Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpash549
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Help: apps running in background

Hi,

I installed an app called Advanced App Manager (AAM) which can show you when closed apps keep running in background and allows you to kill the processes.

When I first ran AAM, I was surprised to discover that several apps (about 5) were indeed reported as still running, even though I hadn't used some of them in weeks. All were Android apps: Most sideloaded, but also one that came from AppWorld (the BB Forums app).

I killed all the processes through AAM. But what's really weird is, when I run AAM again, some of those apps sometimes appear again, even though I've not used them at all since killing them, or even used the tablet at all. It's as if they load themselves up in memory on their own...
    This has so far happened with the BB Forums app as well as with Kingsoft Office (sideloaded).

Does anybody have an explanation for this?
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    65,308 Global Posts

Maybe your app manager is stupid?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Maybe your app manager is stupid?
    (At least you didnt suggest I was...)

Could be. But even then, hard to explain how it would "see things"...
    Do you know a smart one ?
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: Help: apps running in background

Sideload AVG antivirus, its task killer works great.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks. I'll look it up.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: Help: apps running in background

I'll only comment to say that I wish we knew more about how these various Android apps function? In the background, in the foreground and how they interact/interface with the pb's Notification system. I've also noticed oddball behavior and I would like to know more.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    599 Global Posts

On my android phone and tablet multiple apps (up to ten sometimes) are constantly loading themselves up in the background. The task killer gets rid of them but they soon load up again. Horrible bloated piles of gack those devices (private data trackers) are. I think it is normal on that platform.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,035 Global Posts

Since I don't sideload apps can't comment on the latest problem in whicb Advanced App Manager fails to permanently kill these apps. I suspect the apps have something like a relaunch on startup feature. When you install the sideloaded apps do they show up as services? Also available in BB World is Quick App Manager which lists all the Android apps loaded from BBWorld. If you press and hold on the app icon it displays an option named Deatail (sic) which allows you to see certain things about an app including whether it launchs by default. This might be useful.

If you go to gear/About: Hardware and look down the list you will see Free Memory. My observation is that when certain apps are closed by whisking them off the screen the portion of free memory they were using is not relinquished. Also have posted on weird behaviour when apps with keep awake features are minimized. Seems the current OS has glitches in memory management. Hope BB 10 can handle it better.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Just Pin It.

BB10 on the PB will be nothing more than a more sophisticated user interface on top of the same QNX OS.

There's still a lot to be improved on this implementation of the base OS besides eye candy. Research QNX and you'll see it can do a lot more than this.
    To resist the influence of others the knowledge of oneself is of most importance.

Teal'c on Stargate SG-1 Season 9 Episode 14

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Well, I sideloaded AVG but can't find any options other than to scan... There's only a blank screen with a pill-looking logo and then text saying "press screen to scan or menu for more options", but I don't see a menu anywhere. Maybe I don't have the right version of the BAR, as the link above didn't work and I googled for it instead?

Otherwise, I also installed Quick App Manager, and the apps which I mentioned above (Kingsoft and CB Forums) don't seem to be set for auto launch.

Apart from that, no Android app has auto-started since yesterday. I just rebooted the tablet, tried again with AAM, and only the native email was reported as running in background. That could be normal I guess; though I don't have any account configured, so I'm not sure what it's trying to do...
    Then I played with the AVG app, then checked AAM again: Not only was AVG reported as running, but also the (native?) navigator, which I haven't used at all. Puzzling...
    I'll keep checking it out from time to time to see if it happens again.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by angkorbeer View Post
    I just rebooted the tablet, tried again with AAM, and only the native email was reported as running in background.
    That's not native email- it's android Email, which is part of the android runtime. Normally, android Email will not run unless and until you start any app in the android player.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    PIN
    75E06EB6

auto task killer and most task killer apps will also show cached apps which arent actually running or taking up battery, it lets them start faster when you use them and killing them means theyll take longer to load next time theyre opened. Why you don't need a task killer - Android Forums this is for android, im not sure if the same stuff happens with the z10 or not
    I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
    I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by angkorbeer View Post
    Well, I sideloaded AVG but can't find any options other than to scan... There's only a blank screen with a pill-looking logo and then text saying "press screen to scan or menu for more options", but I don't see a menu anywhere. Maybe I don't have the right version of the BAR, as the link above didn't work and I googled for it instead?
    Swipe from the top to open the menu and press on tools, you will see the task killer option.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Blackman91 View Post
    Swipe from the top to open the menu and press on tools, you will see the task killer option.
    D'oh!

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

An update:

After several days of monitoring, apart from services which seem to be running normally, like "Android App", "Android Task Bar" and the agenda, there's only Kingsoft Office which constantly reappears, no matter if I don't use it and even kill it. (The CB Forums app did too, but I've uninstalled since.) I don't have a clue why that one app would need to load itself up like that, but I just hope it's not consuming too much resources...
    CrackBerry Addict

What does the app Kingsoft Office do to run everytime in the background? That would be useful for other android apps on the playbook like whats app and applock, any dev would care to provide an explanation?