Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Cool HD Movies?

So I was a little disappointed when I copied a 720p mkv file over and it didn't play. The HD demo video is just amazing. I want to play HD movies on my PlayBook but if it doesn't support mkv, then what other HD format is there??
    CrackBerry Genius

Using formatfactory from formatoz.com (free) I rip my dvd's in hd mpeg4 format and they copied over and play just fine.

Giver 'er a try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,422 Global Posts

I'm using Xilisoft HD Converter, and I am currently converting a movie to HD and the format is .mp4
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Great, I'll try that. Thanks for the info guys.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

So I converted a mkv file to MPEG4 using Xilisoft HD Converter and tried to watch a movie on my PB today but no go.

I loaded it up this morning an it's all choppy, video and sound. I got to try again tonight to see if there are any more settings to change add. Would anyone know what settings (bit-rate's) I should be using?
    CrackBerry Abuser

search the forums for mkv threads. there are several howtos on re-muxing to different formats. see also videohelp.com.
    CrackBerry Newbie

MKV is technically not a 'video' format, as much as it's a container format (in otherwords, it holds different audio tracks, subtitle tracks, and video tracks etc. with in).

As such, MKV isn't really supported on anything except a computer, that I know of anyway, and even then it require special codecs (altough the new DivX supports MKV - I've yet to have anything play properly in it with out the CCCP codec pack).

The PlayBook supports MP4, h.264, WMV, DivX/Xvid AVI (depending on how it's encoded). For the most part, you will find issues with some formats not playing properly - this is typically because the settings are not optimized for proper playback on this type of device. Most H.264 formats, like mp4, WMV, etc. require a lot of CPU power to decode and some will choke (even on a desktop computer a lot of times a poorly encoded 1080p MP4 file can have issues).

I have numerous 720p mp4 files loaded on my Playbook and they play beautifully. I've also got a couple of WMV files and DivX files that also play without a hiccup. But these are all files I've encoded (I own a video production company, so they're samples of our work) - but not a hiccup anywhere. I did have issues playing back a 1080p WMV file though - but haven't played around to see why.

If you are downloading MKV files, you'll need to transcode them to mp4 or Divx, as someone else mentioned. I don't know what programs would be best for this off hand... but I know there's quite a few out there.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Thanks for the info mikelinton! I'll also search the forums as recommended. Thanks guys.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by kb5zht View Post
    Using formatfactory from formatoz.com (free) I rip my dvd's in hd mpeg4 format and they copied over and play just fine.

Giver 'er a try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What settings are you using?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelinton View Post
    .......I've also got a couple of WMV files and DivX files that also play without a hiccup. But these are all files I've encoded .........
    If you are downloading MKV files, you'll need to transcode them to mp4 or Divx, as someone else mentioned. I don't know what programs would be best for this off hand... but I know there's quite a few out there.
    Question: How did you encode the wmv files? the one i tried would not play. as for mkv files there is a great freeware program called Xeoon MKV that will unmux an mkv and remux it into an mp4, takes only about 10 minutes and works just great on the Playbook!