I have had my playbook since April 22nd, 2011. For the most part I love it. I wish I could Skype with my family, or annotate PDF docs, but have been able to convince myself to deal with these niggling issues while I wait for POS2.

There is one thing that really bugs me though: Ever since June I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO BACK UP MY PLAYBOOK! Every time I sign on to desktop manager and try to back up, it hangs and I get the error message "there appears to have been a problem backing up your device"...etc. Oddly, it will connect no problem, and it will sync media files with no problem. But if I ever have to security wipe my device, I have to manually drag-and-drop all of my files onto my desktop, and I lose all of my app data.

Has anyone else had this problem? And does anyone know of any solutions/workarounds for this? I have about 40 apps, so having to re-download them all, and losing all of my in-app data is a real pain.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by kcmagnet; 02-17-12 at 08:17 PM.
    02-17-12 08:14 PM
    I have the exact same problem. I've found tbat if I deselect Application Data and only back up the other two items, it will complete the back minus the app data. This has been driving me insane. I'm hoping it gets resolved in 2.0
    02-17-12 09:23 PM
    Search the forums there are quite a few others with the same problems..
    vespajet likes this.
    02-17-12 09:28 PM
    There are many threads about this issue. It's hit and miss getting it to work and seems to be caused by apps with many files associated with them - there was a recipe box app that was identified as one of them. Might be a problem with DM timing out before the pb can get the data packaged properly for backup. Doing custom backups of Settings and then AppData separately seems to work for me. Settings backs up with no problem; for AppData I have to try repeatedly (7x seems to be my magic number) and then it finally backs up. I drag and drop my media files manually. Hoping OS2 fixes this issue as many are having problems.
    02-17-12 09:31 PM
    First a question - do you have a recipe program or xxx-maps-on-device-gps - those programs have been implicated in causing problems as DM has a problem with large file suites.

Next, I have recently found that if I am persistent, trying it again and again, it actually sometimes works. But what I've also found is that if I close programs on my DESKTOP computer it may have a tendency to work more often. Also close out stuff on the pb so nothing is running on it. But the backup file created by DM is one HUGE ZIP file and so it is churning through the apps and data on your playbook and trying to compress all of it into zip format. I think that may be why the programs with a large number of files (I referred to suites above) may be the problem. DM times out trying to stuff/zip stuff into the archive.

I did do a Security Wipe since, I, too, could not back up from June until Dec. Finally gave in. And you are right - a total pain to restore 20gigs of files and also lots of apps.
    02-17-12 09:38 PM
    Running out of patience trying to find a fix, but am going to keep trying for a bit, if all fails, i've decided I'll just backup my media, pdfs, and word docs. As for application data, It sucks to lose saved progress and such as apps, but just going to look at it as starting fresh.
    02-20-12 03:15 PM
    OS2 plus Desktop Manager 7 seems to have fixed it. Thank goodness.
    02-24-12 07:34 PM
    Four failures and counting.
    02-24-12 08:25 PM
    OS2 plus Desktop Manager 7 seems to have fixed it. Thank goodness.
    Where do you find ver. 7? Ver 6.1 is the latest I can find.
    02-24-12 08:27 PM
    Where do you find ver. 7? Ver 6.1 is the latest I can find.
    Here ya go...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ropped-697507/
    02-24-12 08:44 PM
    I backed up my Playbook and my 9650 a couple of days ago with no problem. DM 7
    02-24-12 08:56 PM
    I have had the PB since April 2011 and have never been able to back it up. I have tried both MAC and PC. Tonite I finally made it work on the MAC. Here is what I did. I have the latest version of Desktop Software, ver. 2.3.0. Select Preferences in the drop down menus and then click on reset backup location. The backup location remains the same but then the backup works. Hopefully this will help someone else. Still working on the PC.
    02-24-12 11:52 PM
    Glad you got it working hackerguy! And good tips too.. thanks!
    02-24-12 11:59 PM
    I've been trying to back up my playbook for 2 days now and on different PC's and it looks like it's something in the applications. I did a three stage approach... backed up my settings only first - no problem - then another back up of media only - no problem - but it failed on the applications backup. So there is something within the application dataset that is faulting the back-up. i've also did a PC drag and drop of my file structure to be sure I've backed up what I can.
    01-21-13 01:13 PM
    I've been trying to back up my playbook for 2 days now and on different PC's and it looks like it's something in the applications. I did a three stage approach... backed up my settings only first - no problem - then another back up of media only - no problem - but it failed on the applications backup. So there is something within the application dataset that is faulting the back-up. i've also did a PC drag and drop of my file structure to be sure I've backed up what I can.
    Well, I have been unsuccessful doing a backup until this morning. I followed the advice to turn off both wifi and BT (bt might not be necessary). And I got a 6gig backup finally completed.

I wonder if being connected to wifi, might keep some files or indexing or some-such running and that interferes with the backup. As noted above, some apps can create issues. One was a cooking app from ages ago. I know a mapping program I had also interfered - that might have been because it created a folder of 47,000 files.

Good luck.
    01-21-13 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD