HDMI port on my 16gb is broken and RIM will fix it for $99. Is it worth it? Can someone fix it for cheaper? Do I just buy a new one for $179?
    08-16-12 01:30 PM
    My vote is if you're ready to pay $99 for a fix, it's like paying $79 for a new Playbook. Get a new PlayBook.
    08-16-12 02:15 PM
    James is on to something. You could have a new pb with a working hdmi and another pb that can serve most purposes other than hdmi-output.
    08-16-12 03:17 PM
    Are you sure it's your port that is broken, have you tried different media? I thought mine was broken at first too, my first Micro-HDMI cable did nothing no matter which port of any device I plugged the HDMI into. TV's and Monitors still showed a Blackscreen with my PlayBook saying it's not connected. Sometime later I got a Micro-HDMI - HDMI Adapter to use a regular HDMI cable. At first there was a black screen and I thought it was my PlayBook port for sure, but then I made sure it was plugged in all the way and wiggled it around and it suddenly worked. That adapter is REAL touchy and the slightest movement could disconnect it. Then I got another Micro-HDMI cable, a shorter one, and that one consistently works.

TL;DR Have you tried other cables, that port can be picky, but not broken.
    08-16-12 03:42 PM
    My vote is if you're ready to pay $99 for a fix, it's like paying $79 for a new Playbook. Get a new PlayBook.
    Or, someone can give you $79 for your broken playbook, and you can buy a new one! (Not quite interested enough; love using the HDMI connection.)
    08-17-12 11:17 AM
    Staples has playbooks for $159 this Sunday only.
    08-17-12 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD