Need some help with a new Playbook.
    Rehash of an old problem but haven't found the solution in old posts so thought maybe there is a new solution out there.
    I was setting up a friend's new 32 gb PB. Everything went as it should till software download.It installed the OS (1.07xx) but when it restarted the PB didn't come on. All this time it was plugged into the wall charger.
    I tried the hard reset but the led would glow for a while and then nothing.
    Connected to the DM, and it recognised the PB and I clicked update. It again downloaded the software and did a clean install and asked to disconnect the PB. Again the PB stays off.
    Connected to the AC power supply and the green charging light comes on, but when I try to power on, same thing happens again.
    Tried the DM update route again with same results.
    Anyone has a different solution in mind, or is this a replacement case?
    Thing is this has been bought in the USA so my friend won't get warranty support in India, hence returning it is a painful and last resort option.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    By the way this is the first PB in 8 that I have had a problem with, so any trolls please go away.
    07-24-11 07:55 AM
    Have been following this?

Step 1: Connect your PlayBook to your PC via MicroUSB cable and open Desktop Manager
    Step 2: Backup your PlayBook! This install process is a CLEAN WIPE. You'll lose all data.
    Step 3: Within Desktop Manager, hit Device > Update on the menu.
    Step 4: No Update will be found. Just hit ok and go back to Desktop Manager homescreen.
    Step 5. From there, while still plugged in, Restart your PlayBook using the power button app.
    Step 6. A new popup window will appear giving you some options. Hit Update.
    Step 7: Let that baby update and you'll be on the latest software. Warning: it takes a while!
    07-24-11 08:12 AM
    Have been following this?

Step 1: Connect your PlayBook to your PC via MicroUSB cable and open Desktop Manager
    Step 2: Backup your PlayBook! This install process is a CLEAN WIPE. You'll lose all data.
    Step 3: Within Desktop Manager, hit Device > Update on the menu.
    Step 4: No Update will be found. Just hit ok and go back to Desktop Manager homescreen.
    Step 5. From there, while still plugged in, Restart your PlayBook using the power button app.
    Step 6. A new popup window will appear giving you some options. Hit Update.
    Step 7: Let that baby update and you'll be on the latest software. Warning: it takes a while!
    This is a new pb. Out of the box, so there is no data.
    Thing is it doesn't come on at all. So there is no option to check for update or to power on while connected to the PB.
    When the PB does connect to DM the DM says that this is a new PB and it needs to download the OS, and it does it . Done it twice already. But no joy.
    07-24-11 08:22 AM
    Have you tried step 5?
    07-24-11 08:35 AM
    Have you tried step 5?
    Yes. DM says that the PB is either rebooting so either press retry or update .
    I press update and it downloads the OS from QNX site and installs. Then asks to disconnect the PB amd let setup finish. But PB doesn't come on.
    07-24-11 09:28 AM
    Trip back to the retailer methinks...
    07-24-11 09:31 AM
    i think theres hardware issue on that unit.return it if you can
    07-24-11 09:32 AM
    Trip back to the retailer methinks...
    I guess you are right.
    Only problem is the retailer is 7400 miles away. . My friend is seriously bummed. And after all the build up I gave him for the PB, I feel a little responsible.
    Anyway he is in networking solutions, and the distributors for RIM in India need him as a client big time, so he has a line in to the top RIM guys in India.
    He will rattle a few bones tomorrow. Hopefully he will get warranty support in India for the US bought playbook.
    07-24-11 03:17 PM
    Yes. DM says that the PB is either rebooting so either press retry or update .
    I press update and it downloads the OS from QNX site and installs. Then asks to disconnect the PB amd let setup finish. But PB doesn't come on.
    This is one of the exact issues mine was having along with shutting off on it's on and not powering back on until it was plugged into the wall. It's currently with RIM being repaired.
    Mine would download updates just fine, but when it came to rebooting it would shut off then not turn back on aborting the update all together.
    Last edited by SmakBerry; 07-24-11 at 03:35 PM.
    07-24-11 03:30 PM
    This is one of the exact issues mine was having along with shutting off on it's on and not powering back on until it was plugged into the wall. It's currently with RIM being repaired.
    Mine would download updates just fine, but when it came to rebooting it would shut off then not turn back on aborting the update all together.
    Kind of a bummer when it happens.
    I have setup 8 playbooks and this has never happened before.
    Thing is when it happens to someone, the instant reaction is " should have bought an iPad".
    It becomes kind of hard to keep them in the Blackberry fold.
    Only reason my friend is still persisting is because he is a die hard BB phone user and the iPad is too big. He has an 11" Macbook Air, so the iPad doesn't really score on portability for him.
    07-24-11 03:59 PM
    Kind of a bummer when it happens.
    I have setup 8 playbooks and this has never happened before.
    Thing is when it happens to someone, the instant reaction is " should have bought an iPad".
    It becomes kind of hard to keep them in the Blackberry fold.
    Only reason my friend is still persisting is because he is a die hard BB phone user and the iPad is too big. He has an 11" Macbook Air, so the iPad doesn't really score on portability for him.
    Reality is, things go wrong with Ipads too. I know several people with Ipads with only a couple of them with zero issues (including light leakage and dead pixels). Things can happen no matter who the manufacturer is.
    Hope you are able to get the PB repaired without any issues.
    07-24-11 04:09 PM
    Reality is, things go wrong with Ipads too. I know several people with Ipads with only a couple of them with zero issues (including light leakage and dead pixels). Things can happen no matter who the manufacturer is.
    Hope you are able to get the PB repaired without any issues.
    Completely agree there.
    But somehow Apple marketing is such that they convince the user that it is the user's fault.
    07-24-11 04:36 PM
    Need some help with a new Playbook.
    Rehash of an old problem but haven't found the solution in old posts so thought maybe there is a new solution out there.
    I was setting up a friend's new 32 gb PB. Everything went as it should till software download.It installed the OS (1.07xx) but when it restarted the PB didn't come on. All this time it was plugged into the wall charger.
    I tried the hard reset but the led would glow for a while and then nothing.
    Connected to the DM, and it recognised the PB and I clicked update. It again downloaded the software and did a clean install and asked to disconnect the PB. Again the PB stays off.
    Connected to the AC power supply and the green charging light comes on, but when I try to power on, same thing happens again.
    Tried the DM update route again with same results.
    Anyone has a different solution in mind, or is this a replacement case?
    Thing is this has been bought in the USA so my friend won't get warranty support in India, hence returning it is a painful and last resort option.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    By the way this is the first PB in 8 that I have had a problem with, so any trolls please go away.
    By hard reset, do you mean holding down just the power button, or all three power and + and - volumes buttons at the same time? How are you "hard resetting"?
    07-24-11 05:17 PM
    A little off topic but does the playbook led stay light when it's charging? Most of the threads I read kinda pointed to that but want to make sure.

It does sound like the op might need a replacement.
    07-24-11 06:07 PM
    this sounds like the problems many were having with the very first OS install. The same reason 900 were recalled.
    07-24-11 06:16 PM
    try charging it for an hour then attempt the os install from dm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-11 06:22 PM
    Right, so a little update on the situation:
    I took my friend's PB home and charged it overnight. By morning the LED was steady green, so I tried to power the device but it didn't come on. Tried a hard reset for the umpteenth time but same result.
    I just left it there and went for work. In the evening my friend came over and he called RIM customer support. They gave us the same solutions that I had gone through the day before. Anyway we tried things their way but nothing worked. So just for a lark I connected it to the wall charger and did a hard reset and the device came on.
    It just booted up, downloaded a small 25 mb file and was good to go.
    My friend was kicked and he got down to downloading stuff. Did the NFS upgrade and he restarted the PB, and guess what, it died again. Refused to come on.
    So he left for his home, and called back an hour later that the PB woke up while he was driving.
    This is real strange behaviour. Anyone have any clues?
    07-25-11 03:58 PM
    If you plug into the wall charger again will it turn on? Its only shutting off when not plugged in and will not boot up off the charger?

07-25-11 04:09 PM
    If you plug into the wall charger again will it turn on? Its only shutting off when not plugged in and will not boot up off the charger?

No that's not the case. It just doesn't like to be re-started.
    It restarted once just fine. Then froze. And came on on its own without anyone doing anything to it.
    If its not restarted, then it is completely usable and works just fine.
    07-25-11 04:18 PM
    Oh I see, ok. Mine wouldn't restart either. But I also had the issues I listed previously.
    Keep us posted on the pb

07-25-11 04:30 PM
    Oh I see, ok. Mine wouldn't restart either. But I also had the issues I listed previously.
    Keep us posted on the pb

Well I will try a DM wipe and reload of OS tomorrow. I have a suspicion that the first OS download out of the box somehow got corrupted.
    Lets see how it goes.
    Otherwise back to RIM support.
    07-25-11 04:34 PM
    So final update. The PB sorted itself out and no problems now.
    I guess there were some unboxing gremlins at work.
    07-26-11 07:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD