Hi there guys,

So basically I'm using Mac and downloaded Handbrake to help convert the DVD rips which were .avi but didnt have sound on them. Tried finding help online and was told to use Handbrake to convert the audio on these to mp3(.lame).

Had some difficulty as didn't know what to choose on Handbrake but just messed around and after around 1 hour managed to convert it - however it played double the speed on the playbook? It works fine with normal speed when i play on my mac though. The file is now a .mp4 file btw. Tried this with 2 diff videos and both the same results.

Can someone help me configure handbrake pls like what to change when i start or at least tell me what i did wrong?

Thanks!
    03-13-12 06:55 PM
    well..um using this program on windows 7 ..i change nothin ...just convert it on regular ..normal..

and make it mp4..
    03-13-12 07:08 PM
    Try Freemake. Seems easier.
    03-13-12 07:10 PM
    well..um using this program on windows 7 ..i change nothin ...just convert it on regular ..normal..

and make it mp4..
    thanks for your help. ideally want someone with mac to help out. dont understand when u mean u dun change nothing. if u dun change nothing then how does it select what audio and video file it converts to? care to explain pls?
    03-13-12 07:15 PM

and make it mp4..
    thanks for your help. ideally prefer if someone who uses mac help as well.

dont understnad when u say u change nothing. if u dont change anything how will it know what audio and video format to convert to? care to explain?

thanks
    03-13-12 07:16 PM
    thanks for the input. will try that if no one can help with handbrake
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-13-12 07:18 PM
    free make not available for mac
    03-13-12 07:35 PM
    People should try VLC Player. VideoLAN - VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS!. Convert anything you want to almost any format you want. Plus no need to install multiple program cos VLC will cover everything!!

Downside is that the video takes a longg time to convert.. 1hr video = 1hr conversion time.

- Charles
    Last edited by chaddeus; 03-13-12 at 09:06 PM.
    03-13-12 08:20 PM
    So basically I'm using Mac and downloaded Handbrake to help convert the DVD rips which were .avi but didnt have sound on them.
    Wait, the ripped AVI's have no audio in them?

There are presets for the output format. Once you pick the right one, the profile takes care of audio and video codecs. It will also resize the vid to the appropriate screen resolution to reduce the file size.
    03-13-12 09:16 PM
    here is my own video parameters i selected for playbook by using pavtube DVD ripper for mac, the converted video is just what i want,

video codec: h.264
    resolution:1024*600
    bitrate:2000
    frame rate: 29.97
    audio codec: aac
    sample rate: 44100

for you reference
    ungibbed likes this.
    03-14-12 03:50 AM
    I've been using Handbrake for my Mac and using the iPad profile. I only have a 16GB model but so far, so good. I only wish that the PlayBook video player would support chapters and the ability to remember playback state instead of starting the movie over.
    03-14-12 04:10 AM

There are presets for the output format. Once you pick the right one, the profile takes care of audio and video codecs. It will also resize the vid to the appropriate screen resolution to reduce the file size.
    Resolution has no bearing on file size. Its the bitrate. I encode blurays @ 1080 to 700mb.
    OP I haven't ever used handbrake but do you have nero, roxio or vlc? What did you rip the dvd with? Your dvd rip shoulda be a vob. Sounds like you done a double convertion. I use other software tell me whatcha got and I'll tell ya how to do it. If you don't have anything else I'll dl handbrake a get back with you. You don't want to double encode. You really start to lose quality.
    PM me if ya want to.
    03-14-12 11:14 AM

the ripped avi had audio but not supported by playbook. video was fine but no sound on the playbook. after i used handbrake to change audio to .lame mp3, it worked fine on the mac but when i plyed it using playbook everything was double speed
    03-14-12 07:25 PM
    I've been using Handbrake for my Mac and using the iPad profile. I only have a 16GB model but so far, so good. I only wish that the PlayBook video player would support chapters and the ability to remember playback state instead of starting the movie over.
    so if i just change using ipad profile it should work?
    03-14-12 07:27 PM
    Resolution has no bearing on file size. Its the bitrate. I encode blurays @ 1080 to 700mb.
    OP I haven't ever used handbrake but do you have nero, roxio or vlc? What did you rip the dvd with? Your dvd rip shoulda be a vob. Sounds like you done a double convertion. I use other software tell me whatcha got and I'll tell ya how to do it. If you don't have anything else I'll dl handbrake a get back with you. You don't want to double encode. You really start to lose quality.
    PM me if ya want to.
    i've got vlc but not the rest. i didnt rip the dvd myself - waht i meant was downloading a dvd rip of a movie of a torrent. so no idea what a vob is. it'll be great if u could walk me through handbrake!

Ffoeg likes this.
    03-14-12 07:28 PM
    Freemake does a good job.. Plus it has inbuilt settings for PlayBook.
    03-15-12 03:27 AM
    i've got vlc but not the rest. i didnt rip the dvd myself - waht i meant was downloading a dvd rip of a movie of a torrent. so no idea what a vob is. it'll be great if u could walk me through handbrake!
    Aight I've encoded a couple movies through out the nite. No don't use any of the profiles. I don't have a mac so bare w/ me. Hopefully things are close to the same.
    Let's get some things out of the way. Vob is the container that is used to play mpeg2 video files on dvd players. Mp4 is a container used to play media files on several media players. Mostly mobile units but some dvd players support mp4 playback.
    Dvd standard has a Resolution of <720x480. You can raise the resolution to play on things like tablets but it looks so awful. What your doing is stretching the picture. I've played with it for yrs now. Don't do it. If you want the same resolution of your tablet use a bluray source. Bluray standard is >720.
    Here we go. Input your source. Input your destination. Output settings:
    Container:mp4/mkv doesn't really matter I your only going to play it on your playbook.
    In the bottom window you'll see window tabs picture,video filters, video, audio, subtitles, chapters advanced.
    Picture: leave alone unless need to do some cropping.
    Video filters:leave alone
    Video:video codec x264, framerate same as source, quality constant quality.
    Audio:
    The 1st tab has all the audio tracks provided by your source. Select which one you want. Or select add tracks and select all.
    2nd tab select what you want the audio to be. Select aac.I use ffmpeg.
    That's it. Que it and then start. Let me know if this helps.don't hesitate to ask questions. I did 6 movies tonite. I set the setting the first time and they stayed the same. So all you might have to do in the future is select the audio track. In my case the movie's audio track was on the top each time so you might not even have to do that.
    About your source. Its best to do your own ripping. Like I said earlier you use quilty everystep you take.
    03-15-12 05:17 AM
    If you decide to convert higher resolution source look at the bottom right corner and select add. Name the profile whatever you want. I.E. PlayBook. Set resolution to 1024x600, make sure audio is aac then save unless you want to play with bitrate. If you do tell me what size file you want and I tell ya what bitrate to use.I hope this helps.
    03-15-12 11:09 AM
    Thanks for this thread. I experimented with a number of options. Freemake seemed to work just fine and the resulting video plays using the native Playbook movie player. I'm very happy with VLC for Windows 7 and would try that for Playbook when available (since it avoids the conversion step).
    03-15-12 11:01 PM
    Freemake does a good job.. Plus it has inbuilt settings for PlayBook.
    I dont see the settings for the playbook, only the torch. What version are you using?
    06-08-12 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD