Just want to make sure I am waiting long enough before forcing it to turn off

For some reason my PB has started acting crazy this week. Sunday evening after I checked into my hotel (business trip to Toronto) my pb started freezing up. Performed a hard reset and after staring at the colored dots that come on during boot up for 15 mins, I forced it to power off, plugged into the wall charger for a few mins and tried turning it on again and it worked. Battery charge was not low when it locked up, probably around 80%

This happened around 5-6 more times this week. Seems that it will not boot up after hard reset. The one time I had to boot up earlier this evening, Neither bridge nor wifi would connect. Videos would not play either. Told me the feature was not avail even though they are stored on my PB memory
    06-05-12 09:32 PM
    To make it a little easier for us, I have some questions.....
    1. What OS are you running on the PB.
    2. Have you been running some Android Apps.
    3. Have you side loaded any apps.

From the info you have stated, it sounds like you would need to re-install the OS from your computer....But before that, give us more info..please.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-05-12 10:32 PM
    One thing that has been implicated in a slow or non-restart is having ONLY FOLDERS in the main DOCK. Some folks have neatened up so that they placed all apps into folder and then placed those folders in the dock.

Barring that, have you sideloaded any apps and might they be the problem? Which pb and how much space is used and how much is available?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-05-12 10:40 PM
    Sorry guys..
    64 GB playbook. 48 GB available.
    Bought new Feb 3rd. Running the latest commercial software (.358) I have two folders on my main dock. Been that way since I set it up in Feb. I do have the Amazon android app( not a new install, had it for a couple of months).
    Newest app I have is FlightAware. Installed two weeks ago..

Although I don't know how it could, I think it is something with the Hotel wifi I am in causing problems. I carried it to work with me today and have been listening to music, tested a video, and used the bridge email with NO problems. Shut it down and powered back up like normal.
    I am going to leave the wifi turned off the next day or so when I am at the hotel and see if the rest of the pb runs normal
    06-06-12 11:58 AM
    Do you have any icons not in a folder on the main doc? It shouldn't take more than 4 minutes which is even long. You should try putting a single icon on the main dock even if it was fine before to test. It can't hurt.
    06-06-12 12:12 PM
    Sorry yes, I have browser, app world, calendar, Bridge Folder,Media Folder, and Game folder on the main dock.

I was mostly curious if hard resets took longer to boot up than a normal power up. Sounds like 'No' is the answer.

PB has run excellent today with no lockups. Be interesting to see if they start back up again when I get back to the hotel this evening
    Last edited by QWKSNKE; 06-06-12 at 03:02 PM.
    06-06-12 02:40 PM
    Sorry yes, I have browser, app world, calendar, Bridge Folder,Media Folder, and Game folder on the main dock.

I was mostly curious if hard resets took longer to boot up than a normal power up. Sounds like 'No' is the answer.

PB has run excellent today with no lockups. Be interesting to see if they start back up again when I get back to the hotel this evening
    By a hard reboot do you mean: power+volume up+volume down all held down for about 20 seconds or just hitting restart after you tap on the battery icon?
    06-06-12 04:29 PM
    By a hard reboot do you mean: power+volume up+volume down all held down for about 20 seconds or just hitting restart after you tap on the battery icon?
    3 button press...

Hotel wifi is what is causing my problems. Got back to the hotel last nite turned wifi for a few minutes to check email and BAM frozen playbook within 5 mins. Couldn't run any app. Shut it down, took it outside out of range of the hotel, turned it back on, booted up normally, turned the wifi off and no problems since. (reason for this is that the PB will get stuck on bootup if I turn it on within the hotel)

So if you are visiting the Toronto area, stay away from the Fairfield Inn in Oakville
    06-07-12 06:54 AM
    You could try going into saved networks and removing all hotspots, reboot and try to connect to the hotel wifi again. Also turn bluetooth off if it is on.
    06-07-12 07:21 AM
    That is quite interesting. A while ago, someone was on vacation and had similar bootup or use problems when they attempted to use the pb at a hotel. But if I remember one unit (they had more than one pb) did work somewhat.

I wonder what the pb does on bootup that it tied to its currently stored wifi info. Clearly, it must be more than just an internal bootup/housekeeping process but include trying to see if its wifi is working - maybe getting notifications which it seem to do each time I reboot - you know - what apps are available or upgraded, new messages, etc.

I wonder if some of the power/expert users knowledgeable about the innards would know - Xsasha (what's his name!!!) seems to know more about the internals. I bet this question would be too much for even tech support.
    06-07-12 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD