Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default HDMI Audio

Hi all,

Probably a stoopid question - but is the audio over hdmi louder than audio output through the ear socket ??

I use my PB for music, by connecting it to my hi-fi, but even at top volume from the PB ( with headphone boost enabled ) it's just not that loud.

So I thought I might give it a go over hdmi - but thought i'd check before getting a hdmi breakout cable.

cheers
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,244 Global Posts
    PIN
    USN - CDR

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_numpty View Post
    Hi all,

Probably a stoopid question - but is the audio over hdmi louder than audio output through the ear socket ??

I use my PB for music, by connecting it to my hi-fi, but even at top volume from the PB ( with headphone boost enabled ) it's just not that loud.

So I thought I might give it a go over hdmi - but thought i'd check before getting a hdmi breakout cable.

cheers
    My first port of call would be to check the impedance of the connection you are using between the pb and your hifi. The audio out from anything is only a minute signal and it's what you connect it to that makes the difference ie hifi, headphones or external speakers. They boost the small signal to the level required. I use lots of different headphones with my pb and they are all deafening to my ears (and that's saying something given my age) but if the input impedance of your hifi doesn't balance then you get signal loss.

It could also be the cable and type of connectors you are using.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanx for the reply and have to agree - output through headphones is loud.

I've used the same cable with a cheap mp3 and output is much louder ?

The Hi-Fi has a built in amp but I even with the volume up to max on the Hi-Fi and PB, output is very quiet, which is why I was thinking HDMI breakout cable might be a solution.

Oh well not to worry.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    12,244 Global Posts
    PIN
    USN - CDR

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_numpty View Post
    Thanx for the reply and have to agree - output through headphones is loud.

I've used the same cable with a cheap mp3 and output is much louder ?

The Hi-Fi has a built in amp but I even with the volume up to max on the Hi-Fi and PB, output is very quiet, which is why I was thinking HDMI breakout cable might be a solution.

Oh well not to worry.
    I would still check the impedance. It may well be an acceptable match for your mp3 player which usually produce a very minute audio output signal and your amp does the rest which is perfect. It may not though match the pb impedance. If the impedance is wrong it will reduce the signal to practically nothing and your poor amp is working overtime to boost something that barely exists. In this case be careful not to blow the audio chip or the components in the audio amp circuit that support the chip. They are expensive!
    CrackBerry Genius

I have the same situation that I have noticed. Actual MP3's take a lot more to get some decent volume, but Songza and Slacker are pretty decent volume levels.
    Living the world of Blackberry and a fan of the comeback!
    CrackBerry Genius

I use a HDMI connected to my home theater and the volume is about the same as any other connected source.

What kind of Hi-Fi and how are you connecting to it?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddface View Post
    I use a HDMI connected to my home theater and the volume is about the same as any other connected source.

What kind of Hi-Fi and how are you connecting to it?
    I'm using a Denon AVR 1913
    Living the world of Blackberry and a fan of the comeback!
    CrackBerry Genius

I have my PC hooked up to a Onkyo A/V via head phone jack to RCA plugs. While I never had an issue with the PC, when I unplugged the PC and plugged in the PlayBook the volume was very low. Whatever the reason for this the HDMI cable provides good sound at the same volume as all my other sources.