I'm trying to do my first backup.

I'm running BB Desktop, my PB is connected, and my password was accepted. I can browse through the files on my PB (both through BB Desktop, and through Windows Explorer), so I know the connection is good.

When i hit the backup button (with 'Custom' selected) after about a minute I get the error message "Loading of backup content failed', and then the process stops.

If I select 'full' backup, after about a minute I get a different error message: ...check to see that the device is on and connected. But it IS on and it IS connected!

I've tried to reboot my PB and re-run BB Desktop, but backup always fails, and I'm getting very frustrated. I have tried connected to my laptop, and to my desktop machine, with the same outcome ...the same error messages.

Have others experienced this problem? Could somebody please help me?

Thanks.
    NowDatsLivin likes this.
    10-20-11 05:35 PM
    did u check to see if you have the latest version of the desktop software.... if not delete the old one, load the latest and give it a try.
    10-20-11 05:47 PM
    Yes, I have the latest BB Desktop software. Also, the only apps I have installed are apps I've obtained through RIM's App Store. And other than loading photos and music (and then deleting some), I haven't messed with the file system at all.
    10-20-11 05:56 PM
    This is a known issue. Not sure what causes it, but you will find other threads on the topic if you search. It hopefully will be corrected in 2.0. In the interim, your best option is to do selective backups. Instead of selecting Full Backup, choose Custom, then do a backup of Settings, then one of app data. You probably have all your media already on your computer, so you don't necessarily have to back that up unless you absolutely want to. This will at least allow you to back up the important stuff. Good luck!
    10-20-11 06:09 PM
    gtiffany:

I tried to do a 'Custom' backup, but it fails. (See my original post.)
    10-20-11 06:16 PM
    The solution for me was to choose Custom backup, then only select one item per backup. You will have to do a backup for each item that you want to backup, just add the name of the item to the end of the file name to keep track of which item is in which backup.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike_Luchia; 10-20-11 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
    10-20-11 06:17 PM
    Mike: I tried to do a 'Custom' backup, but the BB Desktop software fails with the error message "Loading of backup content failed", then the backup program stops ...as I stated in my original post.

My intention is to NOT back up any of my media files.
    10-20-11 06:25 PM
    i havent seen any comments about this being fixed from any developers st devcon. im sure most of them would have brought their laptops and tried doing a backup. however in this case no news is not good news.
    10-20-11 06:27 PM
    i have the same problem. custom backup does NOT work as tje op imdicated. neither does full backup. i get the same messages at the op. i have uninstalled and reinstalled desktop manager dm and installed older versions. those errors persist

i manually backup up all data but canNOT backup apps or settings. the failure to backup apps is a problem since some of my apps habe chamed price amd i would have to repurchase tjem - not fair.
    10-20-11 07:59 PM
    Could my backup problem possibly be caused by a 'bad' app (even though all my apps came from PB App World)?

If so, would uninstalling all the apps I have downloaded solve the backup problem (and then I could re-install them)?
    10-20-11 08:15 PM
    Could my backup problem possibly be caused by a 'bad' app (even though all my apps came from PB App World)?

If so, would uninstalling all the apps I have downloaded solve the backup problem (and then I could re-install them)?
    I am not sure. And that's the problem. I have some I canNOT reload without having to repurchase.

I even tried a second computer with a different Windows version and that did not work. So, yes, it is probably something on the pb. I don't know if it is the number of apps, the size of all my data, one specific app or something else entirely.

Some folks have done a security wipe but I'm not sure that they have all been successful.

You can search as there are other threads on this issue.
    10-20-11 08:46 PM
    I was having the same problem, rebooted the PC, and hard reset (vol +, vol -, Power) my PB, and then the backup worked.
    10-20-11 10:47 PM
    sesinger...

I tried the reboot & the hard reset ...it didn't work

I tried uninstalling all the apps I got from App World ...it didn't work

I'm getting really PO'd with RIM; why in **** don't they have someone monitor this forum, and offer some help?!? It's ridiculous that something as basic as backup won't work! I've really tried to maintain a positive attitude, but my patience is wearing thin.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-21-11 01:53 AM
    i manually backup up all data but canNOT backup apps or settings. the failure to backup apps is a problem since some of my apps habe chamed price amd i would have to repurchase tjem - not fair.
    @F2 : Don't think so: if you purchased your apps on AppWorld, they remain listed in "My World", and you can reinstall them as many time as you want, of course on the same BBID machine, but You will loose your settings. It worked nice for me even with upgrade to beta 2.
    Edit : do you mean that because they changed price they are not listed anymore ?

@fastartcee : Well, I read your Q&As and ask myself ; so what does this user want ? You say that you don't want to backup multimedia (I extended to personal docs). So what exactly do you want to backup ?
    If the answer is "almost nothing", don't think I'm mocking, you did well; we should always test fundamental functionalities before we really need them. In that case, I'll suggest that you proceed a security wipe and clean installation of both PB OS and BB Desktop. For apps, see my answer to F2.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-21-11 at 03:07 AM.
    10-21-11 03:02 AM
    sesinger...

I tried the reboot & the hard reset ...it didn't work

I tried uninstalling all the apps I got from App World ...it didn't work

I'm getting really PO'd with RIM; why in **** don't they have someone monitor this forum, and offer some help?!? It's ridiculous that something as basic as backup won't work! I've really tried to maintain a positive attitude, but my patience is wearing thin.
    But, if you want to talk to god himself ... maybe heaven is the best place to go, no ?
    General Support Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of Research in Motion Limited.
    CrackBerry.com is in No Way Affiliated with Research in Motion Limited.
    magellat and KRol like this.
    10-21-11 03:06 AM
    Superfly-fr:

The price change means that I canNOT redownload without having to pay the new/higher price. I don't want the NEW versions. I want to maintain the ones I have already. But since I cannot back them up, I will have to purchase them again.

It is an issue with Appworld. There is no way to get or keep older versions of apps.

At the moment I'm in a stalemate. I will continue to backup data/pictures/videos/etc manually. But I'm sure that I will have to concede at some point and erase everything and see what happens.
    10-21-11 08:53 AM
    Superfly-fr:

The price change means that I canNOT redownload without having to pay the new/higher price. I don't want the NEW versions. I want to maintain the ones I have already. But since I cannot back them up, I will have to purchase them again.

It is an issue with Appworld. There is no way to get or keep older versions of apps.

At the moment I'm in a stalemate. I will continue to backup data/pictures/videos/etc manually. But I'm sure that I will have to concede at some point and erase everything and see what happens.

I bought apps that went on sale before, and when they returned to the normal price i haven't had to repurchase them. I even get the updates for these apps.

I too had the backup problems, in order for mine to work i ended up uninstalling DM (which you did), i reinstalled the new version, and restarted the pc. I then did a backup on my phone to see if it would back up, and it did. Then i connected the Playbook and performed a "sync" to see if that would work, and it did. I attempted a full back up to get the failure message you are seeing. I then did a custom backup, un-checking one item at a time, until i was able to back up. I eventually found out (which i cant remember what it was off hand but i'll let you know) could not/would not back up. I was able to back everything else up but that one category or group or whatever you want to call it. This most likely wont help you since you've tried the custom back up, but this is how i got it to work for me. Hope it helps though.
    fastartcee likes this.
    10-21-11 09:31 AM
    Superfly-fr...

This got started when I decided to try OS2. In order to allow roll-back to OS1.07 the advice was: do a backup.

I wasn't interested in backing up my media, because I've got all of it on my home server. But I presumed (am I wrong??) that, in addition to apps, settings, downloads and documents, a backup would also backup the OS (to allow a re-install).

I have about 14,000 photos and 2000 sound tracks on my PB, and I thought a selective backup would save me the bother of a wipe & re-install of OS1.07, and the re-copying over to my PB of all my media.

I'm thinking of just updating to OS2 without any backup. If I end up 'bricking' my PB, well, that just might save me a lot of frustration! I have never bumped into a company as inept at (and indifferent to) customer support. If you buy a $50 router from, say, D-Link, you get email support and live chat support; if you buy a $550 Playbook, clueless RIM just lets you swing in the air! What's wrong with this picture?!?

Thank you--and all other repliers--for your attempts to help. (And I hope the weather in Paris is tres bon!)
    10-21-11 09:41 AM
    I bought apps that went on sale before, and when they returned to the normal price i haven't had to repurchase them. I even get the updates for these apps.

I too had the backup problems, in order for mine to work i ended up uninstalling DM (which you did), i reinstalled the new version, and restarted the pc. I then did a backup on my phone to see if it would back up, and it did. Then i connected the Playbook and performed a "sync" to see if that would work, and it did. I attempted a full back up to get the failure message you are seeing. I then did a custom backup, un-checking one item at a time, until i was able to back up. I eventually found out (which i cant remember what it was off hand but i'll let you know) could not/would not back up. I was able to back everything else up but that one category or group or whatever you want to call it. This most likely wont help you since you've tried the custom back up, but this is how i got it to work for me. Hope it helps though.
    When I select 'Custom' in DB backup, then hit 'Backup', I expected to see a list of data types which would allow me to select everything except Media. But the process never gets that far... after a minute I get the error message (in red, in the box in which the data types should have appeared), 'Loading of backup content failed', and the backup program stops.

It is almost as if DM is looking for a backup file (as it would IF one was doing a restore) to load content from, but couldn't find it.

An earlier version of DM (6.0, I think) had, in addition to 'Full' and 'Custom', another backup option called 'Quick' that backed up everything except media files. (I found this info on a RIM support page.) I would select that option if it were available in DM Ver 6.1.)

I think I'm going to upgrade to OS2 Beta without doing a backup. What the **** ...I might as well own a brick.
    10-21-11 09:58 AM
    Last time I had to do a restore, it wouldn't work and any applications that changed their price (Like Magellan which went from $2.99 to $4.99 for hardly any extra functionality) demanded a full payment. It really pissed me off.

This am, I'm trying to upgrade like you and have been having similar problems backing up... get the same messages. I did notice however that when I'm clicking custom settings that the APPLICATION bytes are ZERO. When that box is selected, it fails. The settings bytes are about 1.3M and when I click them by themselves, it works fine. Good luck. I'm probably bricking mine too but I'm taking the leap.
    10-21-11 10:09 AM
    Once you hit custom, you have to wait for the data types to show up. you uncheck them before clicking backup. They will show up in a box below the 2 backup options.
    10-21-11 10:51 AM
    Once you hit custom, you have to wait for the data types to show up. you uncheck them before clicking backup. They will show up in a box below the 2 backup options.
    I know that that is how it SHOULD go. But when I start the backup process in DM, after checking 'Custom', the program never gets as far as showing me the data types. I get the "Loading of backup content failed" error message, and then the backup program quits. I've left it for 10 minutes, and it NEVER shows data types for selection.
    10-21-11 12:04 PM
    I know that that is how it SHOULD go. But when I start the backup process in DM, after checking 'Custom', the program never gets as far as showing me the data types. I get the "Loading of backup content failed" error message, and then the backup program quits. I've left it for 10 minutes, and it NEVER shows data types for selection.
    I wonder if it has to do with the amount being backed up. I'm only trying to backup about 2.3Gb and a full backup fails every time and a custom backup fails if i choose everything on the list. if i backup each piece individually and each piece is only about 1Gb or less, it seems to work ok.

Maybe the reason your custom backups are failing while reading whats on hour PB is because your data is so big, that it fails while trying to read because it takes too long.

Mike
    10-21-11 12:18 PM
    I wonder if it has to do with the amount being backed up. I'm only trying to backup about 2.3Gb and a full backup fails every time and a custom backup fails if i choose everything on the list. if i backup each piece individually and each piece is only about 1Gb or less, it seems to work ok.

Maybe the reason your custom backups are failing while reading whats on hour PB is because your data is so big, that it fails while trying to read because it takes too long.

Mike
    Mike...

I've wondered that myself; maybe backup is tripping over my 14,000 photos! However, that doesn't make sense. After all, what is a backup program for, except to make a backup of what you've got on your device! RIM sells 64 gig PBs, so one would think that RIMs backup program in their own Desktop Manager would be able to handle that much data.

Nonetheless, I am thinking about deleting all my photos and trying another backup. It's just a bit of a bother to have to reload them all.
    10-21-11 12:53 PM
    Mike...

I've wondered that myself; maybe backup is tripping over my 14,000 photos! However, that doesn't make sense. After all, what is a backup program for, except to make a backup of what you've got on your device! RIM sells 64 gig PBs, so one would think that RIMs backup program in their own Desktop Manager would be able to handle that much data.

Nonetheless, I am thinking about deleting all my photos and trying another backup. It's just a bit of a bother to have to reload them all.
    I think we have to remember that Desktop Manager was initially meant for Blackberry phones and not the PlayBook. With the bigger storage capacity of the PlayBook, not to mention a different OS, there might be compatability issues.

None the less it is still and issue that needs to be resolved.

You are able to move your pictures off your PlayBook onto a computer are you not? Would hate to see you delete 14000 pictures and not be able to get them back again.

Mike
    fastartcee likes this.
    10-21-11 12:59 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD