Too often is the PB slammed for not having a ton of apps. Yet, what else could be expected in the waking months of a new OS? A tidal wave? RIM was smart and pre-empted this issue by providing a great core experience. How did they do this? Flash, strong browser, HDMI output, strong core apps and quality hardware. The people who love the PB, I think, all recognize that the experience can only improve over time with the addition of new apps and updates.

Flash is awesome. Websites are equal to apps. But consider that you don't need to download and update a website. Furthermore, being able to watch, for example, sports or a stream of a business conference on the playbook is a bigger deal than you may think at first glance due to the HDMI output to large screen. All while beautifully integrating multitasking directly into the interface.

Websites are better than most apps because you generally get the full content the website has to offer. Most websites work well with the browser. There are PLENTY of websites that are really exceptional on the browser including youtube, crackle, wordpress (amazing), my bar review course, amazon, etc. etc. . These are just a minor selection I could think of at this hour. I imagine I will be taking CLE courses on it (Continued legal education) which are mandatory.

What makes the playbook great is the power packed into such a small device. Its way more capable than a phone and handles what many mobile devices have failed to capture, multitasking. And the multi-tasking is great. But there is one last thing not often mentioned...

The real hidden gem of the playbook has been in its hdmi output + presentation mode. If you own a large HD TV, you understand this. If you pay like 10 bucks for a micro-hdmi cord you turn it into a mobile multi-media center. Whats the point of blue ray when you can stream 1080p content from a 7inch tablet device thats the size of the blueray disc's case? Any HDTV instantly can become your presentation screen if you carry that 6 ft tiny micro hdmi cord in your carry case.

Too much to say on this topic.
    Last edited by esqlaw; 07-11-11 at 09:45 AM.
    M.Rizk, Matt J, OniBerry and 6 others like this.
    07-11-11 12:51 AM
    Have you figured out a way to enable multiple browser windows to keep streaming content going while you browse elsewhere?
    07-11-11 03:45 AM
    Browser tabs that aren't active are paused. Definitely something I'd like to see different.
    ignites likes this.
    07-11-11 08:32 AM
    Browser tabs that aren't active are paused. Definitely something I'd like to see different.
    This was covered in an earlier thread but there is another browser available in app world. Set to showcase mode, you can have two wifi browsers open and running. Add in the bridge browser and you've got three.
    07-11-11 08:37 AM
    This was covered in an earlier thread but there is another browser available in app world. Set to showcase mode, you can have two wifi browsers open and running. Add in the bridge browser and you've got three.
    Honestly, I don't even care that much. There are only music streaming websites that I think I would care about more if slacker radio wasn't as good as it is. Tabbed browsing is good enough for me.
    07-11-11 09:25 AM
    How does the other browser compare?
    07-11-11 09:44 AM
    Flash is awesome. Websites are equal to apps.
    Flash is awesome if you like vulnerabilities. Websites are no where equal to apps. I'm sorry in my opinion, this isn't even close. In most cases Apps kick the **** of websites, it terms of speed and content. Plus without any push notifications, there is a reason for apps. I know everybody here loves flash, but with the majority of the biggest websites in the world, not using flash (twitter, facebook, google, cnn, amazon) you wonder just how awesome flash really is. All you need to know about flash.
    07-11-11 09:52 AM
    Flash is awesome if you like vulnerabilities. Websites are no where equal to apps. I'm sorry in my opinion, this isn't even close. In most cases Apps kick the **** of websites, it terms of speed and content. Plus without any push notifications, there is a reason for apps. I know everybody here loves flash, but with the majority of the biggest websites in the world, not using flash (twitter, facebook, google, cnn, amazon) you wonder just how awesome flash really is. All you need to know about flash.
    Yeah, that why we have html5 apps, and that is what large corporations are moving towards. Why pay to develop an app, when you can offer the same functionality in a browsing experience?

Sure, there will always be app development, but with more options comes more choice. Flash is one tool we use on the internet. The point is, websites will be equal to apps. In all aspects.

10 apps pushing HTML5 to the limit | HTML5 - InfoWorld

HTML5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    07-11-11 10:02 AM
    Yeah, that why we have html5 apps, and that is what large corporations are moving towards. Why pay to develop an app, when you can offer the same functionality in a browsing experience?

Sure, there will always be app development, but with more options comes more choice. Flash is one tool we use on the internet. The point is, websites will be equal to apps. In all aspects.

10 apps pushing HTML5 to the limit | HTML5 - InfoWorld

HTML5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    R.I.P. Flash. Time to retire.

Welcome HTML5. I agree that HTML5 is the future, but I have a hard time thinking apps will go anywhere Choice is good
    07-11-11 10:13 AM
    I do understand that this is a cool feature, but there is no legal way to get HD content to the PB at the moment... and that kinda sucks...
    (and I mean like HD download from iTunes store or equal).

I like to pay for it, if its worth it.
    07-11-11 10:44 AM
    I do understand that this is a cool feature, but there is no legal way to get HD content to the PB at the moment... and that kinda sucks...
    (and I mean like HD download from iTunes store or equal).

I like to pay for it, if its worth it.
    What do you mean? Youtube movies work and some are at 720p. Some you have to rent (ouch), but its there. Surely, we need more options. But its 100% legal. Also, amazon works. Not sure about the res quality of their content though.
    07-11-11 11:19 AM
    If RIM focuses on some popular quality apps and keeps their multitasking strong, they will do well. I use the playbook to listen to music, watch youtube videos, browse crackberry(full-site, haha), type word documents, read free kobo books, and check my webmail, take pictures and read pdfs. So many of the 100 apps I've downloaded I never use! They aren't used enough to keep around.

For example,
    Ottawa garbage app? Never used. I go online and get more info.
    CBC news app? Never used, I go online. (more info)
    Gas watch? I got online (more info)
    Twitter app? Please...the browser is like 98% as good, AND you can do more.
    Facebook app? I can't even open my notifications in the app? I just go online, and I have everything.
    Stocks? I just use google finance online.
    Note taker apps? Just use Word to Go! At least I can save them as .doc files and do lots of formatting. It's just as easy and it has autocorrect! Say word!

Counting apps is just a tool for poor journalists to avoid being knowledgeable.
    Then they say Playbook has Flash to make they seem unbiased.

I understand when people say Flash isn't all its cracked up to be, and it's not. There are times when I turned off flash thinking I didn't need it...

-I couldn't see an embedded flash video.
    -I couldn't use any interactive charts.
    -My gf couldn't navigate the Louis Vuitton website properly.
    -I couldn't play a flash game online(Duck hunt, lol)

I ended up having to turn it on again and reload the webpages.

But they should understand that apps aren't all they are cracked up to be either.
    IF there were apps to do all these tasks then yes, find them among your hundreds of apps and see if you are much faster than me in googling them (less than 10 seconds on the pb). If you are, they find me an app that gives me the same amount of information.

The freedom you get when you browse the net as opposed to some closed app is just amazing! Just marvel at all the choices of links you can click!

Google is my super app! It's over a billion apps in one and universal search all in one small icon!
    KarlosSpicyWienr and Dapper37 like this.
    07-11-11 11:27 AM
    Google is my super app! It's over a billion apps in one and universal search all in one small icon!
    Aren't you defeating the purpose of a super duper real-time-multitasking OS, but limiting yourself to one browser window downloading content at a time?

apps have their place, or so does good 'ol web surfing...
    07-11-11 11:40 AM
    Aren't you defeating the purpose of a super duper real-time-multitasking OS, but limiting yourself to one browser window downloading content at a time?

apps have their place, or so does good 'ol web surfing...
    Currently, a PB owner can have three separate browsers working simultaneously such is the power of QNX.
    07-11-11 11:47 AM
    I wonder what I do on my wifi laptop without push notifications? Hummmm I guess I just use it as I always have. I didn't know that a wifi tab/laptop needed push notification or that any laptop has push unless of course there is something the corporate world uses but I'm just an avg. joe.
    07-11-11 11:56 AM
    Currently, a PB owner can have three separate browsers working simultaneously such is the power of QNX.
    But not with the Blackberry built-in one on the Playbook. Way to mislead everybody...
    07-11-11 12:02 PM
    Hardly. The bridge browser, main wifi browser and functional wifi browser (free) from app world. That makes three separate, fully functional browsers able to work simultaneously.
    Orbitor1 likes this.
    07-11-11 12:29 PM
    But not with the Blackberry built-in one on the Playbook. Way to mislead everybody...
    He didn't mislead anyone. What he said was perfectly true. Please stop trying to bait arguments.
    07-11-11 12:45 PM

Vulnerabilities? Ive viewed Flash filled web content years and have never been hacked. While flash may expose your system - being stupid will get you hacked. And how can you say "In most cases Apps kick the **** of websites" ? Not even apples to apples. Thats like saying you prefer Quickbooks to Microsoft Office - both let you be productive - but not the same productive.
    07-11-11 12:54 PM
    What do you mean? Youtube movies work and some are at 720p. Some you have to rent (ouch), but its there. Surely, we need more options. But its 100% legal. Also, amazon works. Not sure about the res quality of their content though.
    I'm talking about movies etc. that can be bought/rented and be stored offline - like for a trip.

Its just not there yet - except for copies/pirated.
    07-11-11 12:59 PM
    If RIM focuses on some popular quality apps and keeps their multitasking strong, they will do well. I use the playbook to listen to music, watch youtube videos, browse crackberry(full-site, haha), type word documents, read free kobo books, and check my webmail, take pictures and read pdfs. So many of the 100 apps I've downloaded I never use! They aren't used enough to keep around.

For example,
    Ottawa garbage app? Never used. I go online and get more info.
    CBC news app? Never used, I go online. (more info)
    Gas watch? I got online (more info)
    Twitter app? Please...the browser is like 98% as good, AND you can do more.
    Facebook app? I can't even open my notifications in the app? I just go online, and I have everything.
    Stocks? I just use google finance online.
    Note taker apps? Just use Word to Go! At least I can save them as .doc files and do lots of formatting. It's just as easy and it has autocorrect! Say word!

Counting apps is just a tool for poor journalists to avoid being knowledgeable.
    Then they say Playbook has Flash to make they seem unbiased.

I understand when people say Flash isn't all its cracked up to be, and it's not. There are times when I turned off flash thinking I didn't need it...

-I couldn't see an embedded flash video.
    -I couldn't use any interactive charts.
    -My gf couldn't navigate the Louis Vuitton website properly.
    -I couldn't play a flash game online(Duck hunt, lol)

I ended up having to turn it on again and reload the webpages.

But they should understand that apps aren't all they are cracked up to be either.
    IF there were apps to do all these tasks then yes, find them among your hundreds of apps and see if you are much faster than me in googling them (less than 10 seconds on the pb). If you are, they find me an app that gives me the same amount of information.

The freedom you get when you browse the net as opposed to some closed app is just amazing! Just marvel at all the choices of links you can click!

I am not sure if you have any experience with iOS but the quality and comprehensive features of so many of the business apps on the iPad is astounding. Not only can you edit .ppt, excell, and .doc's you can create presentations, you can convert any office document to a PDF and e-mail it, you can download a PDF and sign it, resave it with your signature and e-mail or send to a printer. Not to mention, video editing, music editing, music creation, very extensive DJ software, lighting designer controller DMX software, voice recognition, medical diagnosis apps like webMD, extensive financial software, and on and on. What drives the iPad sales through the roof is the top notch apps. I have played with Android apps and they pale in quality compared to iOS.

Did you know there are now over 100,000 iPad apps alone let alone the other 482,000 + iphone apps that run on the iPad perfectly. Apps are going to make or break a tablet in the long run. Many of the most useful functions, which a tablet can help ones everyday life have nothing to do with the web directly. The very best applications implement features using the web but their main purpose is to make your life easier in whatever profession you work in. No one even comes close to Apple's App Store in this regards and this is why they have 82% of the tablet market and are dominating in phone growth. It's not the hardware it's the software that's the key.
    Last edited by lavrishevo; 07-11-11 at 02:54 PM.
    07-11-11 01:09 PM
    I am not sure if you have any experience with iOS but the quality and comprehensive features of so many of the business apps on the iPad is astounding. Not only can you edit .ppt, excell, and .doc's you can create presentations, you can convert any office document to a PDF and e-mail it, you can download a PDF and sign it, resave it with your signature and e-mail or send to a printer. Not to mention, video editing, music editing, music creation, very extensive DJ software, lighting designer controller DMX software, voice recognition, medical diagnosis apps like webMD, extensive financial software, and on and on. What drives the iPad sales through the room is the top notch apps. I have played with Android apps and they pale in quality compared to iOS.

Did you know there are now over 100,000 iPad apps alone let alone the other 482,000 + iphone apps that run on the iPad perfectly. Apps are going to make or break a tablet in the long run. Many of the most useful functions, which a tablet can help ones everyday life have nothing to do with the web directly. The very best applications implement features using the web but their main purpose is to make your life easier in whatever profession you work in. No one even comes close to Apple's App Store in this regards and this is why they have 82% of the tablet market and are dominating in phone growth. It's not the hardware it's the software that's the key.
    Boom. Here comes the flame throwers... Look out LOL
    07-11-11 01:35 PM
    Some like access to the full web. DJ app so know we can have more no talent bums thinking that they're all that is hip and cool? How utterly craptastic.
    07-11-11 01:41 PM
    What's more craptastic is thinking that just because you don't have the need for an "app" that isn't flash sports, it's not relevant to the platform.

I would love for the playbook to have a decent photo editing software, some video editing software, and some music creating software, like Garage Band. I have no music talents, but it's fun to play and create my own junk.

Now only if somebody got off their butts and made some stellar like this for the Playbook.

What's the point of having all these nice videos, if I can't edit them, or make my own home movies?

-Cal
    howarmat likes this.
    07-11-11 01:58 PM
    I'm talking about movies etc. that can be bought/rented and be stored offline - like for a trip.

Its just not there yet - except for copies/pirated.
    Yeah, you're right its not what it should be. However, I've got a couple methods to watch videos and right now its not as big a deal.

As far as traveling, I think you're right about that.
    07-11-11 02:41 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD