• 3 Post By peter9477
  • 1 Post By xACiD
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Help with Battery Guru

I downloaded it today.

Can someone please help me understand how this program works?

Thanks.
    Thanked by:
    peter9477 (02-28-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hello,

It would be better to explain what you don't get, as Battery Guru is pretty straightforward. It takes a reading every 2 mins of your battery and show you the result either with a graph or a text file. Then it's up to you to figure out the result, but there again, nothing complicated
    Or so I think.
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

i guess I wasnt understanding the graph.

I was wondering if there was a way of the program showing you what in particular eats up the most amount of battery.
    Thanked by:
    JGP92 (11-05-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

With the app open, swipe down from the top and click the link. From that webpage click on battery guru and there is an explanation of what your seeing.
    Thanked by:
    peter9477 (02-28-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessMan View Post
    i guess I wasnt understanding the graph.

I was wondering if there was a way of the program showing you what in particular eats up the most amount of battery.
    Battery Guru is a measure of the health of your battery, not what is using your battery. But Peter, the guy who developed the app, will probably be along sometime today to explain it best.

For what uses up all your battery power, its pretty much the same as with any battery powered device.

Videos are big battery hogs. So is leaving on wfi and bluetooth. If you don't need your wifi on, turn it off and it will save a bit on the battery power. If not using bluetooth, do the same.

The brighter your screen, the more battery power it uses. Turning down the brightness will also save on battery power.

Heavy game apps such as Need for Speed with HD are probably bigger battery hogs than most apps.
    peter9477 likes this.

It does not specify what apps are using power. There is additional info on the power consumption of some average functions such as backlight, gps, etc available from his site.
    ralfyguy and peter9477 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

It is also a very useful app to confirm your battery charger is working. The magnetic quick charger and charging cradles in particular can be a bit fiddly at times and show a charge icon on the playbook battery icon, but may not actually be charging. I use BatteryGuru every evening as I connect my rapid charger to charge the PlayBook overnight.

As for finding out which apps are using the power, you could try taking a few battery readings, start the app, taking a few battery more readings and then stop the app and take some more readings.
    Thanked by:
    peter9477 (02-28-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

The page F2 refers to was probably this one, which I think I actually haven't linked into the main site yet, silly me: PlayBook: Power Consumption

Thanks everyone for your support here. It's wonderful users like you folks who pushed Battery Guru up to #11 yesterday on the Top Paid list! (That, and RIM splitting the games out to their own list, which helped a whole lot. :-) ) For an app which RIM will never feature (policy apparently precludes promoting battery monitoring apps, as it might suggest the battery life isn't as good as people would like), that's pretty motivating.

TheNamelessMan, as noted above you can't directly find how much power various things use. Battery Guru can report only what the OS itself reports, as our apps are severely constrained in terms of what information they have access to. I've done the best I could with what's available (using undocumented APIs in fact) but to get the sort of info you'd like takes some real elbow grease. I've tried to do some of that in the post I just linked to, but there's certainly room for others to add to that and refine the information.

Basically you have to try to achieve stable conditions for a period of more than a couple of minutes, and watch for (preferably) two updates. They happen only once every two minutes, and there's no way to speed that up either. Make notes, watch the readings, try to keep things stable enough that the data is useful, then change to a new set of conditions and do it all over again. It takes time, I'm afraid, but as you can see it is possible to gradually extract meaningful data in many cases, if you're patient.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by 2:
    Harryl6134 (05-18-2012),  jafobabe (02-28-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

lol I just realized that you're supposed to keep batteryguru running for it to work. is there any way to minimize it though? without having it behind another app

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Current: BlackBerry Q10 | RIM BlackBerry PlayBook (64GB) | Google Nexus 7 (16GB)

Retired Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note II | RIM BlackBerry Bold 9930 | HTC Thunderbolt 4G LTE | RIM BlackBerry Bold 9650 | HTC Droid Incredible | RIM BlackBerry Bold 9000 | HTC Touch Pro | AT&T Tilt | Cingular 8125

Retired Tablets: Motorola XOOM
    jpash549 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xACiD View Post
    lol I just realized that you're supposed to keep batteryguru running for it to work. is there any way to minimize it though? without having it behind another app
    I think what you're asking is if it can be truly "in the background" with no visible window. The answer is an unfortunate "no", since the operating system does not provide the ability for third-party apps to do this at this time. That capability will probably not be here until after the launch of BB10, I'm afraid. Wish there were some other option.

Battery Guru does work perfectly well minimized, however, unlike many apps, even if you have the application behaviour setting set to Paused or Default. It doesn't use measurable extra power itself, and minimal memory, and will keep recording even when the device is in Standby, so other than the minor annoyance of having the window open it shouldn't get in your way much.
    Last edited by peter9477; 05-18-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Just Pin It.

Peter thank you for a most excellent app.
    Last edited by Zildjian71; 07-20-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Spelling...
    To resist the influence of others the knowledge of oneself is of most importance.

Teal'c on Stargate SG-1 Season 9 Episode 14

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xACiD View Post

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    You'll get used to leaving the window open. I've had it since it was released and have it open always. The only time I consciously notice it is if one of my kids closes it. It's my main way of checking my battery level at a glance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    970 Global Posts

Is there any standard or typical profiles that one can review to determine if the battery usage in standby (with/without wifi, with/without bluetooth) is normal?

My cousin is having a recent problem with excessive battery drain with his 32 gb PB overnight from fully being charged. He only has it in standby mode with the BT and WiFi turned off .. yet he's he's losing 13% when turning it on in the morning which I think is high. I just wanted to compare what he's seeing with expected drain rates to help root cause the problem he's experiencing and was hoping that Battery Guru could help.
    CrackBerry Master

So, i dld Battery Guru last week.

I guess it can run "closed" since i didnt had the app running and still it counted the spent battery and showed it and the power spendings at the graphic...

How do i open those CSV's??

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    Im sexy and i know it! ("Music? What music?")
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    970 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBorgas View Post
    So, i dld Battery Guru last week.

I guess it can run "closed" since i didnt had the app running and still it counted the spent battery and showed it and the power spendings at the graphic...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    If it's a standard "comma separated variable file", you should be able to import it into a spreadsheet program like MS Excel.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBorgas View Post
    In the PB browser, type: file:///accounts/1000/shared/documents/BatteryGuru

This will present a list of all the .csv's generated by Battery Guru; click on the file name to see the contents.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dugggggg View Post

This will present a list of all the .csv's generated by Battery Guru; click on the file name to see the contents.
    Thanks for the info, I was wondering how to view data (file manager does not see folder). A note to others this string is case sensitive.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts

There is a free csv viewer in the app world. Load it and it will give you a list of Battery Guru files you can choose from.There is also a csv editor for a small sum ($ 0.99 ) in the app world. I have struggled with loading the csv file into Excel 2010. Basically you have to convert to notepad and load that in a special way. Since you get a row every rwo minutes if you have three hours worth of data you have ninety rows- a lot to look at. I assume Peter has developed good techniques for plotting and analyzing the data. The plot shown on screen in Battery Guru is very helpful.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 10-04-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by LeKeiser View Post
    Hello,

It would be better to explain what you don't get, as Battery Guru is pretty straightforward. It takes a reading every 2 mins of your battery and show you the result either with a graph or a text file. Then it's up to you to figure out the result, but there again, nothing complicated
    Or so I think.
    _______

What may be uncomplicated to you can still be complicated to others, although I agree that there's a certain amount of intuition needed in understanding Battery Guru. But no one has explained to me why I do not see a graph on my Battery Guru screen. No one has explained to me (Peter?) the significance of Power (sure, Power = Voltage x Watt, so what? and what does 1W or .75W mean to the health of the battery)? I have not exported to CSV. is this why I do not have a graph?

Remember the old army adage: when you assume something you make an *** of u and me (no pun intended, and no hard feelings)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by dugggggg View Post

______

What is the purpose of the CSV (comma separated variable)? So the file can be exported to Excel, but of what use is that? Is it to view a history of battery performance and charge? Just asking.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,056 Global Posts
    New Phone: Iphone 4s, Old Phones: Blackberry Z10, Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sold), Iphone 4 (Used By Family)
    LTE Playbook 32gb (Dec 2012), OS version is 1753.
    On Rogers Service

"When in doubt, buy a laptop"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,056 Global Posts

It is now at Engenuity: PlayBook Apps for app info the link in battery guru is old.
    New Phone: Iphone 4s, Old Phones: Blackberry Z10, Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sold), Iphone 4 (Used By Family)
    LTE Playbook 32gb (Dec 2012), OS version is 1753.
    On Rogers Service

"When in doubt, buy a laptop"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts

Default CSV file use in Battery Guru

The PB battery has a nominal capacity of 19.95 watts which in current terms is 5400 milliamp-hrs. Thus if you are averaging a power usage of 3 watts you should get a little over 6 hours use from your battery. Most people will not have any need to refer to the CSV file but battery guru makes it available to those who like to play with numbers and it might prove helpful to the tech proficient in trouble shooting. Nothing mysteriious about CSV files as they are often used in data base applications. The PB has an app CSV viewer which can be use to look at this type of file. I am attaching a screen shot of one of my Battery Guru files using this app. The only really useful piece of information not shown in the Battery Guru application might be the temperature reading. Peter could this be added?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with Battery Guru-img_00000789.jpg  
    CrackBerry Abuser

I prefer data on the here-and-now, such as Battery life, number of charges, percentage of charge.