my calendar application on my playbook has stopped working for about the last few months, and my messages app only works half the time.

and by 'not working' i mean that the application itself will just hang and never actually open. I've only synced my google calendar app to the PB calendar. my messages app contains a few gmail accounts, a hotmail, linkedin and twitter.

i was hoping the next update (today's) would help resolve this but alas!

any thoughts? someone mentioned using accounts.google.com/unlockcaptcha but given that i cant open the calendar app anyway, im stuck.

help would be appreciated.
    08-03-12 01:13 AM
    This (among others) is an ongoing problem with some PBs. No idea how many. Only solution is to reboot (I know, I know, it takes five minutes -- another issue). Since the most recent update, my email has not been crashing, or it can be relaunched without a reboot. Progress of a sort, I guess. But until the 30-day limit can be lifted and access to subfolders permitted, it's a very limited app.
    08-03-12 08:19 AM
    ya I've tried the reboot thing, but to no avail.

frustrating because one of the main reasons why I got the PB was for the calendar...

I thought this was a common issue because I know some people with the exact same problems
    08-03-12 12:39 PM
    Since updating to. 668 my emails haven't appeared on my PB. They're there when I open the app but are I'm not being notified by a noise/led/top left icon ect.
    Anyone know how to resolve this? My email is a hotmail account
    08-03-12 12:49 PM
    Native app or bridged app?
    08-03-12 01:07 PM
    The native app
    08-03-12 01:37 PM
    Ih ad that problem too. Only solution was security wipe. Unfortunately because of this glitch you can't back up app data so you will have to reinstall them all afterwards. You can back up media but (I found this out the hard way) you can't restore it. So don't back up the regular way, just transfer the files to a computer.
    08-03-12 03:07 PM
    my calendar application on my playbook has stopped working for about the last few months, and my messages app only works half the time.

and by 'not working' i mean that the application itself will just hang and never actually open. I've only synced my google calendar app to the PB calendar. my messages app contains a few gmail accounts, a hotmail, linkedin and twitter.

i was hoping the next update (today's) would help resolve this but alas!

any thoughts? someone mentioned using accounts.google.com/unlockcaptcha but given that i cant open the calendar app anyway, im stuck.

help would be appreciated.
    Try a debrick ; (YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR FILES IF YOU DONT BACKUP)

-turn of your PB
    -open DM
    -Connect PB
    -hit Debrick / Update
    08-03-12 03:47 PM
    gah was hoping I could avoid wiping...
    thanks will give er a go
    08-03-12 04:11 PM
    Not even wiping, I actually recommend you do a full backup and then do a debrick, skip the wipe. Sometimes the wipe gives you problems with restoring...
    08-03-12 08:50 PM
    I have the same issue. Were you able to get it to work?

KRS
    10-04-12 02:29 PM
    So after hours and hours of:
    - backing up
    - debricking
    - restoring backup (I have to do the 3 parts as the full backup/restore doesn't work)

I was able to open up my native calendar. Opened up just fine. Thinking I was in the clear, I added my work account (which is gmail based....not a gmail account, but hosted by Goggle.) Added Facebook. Went to open calendar and NOTHING. Just sits there like before. I removed ALL accounts and calendar still doesn't open. Crazy and very frustrating. I really rely on this calendar when traveling for work.

Sounds like it's the google account that I and Hoob have in common. Perhaps that's what['s breaking it?

KRS
    10-06-12 07:17 PM
    Try changing your view to weekly or month view in the settings,then close the calendar and reopen it. That worked for me to display month view.
    10-06-12 08:53 PM
    Had a similar issue after 2.1, solution ended up being a wipe (a debrick didn't do it, funny enough).The wipe pushed a 326mb update (where it usually only amounts to 10-30mb) during the setup and I can only assume it fixed my bad OS load.Give it a try.
    10-06-12 09:12 PM
    I just dumped Google calendar because when I integrated it to my native PB calendar app, it started duplicating all the entries that I had made via Google cal. Had to manually remove the duplicates/triplicates, after hours and hours of playing with the settings, reading forums, you know...

Perhaps if you try to use another calendar to synce with the PB, it would do?

I for my part decided to use plain Bridge cal, synced with my outlook cal (via Desktop Manager). Had to remove accounts, delete Google calendar, and many other tricks in order to clean the mess, but it seems to be going all right now.

Anyway, just to mention that Google cal did mess up everything for me, in any event.

Good luck!

p.s. Everything else seems to work perfectly fine on the PB, which is why I figured this problem had nothing to do with the OS update, even though I started to use the native PB calendar right after I updated to OS 2.1
    10-07-12 12:49 PM
    I think I am close to getting it working. I will report back when complete, but here are the steps that I have taken so far:

- security wipe
    - rebooted twice, then successfully open the calendar.
    - added gmail acount, but TURNED OFF calendar synch for account
    - opened up mail and let synch email, calendar opened as normal.
    - rebooted twice, then successfully open the calendar.
    - edited gmail account in PB settings and turned calendar on
    - opened calendar and let synch. Calendar worked and synched.
    - rebooted twice, then successfully open the calendar. All data still there

I have restored 2 of my 3 back up data sets, rebooted twice and calendar still worked. I will update this post when completely finished.

KRS
    10-08-12 02:16 PM
    Unfortunately, it seems as if the 3rd back up component (media/apps, I think) "breaks" the calendar. I restored the 3rd data set and held my breath when I went to open the calendar....no joy. So I did another security wipe.

So I am reloading all my apps, podcasts and moving movies and music over manually. I am very much a RIM/Playbook fan....but this situation certainly disappointed me. That said, I currently have a working calendar!

KRS
    10-09-12 01:41 PM
    Crackberrians:

Let us stay on the CALENDAR topic. I have bought 5 64 GB PBs for my family to video chat.
    My sons are in the IT business and strongly preferr Apple products. My daughter quickly
    Adapted to her PB, especially the CALENDAR function. You cannot imagine how upset
    This has made her and me. PLUS I look plain stupid. RIM cannot do this to casual/new
    Users who do not have the skill and experience many of you have. This simply cannot stand.
    It is beginning to appear that RIM cannot handle a simple OS update. The end may be near.
    Doc Neutron
    pickles#WP likes this.
    10-09-12 08:25 PM
    There is. BIG difference between us discussing and trying out the latest "release" and
    responding to a system icon saying that a new release may be obtained OTA. How can
    QNX step on the rim/house calendar entries? It seems to me that QNX is getting like
    The OS in the movie Tron. Security is critical, but this is ridiculous and must be immediately
    Fixed. Doc Neutron
    10-10-12 08:30 AM
    Crackberrians:

Let us stay on the CALENDAR topic.
    I thought that was the topic we were on???
    10-10-12 08:37 AM
    Yeah, well, in the original movie the OS decided it was so perfect that it didn't need users
    So it just disabled all interrupts. It is one thing for people like us to play with our PBs, but
    For professionals, things like onboard contacts and calendars must be protected thru OS
    Upgrades. How about putting them in the proverbial mayo jar, loading them from the jar,
    And triple checking them before release back to the user? Doc Neutron
    10-10-12 11:52 AM
    Hi All.
    The solution I found, no need to do a wipe to solve this issue.
    The Calendar is associated with a Mail Client that works through ActiveSync.
    To return to the normal operation of the Calendar, you must run the "Messages"!
    If you selected view All Accounts, select each in turn to determinewhich of the Accounts does not work. (Doesn't show folders, messages, etc.)
    The damaged Account you want to delete and create a new one!
    The Calendar works, does not even require rebooting.
    I have this error too. I was able to find a solution to this issue.
    Regards.
    Serge Zaretsky
    12-14-12 12:57 AM
    I also have a PB were the calendar does not open. Can you please go through your solution step by step.
    01-10-13 12:20 AM
    The steps I listed worked for me.

KRS
    01-10-13 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD