1st movie in with Freemake, working on the 2nd...
    03-04-12 05:23 PM
    I thought it was 24 hrs only.
    From Blackberry.RoxioNow.com

"The viewing period is listed once your video appears in the Library of your Rovi Movie Player. You can watch your video as many times as you would like within its viewing period.

Rentals: Viewing Period for Downloads

For rental downloads, the viewing period is usually 24 hours from the time you first press Play and start watching the title. Sometimes, titles are available for 48 hours. Remember when you download a title, the clock for your viewing period begins only when you play the video for the first time. You can begin watching it for the first time any time you choose. Titles which have been rented can stay on your hard drive for up to 30 days, or as long as the title is still available for rent. The expiration date for titles is listed in the Expires column in your RoxioNow Player.

Bought Titles: Viewing Period for Purchases

For titles purchased, the viewing period is unlimited and indefinite. Titles that have been purchased usually have 5 licenses associated with the title. This allows you to download the title to 5 different devices."

Of course, "usually" doesn't seem to apply to our particular rovi-powered store, at least in regards to the five licenses for different devices (as I vented about in the thread "So I tried the video store"), but there you go.

Guygardner73 - It's US-only for now at least.
    Last edited by Swirlz; 03-04-12 at 05:25 PM.
    03-04-12 05:23 PM
    So wait. You mean downloading from a torrent IS legal if you own a legitimate copy? I always assumed they were just plain illegal. Can somebody confirm this and let me know what the boundary is between legitimate and illegitimate? As in if I have a copy of a movie on VHS am I allowed to download an HD torrent version?
    Answer will be all over the spectrum. It will also vary by country. You'd have to be caught to really test out all of the legal theories. Morality and legality may differ.

An inclination is that if you already own it, it SHOULD be fine.
    03-04-12 06:47 PM
    I am running Freemake right now on a dvd of a slideshow I created using a Magix program. Curious how it works.

Is there a pb setting or can you tweak or ....

I believe I tried DVD Catalyst on my own burned dvd's and it did not work.
    03-04-12 06:57 PM
    Answer will be all over the spectrum. It will also vary by country. You'd have to be caught to really test out all of the legal theories. Morality and legality may differ.

An inclination is that if you already own it, it SHOULD be fine.
    It should be fine. Just avoid P2P, torrent seeding, sharing. But it is still illegal in the States.

As for copying DVDs and Blurays I own, I use DVDFab, which can copy almost any protected disk. Note, however, that this is on the borderline of being illegal, too.
    Clareybear likes this.
    03-04-12 07:00 PM
    I have a Mac and downloaded a program called MacX dvd Ripper Pro. There is a free version on their website site. It's as simple as popping in a dvd, selecting an output size and hitting start. I rip to an mp4, it saves on the hard drive. Then I hook up the usb cable and drag them into the movies folder on the playbook. Each movie is about 1.28 gig and with a 64 gig PB I think I can easily store 40 movies plus music. Add an external portable hard drive and you could store hundreds. The only downside is going is the time it takes to rip. Of course if you are downloading bit torrents you are looking at even longer times and possible repercussions from your isp. I have heard that some isp's are throttling down customers who frequently downloading torrents.
    03-04-12 07:24 PM
    Rip ur dvds using dvd shrink and convert them to mp4. It's small files with good quality.
    03-04-12 07:26 PM
    It should be fine. Just avoid P2P, torrent seeding, sharing. But it is still illegal in the States.

As for copying DVDs and Blurays I own, I use DVDFab, which can copy almost any protected disk. Note, however, that this is on the borderline of being illegal, too.
    Is DVDFab for macs or windows?
    03-04-12 07:40 PM
    Is DVDFab for macs or windows?
    Both (see link below). But I have only used the Windows version.

DVDFab DVD & Blu-ray Copy, DVD Ripper, Blu-ray Ripper Software. Copy DVD, DVDR, Blu-ray Disc to PSP, or iPad/iPhone/iPod. Copy Blu-ray to BD-R, MKV, or Hard Drive for both Windows and Mac.
    jafobabe and Swirlz like this.
    03-04-12 07:59 PM
    Ah... ok thanks Kenny!
    03-04-12 08:00 PM
    See the thread "So I Tried the Video Store" on this site today. You can also download podcasts of Documentaries and Current Affairs. I watch these while my wife shops. Now K don't mind going shopping anymore as long as I can stay in the car.
    03-04-12 08:10 PM
    When ripping a DVD into a file for my PlayBook, I use a setting for an iPad. I never had a problem playing it on the Playbook.

I found my program from Giveawayoftheday.com. They have a different free program everyday and once in awhile they will have on to convert DVDs. I tried and failed with Handbrake. I paid money for another and it would not do what I wanted.

Never used a torrent, but if you are thinking of using a torrent, I would instead use a file sharing service.
    03-04-12 08:19 PM
    Just downloaded the free decrypter and was able to crack a dvd, then used Handbrake to convert it. Worked great.

On a side note, I did get a security alert about an hour later from my Security Essentials saying it had discovered and removed a severe threat (win32/ms04028!jpeg). I doubt it was dvdfab though. I had stupidly gone to some unfamiliar websites looking for reviews about it before I did the download. I'm just mentioning it in case someone else has the same issue. Hopefully they will post about it too if it's a dvdfab issue.
    03-04-12 10:13 PM
    As long as you have the correct drivers in place on your PC, you can drag-and-drop files onto your PB in external drive mode. (Funny that the the PB uses network drive protocols instead of standard USB drive protocols...)
    03-04-12 11:28 PM
    Just downloaded the free decrypter and was able to crack a dvd, then used Handbrake to convert it. Worked great.

On a side note, I did get a security alert about an hour later from my Security Essentials saying it had discovered and removed a severe threat (win32/ms04028!jpeg). I doubt it was dvdfab though. I had stupidly gone to some unfamiliar websites looking for reviews about it before I did the download. I'm just mentioning it in case someone else has the same issue. Hopefully they will post about it too if it's a dvdfab issue.
    I've used DVDFab DVD Copy for many years (the paid version. Love how easily t usually cracks DVD protection). Have never had any malware problems.
    03-04-12 11:30 PM
    That's good to know kennyliu. I was pretty sure that it was the stupid websurfing I did.

Anyway, I had been debating different decrypters for a couple weeks now and dvdfab totally worked for me, so I was glad for the tip. It looks like they even have something that works on region protections, which is awesome because I have quite a few region 2 dvds.
    03-04-12 11:47 PM
    it should be an easy drag and drop.

try using DVD Catalyst 4 to copy/convert them!
    03-05-12 12:15 AM
    8 hour flight could get real boring!

Thanks!!!!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-howto-705459/

Just posted this the other day. Its what I use. Takes some time (least on my old system) but works well.
    03-05-12 01:27 AM
    What I've found works great with no fiddling around with settings:

DVD43 = Decrypter FREE on Net

Aimersoft DVD Converter Ultimate +cost 45 bucks, BUT it has a Playbook preset and 3 clicks and your converting your movie.

Go mow the lawn, have a beer then mow the lawn, your choice.

Great picture on the PB and on your bigscreen when you hook it up to the Hotel TV while on the road.

C
    03-05-12 09:15 AM
    First you will need some encrypted DVD ripper. The one I used long ago (worked very well) is DVD shrink. Then after the movies being shrinked to avi or whatever, you can try Handbrake to convert them to the formats that PB supports (I use High Profile in Handbrake, works like a charm, others report using Apple TV also work).
    03-05-12 09:27 AM
    Dare I admit this!??? I decided to give Freemake a shot last night. Managed to get my own created dvd to rip for the pb. Then I tried Thomas Crown affair. Seemed to work in wide-screen and again in pan/scan but both of them were missing the audio ON MY COMPUTER. I tried again - was ripping using the aac standard. I finally figured it was my computer missing codecs to play that standard. Chose another audio track. Still NO sound. 4 rips later - sound on pb but not computer. Mute was not on. This morning on a youtube video - NO SOUND. Aha, my computer speakers do not have a hard switch but electronic - somehow it got turned off! SOUND on 4 separate copies but one is the Director's voice!

Oh, I believe, Freemake works if the user is not dumbstruck!
    03-05-12 10:35 AM
    I use AnyDVD and Handbrake and they work great.

Supposedly you can also use Handbrake if you have VLC installed, but that didn't work for me.
    03-06-12 03:40 AM
    I used Freemake for both movies and tv series. With the series I combined all files, which meant a huge file, and the PB player doesn't bookmark where you stopped. Next time I will do individually. BTW to save room I use a slightly lower resolution, and when it starts playing I drag the video corners to full screen. And now with my BT headphones I am wire-free, just note you can't use them during the flights, buds for that...
    03-06-12 10:16 AM
    I have movies that I have downloaded off of this site, and other sites, on my 9900 SD card. I hooked my 9900 and my PB to my PC and dragged and dropped the movies from the SD card into my PB. Worked just fine.
    03-06-12 10:31 AM
    I use AoA DVD Ripper to copy my favourite DVDs to digital formats (I have a big DVD selection, and it is easier to stream them off my server than find which box I have stored them in)

The PlayBook will play various types of MP4, WMV, AVI film formats - the only files I have never been able to watch are Digital Copies that came with the original BluRay/DVD (eg triple-play packs of True Grit, Hanna)

The ripping software can save in multiple different formats at various levels of resolution

If you only want to watch the films on your PlayBook then you do not need very high resolution - if you want to watch the movies on a big screen (utilising the hdmi output on your PB) then I recommend saving in the h264 mp4 format with the highest resolution

In the UK it is NOT illegal to digitally copy media that you already own (and they recently re-clarified the law to make this even more obvious) - eg if you own the DVD then you can digitise the output to play on different platforms

btw - have never found any s/w that will rip my Blu-Rays

hope this helps
    03-06-12 12:02 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD