A tablet above $100? I'm not ballin that hard now

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mvpcrossxover; 07-21-14 at 05:46 PM.
    07-21-14 03:57 AM
    BTW cheap android tab means something of a name brand. Not some $80 tab with no google play access and 4 GB of storage. You can get a nook HD+, kindle fire or a nexus tab for under 160 and they should suite most peoples needs easily
    As I noted above, I have one of those tabs, the current Kindle Fire HD. The Fire is comparable to the PB, in that it is priced similarly and is a name brand 7 inch tab. It is better than the Plabook in that the browser is faster, wifi seems to be a bit more sensitive, and app availability is better. It may be faster overall, though that is somewhat hard to judge without any way to directly compare the two. It's not really any smoother, though, and cannot compare to the playbook when it comes to mutitasking. What it doesn't have that the Playbook does, though is (1) storage- only 8 gig of storage (non expandable with only 5 gig free), (2) cameras (front or rear) (3) microphone, (4) hdmi, and (5) GPS. For these reasons, and others, as I noted above, for many the Playbook would be the better choice.
    07-21-14 05:09 PM
    It was supported until a year ago, which means that the most recent OS upgrade for it was released last year. It's not quite the calibre of BB10 but it's quite good. I have no problem with it. Don't knock it until you've actually tried the most recent version.

No matter how you slice it, the PlayBook is an almost 3 1/2 year old tablet that's no longer officially supported. I can't really recommend anyone buy a tablet that old, BlackBerry or not. Right now I think the best bang for the buck tablet is the Nexus 7. The feel of the device is somewhat reminiscent of the PlayBook (7" form factor, soft touch back, stereo speakers), and it's guaranteed to get the latest Android OS updates for a while.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    07-21-14 09:34 PM
    It was supported until a year ago, which means that the most recent OS upgrade for it was released last year. It's not quite the calibre of BB10 but it's quite good. I have no problem with it. Don't knock it until you've actually tried the most recent version.

lol ive tried it and its a slow mess compared to other tabs out there. The browser was never something to be proud of IMO. The speakers are the only thing that PB beat all other tabs on. It didnt even have a damn email app for about a year! Then when it did finally get one it is slow as molasses . I am sorry but I just cant recommend one unless its just for movies and music.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-22-14 09:54 AM
    Depends what you want it for?

For a 'personal computer' with internet & email access teamed with A+ Media playing aspects.

Its a no brainer.

I always take mine when traveling for email and incase I have to access me banking and stock portfolio.

I couldnt care a less about Geekism & Fad apps that go with the new tablets.
    07-22-14 05:23 PM
    With your past experience you need to get a z30, not a PlayBook...

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 07:57 PM
    If you can find one at a good price then why not. The picture is good along with great sound. You can side load apps to your liking (search in forums for info on how), you can't watch Netflix but you can watch Amazon prime instant videos using the Origami browser with the right settings...at least I've been able to the past few days and also with certain apps you can take advantage of Upnp and stream movies or music to your playbook that you may have stored on your pc or media box with also having upnp capabilities. It's more simple to set up than you think. Anyway, that's my take on it. The playbook is still a great piece of hardware that was never fully taken seriously or to reach its max potential by its creator. It didn't necessarily need bb10 but couldve continued with its current os updates.
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    07-22-14 09:01 PM
    BTW cheap android tab means something of a name brand. Not some $80 tab with no google play access and 4 GB of storage. You can get a nook HD+, kindle fire or a nexus tab for under 160 and they should suite most peoples needs easily
    I think you don't define "cheap" and "most people's needs" correctly. Both are highly subjective. I believe you are wrong based upon what I have read and seen. You obviously feel very strongly about this but it seems to be just an opinion, just like any other, including mine. Perhaps I am mistaken.
    07-22-14 11:54 PM

Not knocking it at all. It's just that the age of the device and the fact that it will no longer receive any future updates is an important factor to consider if someone's going to be spending money on it.
    07-23-14 12:37 AM
    I think at $90-$110, BlackBerry Playbook 4G LTE is a decent buy. I’ve had my experiences with quite a few tablets so if it help, let me elaborate.

First, my primary device is always my mobile phone- Nokia Lumia 925. Earlier, BB Torch 9800 was my primary device. On my primary device, most important is ease of use in all aspects- connectivity, communication, camera. Second it should have a decently large screen which again facilitates easy viewing, navigation etc. And the size of the device again makes it easier to be carried around.

Tablets are always my secondary device and that too for very specific purpose. Between 10in and 7in, the latter is my preferred size. My job requires me working on presentations (80%) & spreadsheets (20%), this is where a larger screen is required. Then I use my devices in my car for navigation, again a larger screen is better here and lastly, when reviewing email attachments or quickly browsing the net, tablets are what I prefer.

Over the years I’ve learnt that even the latest $100-$180 Android tablets are no good. They have the specs, but the way they are all put together these tablets provide atrocious experience (both software & hardware). Moreover these also don’t have much support and are almost never upgradable to the next OS version. I had a Spice and an iBall (Indian/Chinese chepo) tablet.

Then there are the $200-$300 tablets. Good hardware, acceptable build quality, expandability etc make them an attractive choice. Unfortunately they almost always have one or two totally woeful aspects. E.g. Low res screen, bad camera, low storage/ memory, etc. These tablets don’t have a life more than 12-18 months. Which means that later when you want to sell them you rarely get even 50%-60% of their original purchase value. I’ve used Lenovo & Asus from this category.

And then we have the $350+ category. Apple iPads rule here. Even a 2.5 year old second generation iPad is more productive and useful than any cheap Android tablet. It may be a closed eco-system, but it is a sufficient eco-system. I currently own an iPad mini.

So finally, at ~$110, BlackBerry playbook is not a bad choice. It is still better (components & build wise) than any cheap Android tablet. It also does not have any support from the maker but will perform adequately in most cases and deliver average-to-good experience. But it has brand value, great build quality, more storage and connectivity features which are at par with $200-$250 Tablets. And it has the unique ability to run some of the Android apps, making it a device which will at least fulfil the most essential needs expected from tablets- better than mobile phone experience.

But the icing on the cake for me is- @ $110, there is no 4G LTE device that can rival a BlackBerry Playbook.

Therefore I have ordered one for myself from here.

I hope this helps.
    jrsva2008, dazzleaj and dmlis like this.
    07-23-14 03:16 AM
    Yup, I agree that these issues are important to consider. I considered it all and I chose to buy the PB anyway. The most recent OS for it does everything I need, and since it's neither my primary computer nor my primary phone, I'm ok using it for some time as a mobile video and online device. I usually bring my Win 7 Netbook with me when I travel, but the PB is lighter and more easily packed & carried around, even with the BT keyboard. I'm quite pleased. :-)

Not knocking it at all. It's just that the age of the device and the fact that it will no longer receive any future updates is an important factor to consider if someone's going to be spending money on it.
    anon(5597702) and dazzleaj like this.
    07-23-14 03:15 PM
    I hate my playbook. Pos.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 07:38 PM
    Hey punbb,

Surely as a Leaf fan you are used to disappointment, no?
    07-25-14 12:09 PM
    Hey punbb,

Surely as a Leaf fan you are used to disappointment, no?
    Well played. Well played.

Posted via CB10
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    07-25-14 04:24 PM

Check Out TechCraze
    That's funny...

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 08:05 AM
    If it does everything you want it to do for you then I say go for it. But for that price I agree with the consensus you should be able to nab a 32gb.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 02:32 PM
    I had one for two years and found it disappointing, but having used other Android tablets (ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 and Galaxy Tab 3.0 7"), the PB 4G LTE can still be considered a decent buy if you can find one all-in for $90 or less. Some considerations:

-Cheap Android tablets in that price range are garbage. Nexus 7 aside, Android has just represented a laggy mess of an experience at every level I've owned. App switching and multitasking is a bit of a nightmare. Android gets all its good reputation from the excellent performance of its flagship models - the Galaxy S series, Nexus 5/7, Ones, Xperia etc. If it's not in one of those categories, avoid like the plague. For reference, a 2011 PB runs smoother than a 2013 Galaxy Tab 7" class tablet.

-In general, I find most of the applications available and I'm left wanting are better used on a phone. Tablets just aren't that portable, and most of the things I want to do rely on where I am, where I'm going and who I want to talk to. This may be different for every person, but I find app availability to be far more important on a phone or a tablet. I have an iPad which is an excellent resource to my day-to-day, but I hardly have any apps on it. It's mainly used for browsing, viewing documents and streaming video. I think the PB had a decent amount of games covered already. No one really uses Instagram, Snapchat or Viber on their tablet. Sure, Skype is nice but it performs perfectly well on a phone. That said, if you have specific graphic design, engineering, architectural, medical or other professional needs for a tablet... don't get a PlayBook. There will be no support. I occasionally load up GIS and CAD applications on the iPad which is why it became infinitely more reliable and useful for me than the PB ever was.

-Bridge is still a nice feature. I really liked instantly opening whatever I got on my phone onto my tablet as a larger screen to read on when I'm on the go. Emails, spreadsheets, PDFs, links etc. transferred seamlessly from phone to tablet. I also liked the file sharing and ease of transferring things around between my two devices. Bridge was definitely ahead of its time and wasn't properly marketed/utilized by BlackBerry.
    07-28-14 01:35 PM
    I have just begun to use my Playbook with the HDMI output to a 19" LCD TV, it's like a whole new Playbook experience, my 7" screen is now 21" (I wear magnifying reading glasses), text once too small is now perfectly legible. The Playbook is heavier but that's excellent, well built, probably still the only genuine multi-tasker, love running it with finger gestures, together with Flash, great cameras/speakers, I am enjoying my Playbook even more. I am not an Apps guy, I don't Facebook or Twitter, my Playbook is a utility to accomplish life tasks (eg: email, video, surfing, weather etc.) My Playbook runs flawlessly, no tech problems so I have no intention of changing. There are so many used Playbooks in the $50. -$100. range Can. that buying one to play with is not out of the question.
    yokogeri374 likes this.
    08-06-14 07:41 AM
    I would purchase a new PlayBook after mine was destroyed in a fire BUT the PlayBook isn't supported any longer. Not to mention you can't find a BlackBerry mini-keyboard w/ convertible case, which is a must have for me. I believe I am going to move to a Windows Surface Pro tablet.
    08-06-14 09:49 AM
    I would purchase a new PlayBook after mine was destroyed in a fire BUT the PlayBook isn't supported any longer. Not to mention you can't find a BlackBerry mini-keyboard w/ convertible case, which is a must have for me. I believe I am going to move to a Windows Surface Pro tablet.
    Keep looking on EBay...Those keyboard combo sets still show up...Besides its a basic bluetooth keyboard, isn't it? The comparison with a Pro Surface is like little apples to huge oranges in capability (and price). I'd like a Surface for life and work...and a Playbook to have fun with, and if it damaged, I'm not out much, you know.
    08-06-14 06:34 PM
    Keep looking on EBay...Those keyboard combo sets still show up...Besides its a basic bluetooth keyboard, isn't it? The comparison with a Pro Surface is like little apples to huge oranges in capability (and price). I'd like a Surface for life and work...and a Playbook to have fun with, and if it damaged, I'm not out much, you know.
    Well I'm not an Apple or Android fan so there isn't much of a choice out there. I personally would spend the $1200.00 for the Surface Pro 3. Guarantee you if BlackBerry had a table, that is what I would purchase. And don't anyone say the PlayBook. That's like purchasing a watch with no minute hand.
    08-06-14 07:33 PM
    Have to admit the Surface 3 is pretty attractive...not at all a PBk, that's for sure. I'm looking at one, but just cannot for my life justify the cost. Way over my needs. Might be ideal for you though. My Pbk is my fun thing, surfing some, movies, etc. Only so productive. I don't ask it to be something it just cannot be. You, me, many...wish BB would do a BB10 tablet...but not to be it seems.
    08-06-14 07:53 PM
    Have to admit the Surface 3 is pretty attractive...not at all a PBk, that's for sure. I'm looking at one, but just cannot for my life justify the cost. Way over my needs. Might be ideal for you though. My Pbk is my fun thing, surfing some, movies, etc. Only so productive. I don't ask it to be something it just cannot be. You, me, many...wish BB would do a BB10 tablet...but not to be it seems.
    We still have three PlayBook's. My wife, seven year old granddaughter and nineteen year old grandson are still using them daily. I would too if it didn't get drowned by the fire dept. I find it harder to purchase a PlayBook at this time than spending $1200.00 for a surface pro 3. If there was future support, maybe. No support, no way. Don't get me wrong I still like the PlayBook but when that watch looses it's hour hand then what?
    08-06-14 08:10 PM
    We still have three PlayBook's. My wife, seven year old granddaughter and nineteen year old grandson are still using them daily. I would too if it didn't get drowned by the fire dept. I find it harder to purchase a PlayBook at this time than spending $1200.00 for a surface pro 3. If there was future support, maybe. No support, no way. Don't get me wrong I still like the PlayBook but when that watch looses it's hour hand then what?
    Er, well if you get a Playbook then you've lost about $1,100 less - that's probably the major difference. It's cheap and disposable, think of it that way.
    dphjeff likes this.
    08-07-14 08:36 AM
    Er, well if you get a Playbook then you've lost about $1,100 less - that's probably the major difference. It's cheap and disposable, think of it that way.
    Yes, Banco your probably right. The Playbook is or would be a good buy at this time. However I'm not going to purchase something that could be useless tomorrow. I just wish BlackBerry had a new tablet. But the why it looks it's not going to happen. We all know what Thor said about tables. I think he was full of chit but that's me. If one was to go and purchase a TV, would one purchase a 12 inch? He'll no one would purchase the biggest one they could afford. Why would Thor think someone would be happy working with a 3.5 or even a 5 inch screen? We all can testify that BlackBerry's marketing sucks past and present and trying to rely on BlackBerry being a business device alone is ludicrous. Survival is in volume, there isn't volume in business. The past has shown that. Yes there is a need for enterprise and companies will buy into it but what about the small businesses and non- business consumers? Not going to happen. I guarantee there is more small businesses and individual customers out there than big business. Just don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't act like that part of the consumer market doesn't exist and will survive without them.
    The Carriers support of BlackBerry is nonexistent. I am going to share a story. Went into a Sprint store today. I was activating a Windows phone for my wife. She is a full touch screen person and Sprint only offers the Q10, I told the sells person I just purchased it off Ebay so I wouldn't be locked into a contract for two year because they didn't offer a full touch BlackBerry device and would probably switch carriers if things didn't change. Of course he start his chit about BlackBerry was king when the smart phones came out but they couldn't keep up with innovations and the times and to hard to use. He start telling me that Apple and Samsung was the way to go. I told him to pull his phone out and compare it to my Q10. Guess what I smoked him on everything we did. Alls I herd was lame excuses why the Q10 smoked him. Anyways I started telling him about the Passport and the Classic, he had no idea what the he'll I was talking about. I opened Crackberry app and played a video of the Passport. His comment was it's still not a go as the Iphone. I told him that I just smoke you on everything and your going to stand there and talk chit. All by the way you are eligible for a free Samsung table alls you have to do is pay for 1GB for $14.95 per month. I told him I was good and didn't want the piece of crap.
    08-07-14 10:29 PM
53 123