What are folks using for connecting the Playbook to office projectors with VGA?
    03-21-12 11:11 PM
    I saw a post the other day which had link to get the connectors.
    03-21-12 11:15 PM
    Hello,
    I don't believe the cables are the answer. I just went over that with a friend. I'm no expert but the issue seems to be that we are going from digital to analog. You will need a converter box and you can get one from 60 bucks to 150 bucks or more.

Make sure you get an HDMI to VGA converter because MOST of the ones in the stores are VGA to HDMI. Trust me, it is a royal pain to go back to the store and exchange because of this little oversight.

Anyway, if your projector only has a VGA connection then you will need:

Playbook
    HDMI mini cable to HDMI (I got mine on CrackBerry and got a discount of 10% )
    Converter Box (I got an SIIG HDMI to VGA/YpbPr & Audio Converter $150.00 bucks)
    VGA cable (from your converter box to your VGA projector - about $10.00)

I plugged this things into a projector and it worked great. I also have a BB phone and the BB Remote has a "presentation" choice that actually works awesome for slides.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    jafobabe likes this.
    03-21-12 11:31 PM
    Edit: just realized the product I posted won't work for OP. Sorries.
    03-21-12 11:58 PM
    I think there's a thread and there is some hp device that can do pb to vga projector.
    03-22-12 12:28 AM
    HP adapter worked for me.
    03-22-12 12:51 AM
    Thanks. Is this HP HDMI to VGA conrter for $40 the one? Are other folks using this?
    03-22-12 12:07 PM
    Trust me when I say that you want the Samsung MICRO HDMI to VGA Adapter!! It took me a long time to find one, but I never leave home without it! I'm a Youth Pastor, and I'm able to connect my PB to our old VGA projector to run the youth group. The Samsung Dongle is about 6 inches long and does not require aditional power like a couple of the other cords like it. You will connect to the VGA cord from the projector. The only problem I had in getting one was companies that said it was in stock, but a week (or two) later would tell me that they went on back order. Get one!
    hubermania and alazok like this.
    03-22-12 02:46 PM
    Trust me when I say that you want the Samsung MICRO HDMI to VGA Adapter!! It took me a long time to find one, but I never leave home without it! I'm a Youth Pastor, and I'm able to connect my PB to our old VGA projector to run the youth group. The Samsung Dongle is about 6 inches long and does not require aditional power like a couple of the other cords like it. You will connect to the VGA cord from the projector. The only problem I had in getting one was companies that said it was in stock, but a week (or two) later would tell me that they went on back order. Get one!
    I just ordered one of the Samsung adapters.. waiting for it to arrive.
    BgDog999 likes this.
    03-22-12 02:55 PM
    Thanks. Is this HP HDMI to VGA conrter for $40 the one? Are other folks using this?
    Probably not. You want a micro HDMI adapter, not standard laptop HDMI which has a much bigger plug. Micro HDMI plug is roughly the same size as the power adapter.
    03-22-12 03:32 PM
    I'm assuming I would also need amini-HDMI to HDMI adapter as well.

Anyway, the Samsung unit looks like the way to go.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-22-12 04:15 PM
    I am using the hp ($40) one with a micro to hdmi connector and works perfectly.
    03-22-12 04:23 PM
    I have the HP converter with the micro-HDMI adapter, works great. Haven't had any issues yet with it.
    03-22-12 05:34 PM
    Will either one of these reliably sync to VGA projectors at either 1280x1024 or 1024x768 75Hz? These are what I come across most often at my company or on the road.
    03-22-12 06:45 PM
    Works for me too. Don't forget the female to female hdmi adapter if you use a standard hdmi micro to hdmi standard cable, Target stocks the gender changers.
    03-22-12 08:42 PM
    Will either one of these reliably sync to VGA projectors at either 1280x1024 or 1024x768 75Hz? These are what I come across most often at my company or on the road.
    I use my Samsung Dongle on our old church VGA Projector as well as other projectors at other venues with higher resolutions. Zero problems
    03-23-12 09:41 AM
    I bought and return the Samsung model. The reason being that when using itwith longer VGA cables the picture came out all distorted and additionally there were some VGA cables connected to the computer where I would get a green screen on certain slides using powerpoint.
    Also did not work with the VGA input on my TV.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    03-23-12 09:51 PM
    03-23-12 10:41 PM
    I'm assuming I would also need amini-HDMI to HDMI adapter as well.

Anyway, the Samsung unit looks like the way to go.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Not miniHDMI, microHDMI.
    miniHDMI does exist but is too big for the Playbook connector.
    03-24-12 08:33 AM
    The model you want is Samsung AA-AH1NAMB/US, which is Micro HDMI to VGA adapter.

I just got it I believe for around 25$ on NCIX, and it works great. As for a distorted image, in my case, I do have a VGA extension cable, around 15-20 ft, and it works great as well, so maybe it is cable quality problem for the other fellow member...

Google it and I am sure you will find it nearby...

Cheers,

JF
    miata likes this.
    03-24-12 09:29 AM
    The model you want is Samsung AA-AH1NAMB/US, which is Micro HDMI to VGA adapter.

I just got it I believe for around 25$ on NCIX, and it works great. As for a distorted image, in my case, I do have a VGA extension cable, around 15-20 ft, and it works great as well, so maybe it is cable quality problem for the other fellow member...

Google it and I am sure you will find it nearby...

Cheers,

JF
    Thanks. This looks like the way to go. No longer shows up on NCIX. Looks like $39 plus tax from the Microsoft Store. That is a little more that I was hoping. I'll continue looking for a better deal.
    03-24-12 07:36 PM
    Probably not. You want a micro HDMI adapter, not standard laptop HDMI which has a much bigger plug. Micro HDMI plug is roughly the same size as the power adapter.
    If you already have a micro hdmi to hdmi cable, the hdmi to vga converter should work. I have not tested it though, but to me a micro hdmi to hdmi cable is more useful than going to get a micro to micro cable. If someone has tried this, let me know if there is a difference in quality between the two please. Thanx
    03-25-12 04:02 AM
    Thanks. This looks like the way to go. No longer shows up on NCIX. Looks like $39 plus tax from the Microsoft Store. That is a little more that I was hoping. I'll continue looking for a better deal.
    Hello,

It is odd, when I bought it, was sku 89319Q on ncix.com. Paid 23.08 $ plus taxes based on invoice. While this sku no longer appears, they still have the same model number, AA-AH1NAMB/US, showing under a different sku 68 201, @39.99 $ as well.

Samsung 190MM Micro HDMI to VGA Adapter for Series 9 Samsung Notebooks AA-AH1NAMB/US - Samsung Consumer Electronics - AA-AH1NAMB/US

I guess it was a mistake or something, but I must have been lucky. It does work very well though.
    03-25-12 07:17 AM
    Thanks for the OP that mentioned about the Samsung adapter. I have also ordered one and it is being shipped. It is the cheapest I can find so far and shipping is free in Canada.

root - AA-AH1NAMB/US - HookBag
    03-25-12 01:37 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD