Hi Guys,

Need a bit help here before I go back to the shop!
    Just picked up a 64G playbook this afternoon.
    When I turn it on, it asks you to select language, then "Connect to WIFI". My macbook shows there are 5 WIFI network available (including the one I use at home), but the playbook has not found even one, so nothing i can select to connect to. manually connect also doesn't work.

I googled a bit and found a way to do a system upgrade using DM, however, it still has the same issue, so i am just stuck at the "Connect to WI-FI" screen and can't go any further.

My home network has 1 bb9700, 1 ip4, 3 laptops, 1 ipad connected to it without a issue. how come the PB couldn't even find it?

it there any known issue with the hardware? or is it something i am missing? i didn't think it will be such a hard process to set a playbook up....very frustrating.

any ideas guys? if not, i will be going back to the shop and see if they can fix it or exchange it

Cheers
    10-15-11 03:34 AM
    Exchange it, it shouldnt be that hard.

In the mean time, restart your router, check another wifi location if you can, but i still say exchange it. With the new one, open the box in store and check with their wi fi.

Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-11 03:41 AM
    sounds like a WiFi hardware issue for sure .... let them try at the shop .. then they can hand u a new unit
    10-15-11 03:50 AM
    hmmm...might have to go to the shop again then......sigh......
    10-15-11 04:05 AM
    try hard reset of the playbook too.Hold down the volume up key, volume down key, and power button at the same time and hold it for about 15 seconds. TIP: Its easier if you hit the volume up key then the volume down key and then the power key.
    10-15-11 04:52 AM
    try hard reset of the playbook too.Hold down the volume up key, volume down key, and power button at the same time and hold it for about 15 seconds. TIP: Its easier if you hit the volume up key then the volume down key and then the power key.
    I tried it, no difference. it is a brand new device straight out of box.
    10-15-11 04:55 AM
    if you dont want to go back to the store, go to a coffee shop like starbucks or a shop that has free wifi. see if you can log in there. if that fails surely go back and get it replaced. one more important thing- make sure your PB is charged, if its below 20% it wont do the setup even after connecting to the wifi, but atleast you would know that it does connect to the wifi
    Last edited by anindoc; 10-15-11 at 08:15 AM.
    10-15-11 07:10 AM
    I do have a feeling from your post that you don't have an own wifi connection, but sharing one with others from far distance, or hijaking the neighbours one, forgive me if mistaken.

If what I got is right, then the Wifi hardware in the PlayBook is not as strong as the Mac so you need a high signal Wifi

I want to apoligize again, but also sometimes the PB comes damaged from the store, you may go for an exchange.

Last edited by M.Rizk; 10-15-11 at 07:36 AM.
    10-15-11 07:34 AM
    it is my home wifi connection. i don't like share mine to others or hijacking others

I saw some posts about going to a public wifi, but the thing is, it is not showing 1 wifi network while all my other devices can find 4,5 wifi networks....

below 20% wont do setup?
    10-15-11 07:43 AM
    I don't deal with % in coverage sorry.

Well if it doesn't show any WiFi networks, then I would suggest asking for an exchange, don't get mad at it, its a great tablet, you will love it.

There is a quote in Arabic that tells "there is no sweets/fun without fire/being tired"

10-15-11 07:46 AM
    I don't deal with % in coverage sorry.

Well if it doesn't show any WiFi networks, then I would suggest asking for an exchange, don't get mad at it, its a great tablet, you will love it.

There is a quote in Arabic that tells "there is no sweets/fun without fire/being tired"

not mad, just feel frustrated that i have it in front of me but cant play it......
    10-15-11 07:55 AM
    best thing to do here is call the number for support maybe they know a trick,.. otherwise go get a new one the antena may be faulty
    10-15-11 08:08 AM
    Take it back to the place of purchase and exchange it. The fact that your other devices find 4+ networks including yours and the PB doesn't find any clearly shows that something is wrong. Would you be okay if you bought a brand new car and before you drive it out the lot the salesman tells you to call the nearest service center for a tune up? I wouldn't... I am up to my 3rd exchange in 2 weeks with my playbook due to dust (under the screen) and bright pixel issues. I paid them $434, I expect a perfectly (or as close to it) working tablet, SIMPLE!
    Last edited by Abrante; 10-15-11 at 09:36 AM.
    10-15-11 09:34 AM
    ...and bright pixel issues. I paid them $434, I expect a perfectly (or as close to it) working tablet, SIMPLE!
    What do you mean by "bright pixels?"
    10-15-11 10:22 AM
    What do you mean by "bright pixels?"
    Pixels that stay white under any circumstances. The first screen that pops up when you power on the PB looked like if I was looking at the stars on a clear night.
    Last edited by Abrante; 10-15-11 at 10:41 AM.
    10-15-11 10:33 AM
    Hi, I've purchased four playbooks for my family and all of them worked right away. If you have a password set up for wifi you will need to enter it as well.

Perhaps you should not connect it to your mac and just use the power cable. Unlike the iPad, you do not need to synch to iTunes. It should just work straight out of the box.

If the wifi in your home is having issues, you may try walking down to your local coffee shop just to see if it works there.

Good luck.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-15-11 at 11:21 AM.
    10-15-11 11:13 AM
    I've purchased 4 Playbook tablets and they all worked smoothly. I hope you can get yours going.
    My best suggestion is to call the Playbook support line. Here it is:
    Call us 1-877-644-8410*

Good luck.
    10-15-11 11:16 AM

below 20% wont do setup?
    yes, the PB has internal settings that requires the PB to have a minimum charge of 20% before it will progress to completing the setup.
    10-15-11 11:33 AM
    thanks guys, i am going to the shop shortly.
    10-15-11 03:33 PM
    just came back from the store,all good now,got a new unit,found all the wifi instantly in the store. the old unit couldn't see any!

i guess i was just a bit lucky, first returned unit according to the sales!

btw, australia harvey norman still sells @ half price. 64G=$394 aud
    10-15-11 06:31 PM
    so i had the same problem on my 32gb... solution: smacked in on my thigh a couple of times, started picking more wifi's than my laptop!

its def a hardware problem with the wifi stuff. not sure if its a loose module or while... maybe bad solder joints.

but, yea... solution: physically abusing the crap out of it in a gentle way. lol
    03-06-12 11:24 PM
    i just got a blackberry playbook, the first time i tried to set up, i connected to a wireless network but it was interrupted.
    now i cant see any wireless network again, i cant connect to a router.
    i tried returning the device, but could not be collected since i no longer have the case(carton) again
    11-06-12 08:09 AM
    i just got a blackberry playbook, the first time i tried to set up, i connected to a wireless network but it was interrupted.
    now i cant see any wireless network again, i cant connect to a router.
    but i dont have the case again even if i wont to exchange.
    what should i do
    11-06-12 08:18 AM
    Install the Desktop Software on your computer. Then turn off the pb. Plug in the usb cable. You should get a prompt to Update or Repair. Do it. Good luck
    11-06-12 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD