regarding flash streaming

Quote Originally Posted by rtahsin View Post
    Hi!

I've been having a bit of issue with my PB. I've tried searching for the solution all over the internet and it seems no one has a real solution to this problem. So I've come here hoping you guys will help me. Anyways, the problem is with flash streaming I think. When I play a video on a website for example putlocker, sockshare, shows on abc and cbs, and probably a few more, the videos will work fine for maybe 2-4 minutes. But then there will be a brief flicker of the video, not the whole screen itself but video, and the video will black out. There's no audio, no indication if it's just a buffering problem, it'll just black out. I skip ahead and go back in the video to see if maybe the player will work again and start to buffer but to no avail.

Only if I refresh the page and start the video from scratch that then it begins to work and then the cycle will repeat again. This is extremely frustrating as I can't watch any streaming movies or stream any shows on the PB which makes it half as useful as it should be to me. It should be noted that I can watch youtube videos all day long without and trouble. Same thing goes for clips on websites such as NBA and NFL. Those clips give me no issue. I don't if its a flash thing because I'm fairly sure NBA.com and NFL.com also use flash so it makes no sense as to why those other websites will not work. I'm not sure if this is a video player issue or a flash issue but any help regarding this will greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!
    I think with putlocker etc it is due to the pop-up, timed ads. does this occur more in full screen mode? As the stock browser has no adblocking capabilities, it gets stuck with these when they occur. People tend to recommend simple browser+
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have the same Problem. Watching a streamed Flash Video in fullscreen I got the same Problem. It's not a problem by router It's a playbook feature.

BallRockReaper boldly are TENacious
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I've tried in several different wi fi networks and I get the same result. I also tried not using full screen but still the same thing. I guess what you say about putlocker does make sense regarding the adblocking but that shouldn't be the case if I were watching videos on websites such as abc or cbs.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

also tried without having any other apps open or any tabs open but doesn't work. I would call this a huge design flaw if it's apparently a playbook feature.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rtahsin View Post
    also tried without having any other apps open or any tabs open but doesn't work. I would call this a huge design flaw if it's apparently a playbook feature.
    hmm..that's quite a strong conclusion I would say the least. The problem you are talking about doesn't always appear and if it does only at certain websites. I have personally never encountered any problems streaming videos from the web. It might be the way some websites are designed or down to some particular particular tablets or even the way these tablets are being used (e.g. sideloading android apps). In either case characterising it a "huge design flaw" IMHO is a bit strong.
    CrackBerry Genius

I have several Playbooks and have no problems streaming videos from the sites you have noted. Occassionally I will have the issue you report but often times refreshing the browser is all it takes to get the stream to play all the way through. The issue is certainly not the Playbook. Try using SimpleBrowser (it's free).
    CrackBerry Genius

Hello. I had posted this to another member having similar issues with streaming content, in that case specifically with putlocker. I use to have problems too but I quickly realized what was going on. The real problem is system memory and the length of video you stream. 10min youtube vids are a breeze for the browser. With putlocker, and sites such as that, we are usually watching tv shows or movies (don't lie ppl). The size of this content begins to quickly exceed the 400 to 500 MB of memory the playbook saves for purposes such as streaming or gaming. The best way to go about having less interruptions is to follow these rules I came up with and use always. This will be very useful for catching up on your fave shows.

1. Always clear cache before you start. (you can even do this again before you click play andstart the video)
    2. Close other applications to get as much of the memory usage you can.
    3. As you navigate through some of these sites, you start to collect a whole bunch of ad pop-ups. Close them all. This actually kept the browser from force closing before. It doesn't do it as often anymore but I still do this cuz I hate pop-ups.
    4. Try not to pause your videos for too long. Even if I do all these steps, if I am interrupted for more than a few minutes and I leave it on pause, streaming stops and the flicker and blackout thing happens after a while forcing me to refresh the page and find my spot again.

Hope this helps. This problem is just a matter of the browser being more capable of handling streaming than the hardware will allow.
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by eddy_berry View Post
    Hello. I had posted this to another member having similar issues with streaming content, in that case specifically with putlocker. I use to have problems too but I quickly realized what was going on. The real problem is system memory and the length of video you stream. 10min youtube vids are a breeze for the browser. With putlocker, and sites such as that, we are usually watching tv shows or movies (don't lie ppl). The size of this content begins to quickly exceed the 400 to 500 MB of memory the playbook saves for purposes such as streaming or gaming. The best way to go about having less interruptions is to follow these rules I came up with and use always. This will be very useful for catching up on your fave shows.

1. Always clear cache before you start. (you can even do this again before you click play andstart the video)
    2. Close other applications to get as much of the memory usage you can.
    3. As you navigate through some of these sites, you start to collect a whole bunch of ad pop-ups. Close them all. This actually kept the browser from force closing before. It doesn't do it as often anymore but I still do this cuz I hate pop-ups.
    4. Try not to pause your videos for too long. Even if I do all these steps, if I am interrupted for more than a few minutes and I leave it on pause, streaming stops and the flicker and blackout thing happens after a while forcing me to refresh the page and find my spot again.

Hope this helps. This problem is just a matter of the browser being more capable of handling streaming than the hardware will allow.
    Thanks for the help! I'm curious to know why this doesn't occur with youtube. I've watched many videos on youtube that exceed the 10 min. allotment such as khanacademy vids or MIT courseware vids where the videos can go 1hr+.

Btw how do I clear the cache?
    CrackBerry Genius

swipe down from top in browser for settings. private browsing option may help as well
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
    CrackBerry Abuser

It may be how Youtube streams. With normal flash sites, you have a cached copy of the FLV or other file on your hard drive in the Temp folder. Flash plays from that file. That cached file is easy to copy and drop so you will always have a private copy. Youtube does not wat you copying so they save, play, delete, save play delete, etc, so you never have a full copy of the video on your hard drive. This is a reason other methods and sites like keepvid are needed to capture Youtube.

If you have a site that saves a very long file, the Playbook will run out of resources.

Playbooks have 1GB of RAM, which is why I cringe when I still see other tablets coming with 512MB. I can't think of any, but the most popular tablets of 2012 did not have more than 1GB of RAM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

I haven't had any problems streaming some television shows from NBC etc. If you have problems streaming, why don't you just download the video.