hi all, i have a tv with dvi hdtv output, i was looking online for a mini hdmi to dvi cord and i have found some.

my questions is will their be a lower quality compared to regular mini hdmi to hdmi?

can anyone confirm it works with playbook?

any recommended sites to get mini hdmi to dvi?
    01-09-12 07:27 PM
    I bought an adapter from amazon. Mini HDMI to full size HDMI. It cost about 3 or 4 bucks and works great. HDMI is digital. It either works or it doesn't. The quality of a hundred dollar cable and a 5 dollar will be the same. Now I know a bunch of people that paid 100 bucks for their cables will disagree with me but it's true.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    01-09-12 07:55 PM
    HDMI is just DVI + audio, there's absolutely no difference between the two in terms of picture.

Personally I'd buy a separate cable + adapter. A DVI male to HDMI female adapter which effectively gives your TV an HDMI port. Combine it with a Micro HDMI to HDMI cable. That way when you're using your PB somewhere else you can just remove the adapter and have an HDMI plug, while still being compatible with your TV at home. Because of the digital signal there is absolutely no change in picture quality.
    croanthony likes this.
    01-09-12 08:03 PM
    I bought an adapter from amazon. Mini HDMI to full size HDMI. It cost about 3 or 4 bucks and works great. HDMI is digital. It either works or it doesn't. The quality of a hundred dollar cable and a 5 dollar will be the same. Now I know a bunch of people that paid 100 bucks for their cables will disagree with me but it's true.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

could you post the exact one u got?
    01-09-12 08:05 PM
    First of all the Playbook is a MICRO not MINI HDMI connection.

DVI will work but you will probably will have to run the sound through some separate speakers via the Earphones socket on the playbook 3.5mm jack.

If you cant get a MICRO HDMI to DVI get a MINI and buy a HDMI MINI to MIRCO adapter.

Better still get a new TV

Hope that helps!
    01-09-12 08:13 PM
    HDMI is just DVI + audio, there's absolutely no difference between the two in terms of picture.

Personally I'd buy a separate cable + adapter. A DVI male to HDMI female adapter which effectively gives your TV an HDMI port. Combine it with a Micro HDMI to HDMI cable. That way when you're using your PB somewhere else you can just remove the adapter and have an HDMI plug, while still being compatible with your TV at home. Because of the digital signal there is absolutely no change in picture quality.
    thabk you, sound advice, will buy from your links, would hug u if saw you (no homo)
    01-09-12 08:21 PM
    i get my cables from monoprice.com. they sell at a goid price.the high end monster cables you dont need unless the cable you're using is greater than 15feet.
    01-09-12 08:28 PM

will it play sound?if not whatcable will i need ican add it to my order rightnow
    01-09-12 08:31 PM
    Just purchased and received a micro to hdmi for 35 cents on amazon! Very nice quality and I was pretty sure I could risk it.
    Came with gold connectors too!

Posted from my CrackBook at Crackberry.com
    Last edited by albee 1; 01-09-12 at 09:07 PM.
    01-09-12 08:53 PM
    will it play sound?if not whatcable will i need ican add it to my order rightnow
    DVI doesn't carry audio so you'll need a cable from the PB's headphone jack to your stereo/TV. You'll probably want something like For only $3.06 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 10ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black | Premium 3.5mm to RCA Audio Cables . Most TVs use the RCA style connectors for sound. You'd have to take a look at the back of your TV and confirm though, some use 3.5mm jacks. If you're not sure take a picture of the DVI port on your TV and the area around it and post it here, it should be easily for me to tell from the photo.

You may already have one of the cables I linked. They're used for connecting all sorts of portable devices (iPod, phones, etc) to stereos.
    croanthony likes this.
    01-09-12 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD