My name is Keith and I'm a new Blackberry Playbook user. I don't know if this has been asked before, I'm sure it has to have been but I can't for the life of me find the right search terms. Essentially I keep seeing the HD label on certain games, however when I'm connected to my hd tv via the hdmi, all I get is that small screen in the middle (presumably because the desktop is only that 1024x600). So I have to stretch the image to cover the screen. I can watch 1080p video with the video player put into presentation mode. But for some reason the games don't seem any higher res than the desktop itself. Which is to say in order to play a game that takes up my whole screen I still have to stretch it like I do the desktop of the playbook. I want to know if any of these games are supposed to actually be in high-def (even just 720p) when connected to an hdtv with hdmi or am I stuck with the playbook's resolution?

Thanks for your time.
    03-16-12 12:19 AM
    A game marked as HD just means that it's higher definition than some non-HD version of that game. Generally tablet versions are called HD and phone versions are considered standard.
    03-16-12 12:11 PM
    Thanks much for the clarification!
    03-16-12 12:27 PM
    HD has lost all meaning when you talk about apps.

Say you make an app for iPhone called "waffle-stomper" and it sells well. Now there's this new thing called the iPad and you decide to port your game to it. You increase the price because why not? Now you have to give it a different name so you call it "waffle-stomper HD" to differentiate it from the iphone version.

Now imagine every game developer doing this same thing. This is the reality we live in.
    conix67 and yauchunh like this.
    03-16-12 01:05 PM
    HD has lost all meaning when you talk about apps.

Say you make an app for iPhone called "waffle-stomper" and it sells well. Now there's this new thing called the iPad and you decide to port your game to it. You increase the price because why not? Now you have to give it a different name so you call it "waffle-stomper HD" to differentiate it from the iphone version.

Now imagine every game developer doing this same thing. This is the reality we live in.
    sort of
    take angry birds.
    on the iPhone it plays at a resolution of 480 x 320, it plays at this resolution on the ipad too, and gives you a small phone sized image in the center of the screen, or the option to X2 it, to fill the screen where it looks blurry.
    so they brought out Angry birds HD which plays in 1024x768 and gives crisp graphics in full screen.

HD means more than 1000 pixels along one axis
    True HD has over 1000 pixels on both axis.
    03-16-12 01:15 PM
    HD means more than 1000 pixels along one axis
    True HD has over 1000 pixels on both axis.
    For TV sets, true HD is anything over 720 horizontal lines. I'm sure you could apply the same rule of thumb to other media.
    03-16-12 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD