OK so if the Playbook will be linked with another Blackberry via Bluetooth would the Playbook work with any BB on any network of only VZ? I feel certain it will only be VZ but how would the restriction work if it is Bluetooth?
    10-17-10 06:42 PM
    Bluetooth is compatible with any network. It doesnt matter what network you are on, if that answers your question
    10-17-10 09:18 PM
    I'm curious as to how you came to think that it would only work on VZW's network?

Yes, it would work on any carrier to answer your question.
    10-17-10 09:31 PM
    I don't know, just thought that VZ being VZ they would have some way to keep you on their network somehow. That is why I asked, because I really don't know how Blue Tooth works. So VZ would just have a exclusive on selling the Playbooks but nothing else, correct? If I own a AT&T Bold, it would work with the VZ Playbook via Blue Tooth. Nice!
    Last edited by CSI Guy; 10-17-10 at 11:00 PM.
    10-17-10 10:18 PM
    So Bluetooth is somewhat like a short distance wifi?
    10-17-10 10:41 PM
    what does VZW have to do with anything?
    10-17-10 10:49 PM
    I don't know howarmat, just asking. Like I said I don't really know how bluetooth works except for a headset for my phone. But from the folks that responded it appears that no matter what network you have AT&T, TMobile, etc. you should be able to hook up the Playbook via a Bold. Good design from RIM I think. Good Marketing and lots of sales I think.
    10-17-10 11:03 PM
    Bluetooth works a bit like infrared for remotes only, instead of a direct link, where you have to point the remote at the object, it's spherical in wave so you can move around. It transfers data like WiFi, albeit slower as I understand it. I'm no expert myself.
    The other aspect is that we really don't know much about the PlayBook. It seems that when it is hooked to A BB, it shows the screen from the BB. Not sure if you can have it show it's own stuff or not.

Bluetooth has nothing to do with carriers.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 12:46 AM
    So VZ would just have a exclusive on selling the Playbooks but nothing else, correct?
    The PlayBook won't be tied to carriers at all. You'll be able to use bluetooth to connect it to a BlackBerry, but the PlayBook itself won't be sold exclusively through carriers, won't come with a contract, won't be locked to a network, etc.

That's why everyone is confused by your questions. You're asking things with the presumption is a Verizon device, but it's not. It's like a laptop or an iPod, it's a device bought outright at somewhere like Best Buy.
    10-18-10 03:10 AM
    OK OK now I get it, thanks folks. I will jump on this Playbook as soon as it comes out.
    10-18-10 06:53 AM
    So, can you Bluetooth it to an iPhone?
    10-25-10 06:20 AM
    So, can you Bluetooth it to an iPhone?
    I don't see why you couldn't pair them, but it wouldn't be very useful. I don't expect tethering will work based on what I've seen in the simulator. You could maybe use the iPhone's audio profiles to play audio from your iPhone through your PlayBook's speakers. Provided of course that you had an appropriate PlayBook app. But that's about all I can see.
    10-25-10 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD