The new PlayBook I bought my wife two weeks ago is hidden in her new J-lo purse waiting to be discovered. I am a little nervous after she rejected the $99 HP TouchPad as being too big with not enough apps.

I think it will be a good complement to her Sprint BB Style. I just wish OS 2.0 was here already. Please tell be BlackBerry ported over some social games like Words With Friends?

Any newbie tips or 5 minute instructional videos?
    02-14-12 01:47 PM
    haha heey that's a lovely one i hope she will like it.
    don't be nervous just do it and have your plan B ready if it fails seriously.
    but atleast let her try the PB and help her out, make it work out for.
    so it will be easier for her. well your the gentleman! so knock yourself out.

you can look on youtube for video's many many vid's out there.
    here's one CB.

i hope you will have a nice valentine night! goodluck!
    and don't forget and tell us how it went!
    02-14-12 01:56 PM
    There's a great set of instructional videos in App World for the Playbook. I believe it's called Discover Now or something like that. I see it a lot in the featured apps scroll. Other than that, check out the newbie tips stickie here on Crackberry. You'll find a lot of good information there.

Words with Friends isn't here yet as an app, but I believe you can play it through the browser on the Words with Friends website without a problem.
    02-14-12 02:02 PM
    Thanks, how about Kindle? Can she download and read her Kindle books on the PlayBook?
    02-14-12 02:09 PM
    congrats she will love it
    02-14-12 02:16 PM
    Thanks, how about Kindle? Can she download and read her Kindle books on the PlayBook?
    Not currently, but if she can wait until the 2.0 release there may be some news about this. If Kindle isn't available after then and if this is a show stopper for her, you can always exchange it for the Kindle Fire or an Android tablet.
    02-14-12 02:47 PM
    She has a Kindle 3 eReader already, I was just hoping to consolidate devices. Even HP had a Kindle app. You would think that Amazon would want to sell books on as many platforms as possible.

She still has not discovered it yet. Got go to work, later.
    02-14-12 03:05 PM
    I hope she totally loves her playbook and tells all her friends...
    Welcome to the forums!
    02-14-12 03:09 PM
    What a thoughtful hubby you are! You don't really need the apps. I play Scrabble and WwF's right from the browser after logging into the web version of Facebook on my PB.
    Nick Burkhardt likes this.
    02-14-12 03:13 PM
    She has a Kindle 3 eReader already, I was just hoping to consolidate devices. Even HP had a Kindle app. You would think that Amazon would want to sell books on as many platforms as possible.

She still has not discovered it yet. Got go to work, later.
    BookReader reads the Kindle format, among others. I don't know anything about Kindle 3 but I, personally, prefer my e-ink reader (Sony PRS-650 in my case) for general reading. It's much easier on my eyes. I do have the BookReader app on my PB but use it for children's books and cookbooks rather than general reading. BookReader is very inexpensive in App World.

Hope your wife LOVES her new PB!
    02-14-12 03:18 PM
    No need to worry dude, she will like it as my gf likes it
    I gave my 32GB PB which i bought last week along with new bb phone to my gf as valentine gift and she loves both.

P.S.> I bought new 64GB for me today as a b'day gift to me!
    02-14-12 03:18 PM
    She found it and she loves it. "Is that why you wanted me to get a new purse?" followed by "Awe crap, all I got you was a $10 blu-ray."

Powered on and got as far as Enter your BlackBerry ID. Is that found on her BB phone? Was it eMailed to her? She had to run some errands so we will finish setting it up later. And of course she asked "Does this mean I can throw out my old Kindle?"

Come-on BlackBerry, get together with Amazon and play nice.
    slackerberry likes this.
    02-14-12 05:22 PM
    She found it and she loves it. "Is that why you wanted me to get a new purse?" followed by "Awe crap, all I got you was a $10 blu-ray."

Powered on and got as far as Enter your BlackBerry ID. Is that found on her BB phone? Was it eMailed to her? She had to run some errands so we will finish setting it up later. And of course she asked "Does this mean I can throw out my old Kindle?"

Come-on BlackBerry, get together with Amazon and play nice.
    Her BlackBerry ID should be the email she uses to sign in to the App World.
    02-14-12 05:28 PM
    There is kindle bar file (Android converted app) which can be installed when OS 2 comes out (currently works in OS2 beta).
    02-14-12 05:30 PM
    Ok thanks.

Now it's time to "Release the Update"
    02-14-12 06:56 PM
    I've had mine since November - find something new everyday I can do with it. Last night my daughter took pics at a friend's 70th BDay party, she used the Scrapbook app to combine them to a collage, added a cool background and uploaded it to Facebook. As we were uploading pictures (could have shot a video too) his friends were posting "likes" for the pics. If she's like me, it won't leave her side too long. I don't use my PC hardly anymore (just will be glad when get Pogo on the PB). Have fun.
    02-14-12 07:38 PM
    Not happy right now. We set it aside to get back to later. About half an hour ago I plugged in the rapid charger to make sure it had a full charge. Now it is stuck on the opening screen. Power button does nothing.

Ok "Willie" at tech support had me REBOOT by:
    Press and HOLD the PowerOn and VolUp keys for about 15 seconds.
    Last edited by Nick Burkhardt; 02-14-12 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Finally unfrozen
    02-14-12 10:31 PM
    Your 90-Day Complimentary Support expires on 2012-02-28, so you have 13 days remaining

Err, I just bought the damn thing.
    02-14-12 11:14 PM
    Ah I'm so sorry to hear that your pb is acting up.
    I would just suggest just exchanging your pb for a new one.

I assure you it is worth the wait if you exchange it!!!
    02-14-12 11:30 PM
    I need to ask a question without sounding like a hater ,, It seems that there are alot of BB Fan boys here , I have been going thru the forums and see that everyone LOVES BB to death but really I need to ask WHY? , BB Playbook isint ready for prime time , Non of the software really works as good as say, Samsung or Apple or Droid. Kindle isint available , video chat or facetime dont work and there is no real decent apps. So compared to the others with all the working APPS in the android market, Really whats the real reason there are so many fans of BB. Is it because most of you got your BB from your work for free and deal with the shortfalls. I dont love any ONE product but here it seems ther is a blind eye to what the market is offering that WORKS NOW and the BB Playbook that is 1/2 finished , and everyone is holding out for something great with 2.0.

Im just asking a question here not trying to rain on anybody's parade.

Why not just go and get a Samsung 7in Galaxy Tab or a Samsung GALAXY S II Smartphone. It has everything working and a FULL Android Market.

Unless your a stockholder or have a financial interest in RIM it really dont make sense?
    02-14-12 11:47 PM
    Opening statement "BB fanboy"?=Troll. Not good. BB fans yes. CB is predominately populated by Blackberry Device users. Have a nice day. Xboxluser. Oops typo. Must be that bad hardware.
    Last edited by albee 1; 02-15-12 at 12:34 AM.
    02-15-12 12:30 AM
    My definition of a FANBOY is somebody that will love something regardless of its ability's or REAL worth and wont HEAR anything negative, even if its true. Just like a mother that loves here sons singing , even though he cant sing , or a father thinks his daughter is beautiful even tho shes ugly .. Thats a fanboy in my opinion.
    Its a Legitimate question, and I own a BB 64gb so i cant be a troll, Ive Rooted mine and the reasons i own one is NOT because i own a BB Phone , its because i was going to get a Kindle fire but it was restricted to 8gb ram so i figured to get a playbook instead , for the extra 100.00 for 64gb ram was smart thing todo , but really its exactly the same as the FIRE. Its OK to ask questions here even if i say the Emperor Has No Cloths"
    Last edited by xboxuser; 02-15-12 at 12:41 AM.
    02-15-12 12:38 AM
    I need to ask a question without sounding like a hater ,, It seems that there are alot of BB Fan boys here , I have been going thru the forums and see that everyone LOVES BB to death but really I need to ask WHY? , BB Playbook isint ready for prime time , Non of the software really works as good as say, Samsung or Apple or Droid. Kindle isint available , video chat or facetime dont work and there is no real decent apps. So compared to the others with all the working APPS in the android market, Really whats the real reason there are so many fans of BB. Is it because most of you got your BB from your work for free and deal with the shortfalls. I dont love any ONE product but here it seems ther is a blind eye to what the market is offering that WORKS NOW and the BB Playbook that is 1/2 finished , and everyone is holding out for something great with 2.0.

Im just asking a question here not trying to rain on anybody's parade.

Why not just go and get a Samsung 7in Galaxy Tab or a Samsung GALAXY S II Smartphone. It has everything working and a FULL Android Market.

Unless your a stockholder or have a financial interest in RIM it really dont make sense?
    Maybe because we actually use it and like what it does? You should try it!
    02-15-12 12:53 AM
    The Kindle Cloud Reader works. You need to use the PlayBook in portrait though and leave the browser open (PlayBook can still go into standby, just dont exit the browser).
    https://read.amazon.com/

Edit: There's another thread that shows a sign saying that OS 2.0 will have a Kindle reader
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...os-2-a-697795/
    Last edited by lotuslanderz; 02-15-12 at 01:07 AM.
    02-15-12 12:58 AM
    Your 90-Day Complimentary Support expires on 2012-02-28, so you have 13 days remaining

Err, I just bought the damn thing.
    An email or call to tech support should re-set that.

Hopefully no other hiccups
    02-15-12 01:01 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD